Question for people suffering from depression

dannyboy65

If you read my past posts you would know I have bad depression, honestly for as long as I can remember I've always been depressed. Right when I started schooling it started with me and just having a moment of happiness is a big thing for me. Is this how some of you feel? But that's just one question the big question I have is this.

I always ask myself why do I move on? Why don't I give up? When will I have enough of this depression?

I've been trying so hard to talk to people about my depression, but I find it so hard too. I'm suffering in silence, I don't want to suffer anymore. I just don't know a way out. I've tried so much and I still try so hard, it's so tiring. Like why can't I be happy? I don't want to hurt anymore, I just want to live happily. Why is that so hard, it really shouldn't be that hard.

From my experience with both chronic & acute depression, i think the main lesson to learn is that depression occurs when you are already ill (ie i believe that depression is more a symptom of other problems). So i do view depression as having a valid purpose, & not just pointless, lingering suffering for no reason at all. And i certainly agree that its very painful, tiring, exacerbating, frustrating, etc :thumbdown:. But i believe that there is a way to beat it. :thumbup:

Wynstar

As theslowesthand said, depression maybe a symptom of other problems. What is your diet like? You may want to cut out most of the processed food and eat mostly vegetables and fruit. Also, make sure you're not drinking water with fluoride in it. These might be difficult changes to make, but if you change gradually you can probably succeed. Also, do you get exercise everyday? Getting exercise seems to help improve your mood particularly if it is out in nature.
Did you know that the gut is involved with either serotonin production or uptake (I forget which)? You may want to check that you don't have intestinal problems such as yeast overgrowth.
I used to have depression and it definitely sucks. It is one of the worst things in the world. You can get over it but it takes considerable time and effort.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Ive had bad depression and been in some pretty dark places. I've thought about 'opting out' quite a few times.
I guess the thing that stops me from doing it is I know I'll die one day anyway. So why go looking for death? Forever is a long time to be dead..

The other reason is I know life can change. Maybe you'll meet someone in the most unexpected way, and that person can change your whole life and outlook on life.
If I opted out, that never has a chance to happen.

I also look back on the times I've experienced things and I am glad I was around to experience those things.

I also hope they will discover how to cure depression one day and it will be as easy as treating some other minor ailment.

SpaceTime

I've been feeling down recently too, maybe not full blown depression but heading that way.
The other reason is I know life can change. Maybe you'll meet someone in the most unexpected way, and that person can change your whole life and outlook on life.
If I opted out, that never has a chance to happen.
Thanks for this, its a very good and important point. Lots of things can change, meeting new friends or partners, moving to a new place, getting a new job... My life has been through many ups and downs and when you're down its hard to think straight and remember that these things often are in cycles. I'm gonna hang on to that thought. Thanks Pug.:thumbup:

Best wishes danny, maybe try to get yourself out amongst folk and see if you can make a few small changes that move things forward a bit. Hard to do I know from my experience as a very shy person, but try some little steps first, maybe theres a group or something you could join? Theres some proverb isnt there about the biggest journey starts with a single step. You and me both bro.

Blueborn

I find it very hard to make a general assessment on this, as I'm in a similar situation and only have improved recently on medication. Right now I'm trying to get better by focussing on very basic things like enough sleeping time, helpful routines in everyday life, no junk food, etc. Another important part is simply avoiding things that will have a bad effect on me. I guess a lack of motivation should be very familiar for you, for me this usually gets worse with unhealthy attempts to compensate for my mental distress, like drinking coffee or spending hours at the PC. Pretty much anything with addictive tendencies to it will drain me down further in depressive state, so I try to replace this with actual activities that will keep me occupied in a productive manner.
Depression is definately a very dangerous condition, especially when you've lost track on your self assessment and what you actually want in life. But in the end all I can only tell you is to have a very rational look on your situation: Which habits affect you negatively, what are your strengths or how could you find them out, what obstacles cause you the most distress?
Maybe contrary to some people here I think that the typical outlook for a greater "meaning" in life can be very unhelpful in this situation, potentially serving as just another means of compensation and distraction from the real causes of the depression, which nobody can estimate from the distance of course. It also can be very difficult to really estimate one's personal strengths when the typical day is just filled with the harmful and unproductive habits usually attached to this condition. These mess with our emotional responses, so we might get passionate about things, which lead us nowhere in life.
Sorry if this sounds like commonplace to you, I just want to point out the importance of a solid basis for further goals in life imo, so taking stress out of everyday life as well as introducing helpful routines and acitivities might already help. Just don't take all the turmoil and failures too personally, since this will make everything worse and distract you further from working on your situation. Easier said than done admittedly, hopefully you have some professional care on your side.