Quitting Smoking with SP

ScaredGirl

Akk....I'm almost up to a month without the smokes and have to admit my anxiety and out look has backslid with the 'valium in a tube'. Anyone else find that?

SG

black_mamba

Is that good or bad? :lol:

I find my anxiety drops a little when I've not smoked for a few days, but I also find that they relieve anxiety in the short term (in the very very short term!) ... for 5 minutes maybe. :D

So, bit of a balancing act.

How/why did you stop smoking ScaredGirl?

ScaredGirl

Hi,

I'm sorry I should have made myself more clear, my restlessness, anxiety, and negativity are all higher since I quit. I know quitting smoking is hard but I'm scared these things won't drop back down.

SG

black_mamba

Damn wish I could offer an insight but I've never not-smoked for longer than a month myself.

Let's hope these are just some temporary obstacles in the way of quitting long term. I'm not massively addicted, so my withdrawal symptoms were mild and only lasted a few days, but once I was over those my body felt a lot more relaxed and more energised to boot.

Good luck to you. :)

Sue

i have givin up smoking so many times and failed. any time i attempt to quit i last 3 days and end up having multiple pannick attacks. thats just me though. i hate smoking but im not giving up again until i get more control over my anxiety.

if you can manage to quit DO IT smoking is really stupid and i cant stand the thought that im wasting all this money just to slowly kill myself. one day i will quit but it wont be any time soon

fair play to you for quitting. you are mega brave keep it up x

ScaredGirl

Hi Black Mamba,

Sorry I missed your last question. I quit smoking for physical health and financial reasons. I used the patch to do it for the first week then cold turkey after that .

Smokes in our county are minimum $9 a pack. For me that translated into $300/month. My husband also smoked which meant between the two of us we were spending at least $600/month. That's the cost of a car loan or mortgage/education fund for our kid so.....it was time to quit for sure.

SG

ScaredGirl

Hi Everyone,

Realistically I used to use smoking time as 'get-a-way' time - meaning time to be alone (don't smoke in house or around kids). So sneaking off for a puff was also a way of getting away from people to get the anxiety that I feel from my SP under control. This quit I've tried to build moments to myself into the day so I can continue doing that without the ciggies or I know my SP anxiety will get out of control then I'll smoke.

'QUITNET' (support forum for people who are quitting) has been very helpful. My heart goes out to hubby though, quitting has been harder for him then me because he smoked more then me so many times I've taken our daughter (age10) away to our campground so he can be alone and gather his marbles too.

SG