psychotherapy, what is it like?

zyxockjm

I'm finally scheduled to visit a therapist in two weeks. I'm sure many people here have already visited therapists before. What is the first session about? What does the therapist make you do? And how long does psychotherapy take?

Don't suggest me to visit any link because I want to hear from people who have taken psychotherapy. Also, is there anyone who found it useless?

Chilling__Echo

hm it depends on who you see. i've seen 5-6 different people (through the university i've been to different ones for free, some counselors, some not) and only one did i actually ask to see someone else afterwards b/c of dissatisfaction. the one counselor that i saw wasn't very helpful, she just wanted to chat more than help me out.

but most of the time, the first time you go you fill out a background and current feelings survey kind of thing and they look at that to verify your main problems, ask you why you came, but don't pry too much. depending on who you see it's either an hour or a half hour. congrats on scheduling an appointment and hope it goes well. let us know how it goes

wutnow

zyxockjm said:
And how long does psychotherapy take?
Also, is there anyone who found it useless?

It's only as quick as you take whatever part of the therapy you believe to be worthwhile and apply it to everyday living. It's useless when you listen to alot of things (good or bad, effective, bogus, or what) and do absolutely nothing with the information.

If you go and you don't like it, don't go back till you feel like you want to try it again or try something completely different. Find another counsellor, psychologist, psychiatrist, mentor, religion, whatever.

Find out what works for you :D .

Keep trying :D .

Hellraising

grumblina said:
Counseling is considered an exchange of opinions and ideas to effectively problem solve an individual’s daily living issues associated with his or her emotional, cognitive, or behavioral problems.

Psychotherapy is a form of treatment for emotional problems in which a therapist establishes a relationship with an individual for the purpose of modifying self-defeating patterns of behavior and promoting positive personality growth and development. Psychotherapy is generally undertaken to gain self-knowledge.

Uhhh... it still sounds the same to me.

redlady

The sessions that i had with psychiatrists were useless. The first guy i went to tried to convince me that i didn't have a problem because i looked and sounded pleasant. No shit! As if i am going to walk outside of my house and present myself in a way that is going to attract negative attention to me - that's the whole fear - did not bother to return. The 2nd one opened me up to a world of breathing exercises for $150.00 per half hour session. She was nice which is the only reason why i returned and i thought any minute now she'll do something for me - never happened.
If i am to be honest part of the failure was to do with me as well - i should have spoken up. Tomorrow i have an appointment with another psychiatrist and i intend to do just that and be completely and unabashedly HONEST, no matter how embarresed or ashamed i feel.

redlady

I wanted to make another reply as my first was quite negative - don't be disheartened zyxockjm by it, i realise that those two people are just that -two measly people in a very big profession. That's why i am trying again with someone new. This time i will be a bit more proactive in my sessions and will see what that does for me. All i can say to you is be honest and try and be open.