Question

Stormy4022

Anybody feel nervous when they finally go for help? I am seeing someone next week and worried they may not understand me. It is very hard to really tell someone what is going on with you. 8O

Yossarian

Oh God yes. I was so scared that my doctor would just say there's nothing wrong with, that I should stop being stupid or just pull my socks up etc. I wouldn't know what I would of done if that had happened. I would of been devastated. It didn't happen thankfully.

However in the end it was a really cool thing to do. Remember you can always have second opinions etc. It is your right. I'm sure you won't need to though. It's a brave step you are making so well done. Try if you can to see this as an opportunity to change things. An opportunity to get better. I know it's hard but try to focus on the positive side. That maybe you will get the help you need and that one day you will be able to do all the things you want to but can't.

GettingThere

Its only natural to be scared. If you need support then you could think about taking someone with you (if you have told anyone about "it").

My dealing with Doctors over the years has been alright. You should remember that about three percent of the population has SP/SAD so its not that uncommon and your Doctor should understand.

Ads7800

Nothing to fear, my dear. Easy said, yes; but true also. Doctors are professionals, they don't really "understand" patients unless they've been through the same thing themselves. It isn't really their job; they just diagnose. Trust me when I say the doctor/clinician will not judge you in any fashion, they just want to help.
But I too was worried when I first saw someone about my "weirdness", as I called it. I was afraid they were going to say I was just crazy! But, after proper diagnosis and the beginning of a continuing program of support, I felt great about turning up because they were there to help me.
I hope you will feel the same about your clinician's support when it gets rolling. Just remember to hold nothing back due to fear. Doing this will make it difficult for the other person to help you. Best of wishes. :)