Question to college students

Nervous

My psychologist suggested to me that I try getting assistance from the disabilities office at my university for my social anxiety. So my question is, have any of you gotten assistance for social anxiety. And if so, what kind?

I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'm not liking school so much anymore :(

creep_x

hi i am not in a school now so i wont know
but u ll never know what kind assistance u can get unless u go there & ask them.. maybe after that u can ask for advice here

karut

I'm attending a larger university in the states and we have basic counseling services for stress and such, but nothing aimed specifically for social anxiety. I've learned that professors and advisers can be pretty helpful (or at least they are here). I accepted help from my adviser and it's going pretty well. Also, I have an "appointment" with my Leadership and Learning professor (horrid class that forces you to talk) tomorrow. She didn't say what it was about, but I have a pretty good idea. :wink:

I'd check out your colleges web page or talk with your academic adviser about where to go for assistance since it's probably different for every school. Most universities offer these services for free, so it's definitely something to look into while your there.

miniheli

Im in a college right now. I haven’t went to the disabilities office yet but will if things get to bad. My high school teacher recommended me to go to the disabilities office cause she said "they can allow you to use special typing devices, give you extended time on tests/quizzes and assignments. Many people with SA tend to be more nervous than others (obviously) so extra time on assignments would be fantastic. Just remember one thing, its all up to you. Best of luck to you. :)

autumn_82

miniheli said:
Im in a college right now. I haven’t went to the disabilities office yet but will if things get to bad. My high school teacher recommended me to go to the disabilities office cause she said "they can allow you to use special typing devices, give you extended time on tests/quizzes and assignments. Many people with SA tend to be more nervous than others (obviously) so extra time on assignments would be fantastic. Just remember one thing, its all up to you. Best of luck to you. :)

Yeah, on my campus we have a disabilities office that helps people in those ways. They can help you receive the necessary accomodations to make it through school. They also can help you w/ your dorm situation (like getting a single room which is sometimes a necessity for someone w/ SA). Or at least they do that here.
We also have a Counseling and Student Development office that has psychologists, a psychiatrist, and various support groups (for women, anxiety relief techniques, gay/lesbian/transgendered people, etc.). I went to the Women's group last semester which was good for me. It was a safe environment to talk about issues with my peers. And it was a relief to hear their stories and know that they're struggling with some of the same things I am. I would have loved it if they had a SA group, but no such luck. Still searching for one of those.

But yeah, take advantage of whatever support your school has to offer. No shame. I'm sure lots of people use the services there. I know they do here, that's why appointments are so hard to get!

GloomySunday

I've just come out of university and they had a counsellor to whom students could go for assistance. However, the counselling office was located in a very visible place, along the same coridoor where students go to see their tutors or to look at the noticeboards etc. That prevented me from going to them to talk. It all depends upon the place where you are. If they can offer you genuine anonymity, it might be a good idea. I think it was just foolish planning on my university's part where they put the office. I just didn't want my fellow students seeing me coming and going from that place, because they may ask questions or talk amongst themselves about it, which would have made my problems ten times worse!