Propranolol for Performance Anxiety?

IreneIesu

Hello:) I've struggled with depression/anxiety for 15+ years. Currently on Bupropion + Prozac and this combo seems to be helping me so far. If I don't have to go out and meet people, I'm perfectly fine. But when I have to attend a social event, I feel super uneasy and often take Xanax.

I think the root of the reason I'm apprehensive of social events is performance anxiety. Even though I rarely would be put in a public speaking type of situation, I still feel "I have to perform" to look cheerful (not-gloomy) so people have a pleasant time with me. It makes me nervous obsessing over if I'm saying the right thing or don't look/sound strange.

I even do this with my family and close friends. I just can't help it. I pull through it okay most of the time (my friends didn't notice I have depression/anxiety issues until I told them), but it takes a lot out of me and leaves me utterly exhausted. Social events have become such an onerous task and not something I'd look forward to.

I heard doctors often prescribe a blood pressure medicine (beta-blocker) Propranolol for performance anxiety. I read user reviews where people had very satisfactory results. I'm wondering if anyone in this forum used the med, if so, can you share the experience with me, the pros and cons of the med? I'm hoping it can be taken on an as-needed basis, and I don't have to take it every day for it to be effective.

I used it for class presentations. It worked brilliantly for me. :thumbup:

No more heart beating out of my chest.
No more hands shaking so bad the first half of the class could see it.
I could breathe properly! :)

You should only take it on a need only basis as it is not good for your system, but a doctor will discuss that with you. There are different doses though so if a lower dose does not work for you just go up with the dose (under medical supervision of course).
I did not have any bad side affects.

IreneIesu

Thank you for your reply! :) It's good to know that you can take it only when you need it and you didn't experience any bad side effects.

What is the dosage you take and how long does the effect last? The effective dosage seems to vary from person to person, but between 10 and 60mg? Is extended-release better if you're attending an event for long hours, such as a class reunion or wedding?

Thank you for your reply! :) It's good to know that you can take it only when you need it and you didn't experience any bad side effects.

What is the dosage you take and how long does the effect last? The effective dosage seems to vary from person to person, but between 10 and 60mg? Is extended-release better if you're attending an event for long hours, such as a class reunion or wedding?
I was given a 40mg dose and that worked fine for me.
A relative of mine was given a 10 mg dose and it did nothing for them, so you may need to try a bit higher than the 10mg dose, depending on how bad your anxiety is. It is always best to consult a doctor with your dosage amount. A doctor will also be able to advise you on how long each dose will work for you etc.

My dose of 40mg is effective for roughly 4 hours, but you need to ask a doctor because I am sure it would affect different people for a different length of time. Good luck :)

IreneIesu

My doctor prescribed me 20mg of propranolol, but not really as for performance anxiety, but for hypertension. About a half year ago, my blood pressure went up to 150/110 after taking Effexor for a few months (so I had to discontinue it). Since then, I was on Metoprolol (another beta-blocker). So my doctor said "If you want to try propranolol, we can switch your BP meds." and instructed me to take it every day (once a day) just as I did with Metoprolol ...

My understanding was that, for occasional extreme anxiety, you take it an hour or so before the anticipated event ... So I don't know if taking a small dose every day would be just as effective? But my doctor did say we can increase the daily dosage if I don't feel a relief from my anxiety symptoms (palpitation, sweating, etc.) ...

I wonder if prescribing beta blockers for severe anxiety on an as-needed basis is 'off-label' use of the med? If so, then perhaps my doctor being rather conservative (kinda stickler to regulations), maybe she doesn't want to prescribe the med in a way that the FDA hasn't approved ...

Anyway, I just took my first dose today ... so let's see how I do in a stressful social situation. But thank you, hearing firsthand from someone who used the med helps a lot. I really appreciate your input! :thumbup: