Quitting my job

harlseq

Tomorrow I'm going to give my week's notice... my last day will be Saturday. I can't stand to work anymore there and need to get out. This will at least allow them some time to schedule around me once I'm gone.

Any tips on how to actually do this?

I plan to find my boss during my break and hand him my resignation letter and tell him Saturday will be my last day. I'll tell him that the job is simply not working out for me and it would be better for us both if we separated.

I just hate doing this kind of stuff face to face...

Feathers

Hi

I hope you have considered this well, and checked other employment opportunities etc, and that you have some savings or can live with people who can help you out financially or at least you can stay there for free or cheap... And/or some good leads for new income..

Maybe you could rephrase it a bit, (at least leave out 'for me') might say something like, 'Hi do you have a minute, can we talk?' and then something like, 'This doesn't seem to be working out, would a week's notice be okay?' (Is that in your contract?) and 'I'm sure you'll find someone great for this job.' You could even give them suggestions where to advertise to get people for the position, that's what I did once, and they really did get someone who was quite great that way. At the time I had to concentrate on my studies, and that's what I told them. So they were really nice about it. The idea is to try to keep it friendly, you never know maybe in another career your paths might cross again and they could be helpful..

You might also say stuff like it's about finding (whatever you're missing on the job - eg need for more human contact or less, if you're certain you wouldn't want to work there anymore, or they don't have other jobs that could give you that), or say something about personal growth or personal or family matters or whatever?
Or give another credible half-reason that allows you keep bridges and maybe if really necessary get the job back? (Getting someone new for them may be a bit of a hassle so it might be good to be sort of nice about it.)

I think it's best to 'save face' and allow them to 'save face' too, you never know when you might need a recommendation or reference or networking.. Or you might later do some freelancing or part-time stuff for them, if needed andmutually agreed upon.. There's a guy who says in his book that freelancing/outside work (from his own biz) for the same company he worked for before was much better for him..
You can tell which parts about the job you liked (if any) or just something general.

The boss may ask you what you didn't like and some books or sites say to be cautious with this.. Maybe just say, 'I think it would be a great fit for someone else' and point out your specific circumstances (like needing to focus on the family or your studies or whatever) or something?

If you google 'How to quit in a nice way' a lot of articles come up, so take a look..

Last edited:

SilentStranger

How did it go. If you did not quit, please consider your options carefully. If the big problems at work are periodic (ie only high stress sometimes) try to weather the storm. I know its easier said than done.

As others have have said try an plan for how/what you are going to do afterwords and if you think you must quit then plan for your resignation so you leave your options for the future (i.e. referee letters from the current employer).