question

artsy

I have recently been diagnosed with OCD, and in addition to having intrusive thoughts, my mind obsesses over almost everything. When one of my friends broke up with his girlfriend and kissed me, I was terrified the girlfriend was going to kill herself because she was so distraught. It didn't happen. When I almost hit another car in an a car accident that almost happened but didn't, I obsessed over it to the point that I was sure the cops were going to be at my door to tell me that the person was so scared that I almost hit their car that they had a heart attack. I went through a very traumatic move when I was 15, and I was very sensitive around my new classmates. I stopped being able to be myself around people, and when I was ready to get over that and come out of my shell, all I did was obsess about what happened and why I took everything so personally that it was impossible for me to come out of my shell. I guess my question is, do obsessive thoughts have to be "intrusive" nessisarilly for your condition to be considered OCD? Because I think I could benefit from medi-management to stop my obsessive mindset that I've had from birth.

My thoughts used to get the better of me. Now they don't bother me as much. Try ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy), maybe it can help you too.

Aoeu

artsy said:
my question is, do obsessive thoughts have to be "intrusive" necessarily for your condition to be considered OCD? Because I think I could benefit from medi-management to stop my obsessive mindset that I've had from birth.

I would recommend that if your thoughts are causing you distress you should at the very least get the opinion of a mental health professional and see what they recommend. If you can explain to this person what your thoughts are, intrusive or not, in detail and how they make you feel they will be able to give you a diagnosis and give you treatment options.