putting yourself out first

Lotrsfan

I have been on this gateway to work 2 week programme (it's a course where they help you get a job, make/update your CV, do spec and cover letters, job searching on computer etc etc) i was transfered over there from the jobcentreplus. At the end of the programme Friday, we have to do a one to one review with the person who took the programme and he said i have alot to offer an employer and i am presentable etc but he said i need to be more like come out of myself abit because i am quiet and i need to put myself forward sometimes because people like you often tend to get left out etc etc. He said i can see you are a nice person but you tend to hide yourself and i see you like being on your own. And i nodded and was like "err...yeah..yeah."

So it was good that he told me he could see an employable, presentable, nice person. But then tending to have to put myself out to people first because you can tend to get forgotten about is hard.

When i was on the course, i didn't really talk to anyone there, only when they spoke to me (which was really like never lol) I just wanted to get on with the course. Everyone else was sorta getting on and had their people they talked/hung around with. But it seemed like most of them didn't put themselves out first in talking like on their first day. They had people talking to them first. But it seems with me, i have to talk first.

There was three girls there that hung out together, i dunno which one spoke first to each other in order fo them to become friends. But they smoke so i guess one of them said "Do you smoke. You want to come out for a fag."
It's ok if you have something to break the ice. But i couldn't start a conversation like that because i don't smoke.
On the second day in the morning as we were waiting to go into the training room. I was sitting at a table where you have your lunch/tea. And one of those three girls came in, signed in and sat down at my table. She didn't say nothing. Then the two other girls came in together, signed in and sat down at the sides of me. Spoke to that girl, "Hi, you alright." but with me they just ignored me like i wasn't there.
That girl did not put herself out first to say hi to them so i thought why should I but they still spoke to her first.

Carol

Conversation is like anything else: You get better by practicing. Go someplace that's far enough away from your home that you won't have to worry about seeing any of the people there again, and practice starting conversations. You won't have to be nervous if you aren't ever going to see those people again. But it will be good for you just to get some experience being outgoing and conversing with others. Who cares if people don't respond the way you want them to, the first time. Keep practicing, and after awhile, conversation will feel more natural.

lettypagb

same thing with me ,i always ask myself ,like why are they talking to them and not with me ? can somebody explain this?

Marie1988

because they have never spoken to you before. and they already knew that girl from the day before, thats why they said hi to her, they wouldnt ingore her and start talking to you.
you have to involve yourself if you want to be included in things mate.
also when the girl came to sit down did you egnoledge them? (sorry i cant spell) did you smile at them or anything?
because imagin this. you walk in. and see someone sitting down at a table. you walk over...they are reading there book. looking at there book. you sit down. they dont look at you and carry on reading their book. how likely are you to think that person wants to talk? your not. if that person looked at you and smiled, you would proberly say hiya.
dont get offended about things because you cant control them. If you would of said hi to them and they ignored you, then yeh their arseholes, if you didnt say anything, and they didnt say nothing, its purely nothing was said and nothing more, no hidden meaning, no bad intentions.
try and give people some slack, inless your prepered to pick up the slack.