POSITIVE Religious Thread

LA-girl

I recall some comments earlier of people feeling excluded in the Positive Christian post-thread. There was some suggestions of naming the thread religious in stead...so here it is.

This is not supposed to be a debate thread, and try to keep those negative comments minimal!

If anyone think this is a bad idea, feel free to make a comment!

LA-girl

The famous story of Joseph with a little twist!
http://www.holyspiritinteractive.net/kids/biblestories/31_josephthedreamer.asp

joedrem3.jpg

dadbest.gif

..that's what Joseph's big brothers thought.

They were sure their father liked Joseph best.

In some ways they were right. Joseph was the baby of the family. And new babies aren't much good at hunting, or watching sheep. Mostly they just roll around and cry a lot, and you have to do everything for them. So, when baby Joseph came along, of course Jacob spent a lot of time with him. Well, that, and babies are just so cute!

But, Joseph's brothers didn't like it.

And they didn't like Joseph.

They were jealous. They wanted Dad to spend time with THEM. And so as Joseph got older, they picked on him. It was easy to do because they were bigger and stronger. When Dad wasn't looking, they bossed little Joseph around. They put beetles in his bed. They were always making him do stuff for them - like he was their slave or something.

Well, one day they were all going to be in for a BIG surprise!
Of course, being mean to someone their father loved probably wasn't the best idea. Did they think hurting Joseph would make their father love them more? That wasn't too smart.

When Joseph was old enough, he went to work out in the fields with his brothers, watching over the sheep.

Joseph was 17 now, and his brothers still didn't like him much.

It probably didn't help things that when Joseph went home at night, he told his father when his brothers were goofing around instead of working.

It really didn't help things much when one day, Jacob gave his son Joseph a new coat.

It was a wondrous coat!

It had long sleeves and was made of many colors. Joseph was so proud! He wore his new coat everywhere he went.

Well, that did it!

Now Joseph's brothers were SURE their father liked Joseph best. And maybe he did. But Jacob loved each of his sons, and would have given his life for any one of them.

Then one night, Joseph had a dream.

The next morning, they were all sitting down for breakfast (you can be sure it wasn't Cheerios or Cap'n Crunch! - more like goat's milk and cheese. Yum!). And Joseph said, "You should have seen this dream I had! I dreamed that we were all out in the field, bundling our wheat together into sheaves. All of a sudden, my sheaf stood up all on its own - and then all of your sheaves made a circle around mine and bowed down to it!"

"Yeah, right!" said Reuben, as he reached over and finished Joseph's cup of goat's milk.

"Hey! Cut that out!"

"Make me, you dreamer! You think you are going to be the boss of us?!!" And all the other brothers laughed and poked at Joseph.

That night Joseph had another dream. The next morning at breakfast he told his brothers his new dream. "Last night I dreamed the sun, the moon and eleven stars were bowing down to me!"

"Oh Great and Mighty Joseph!" his big brother Levi said, and bowed down to Joseph - and then he swiped his cheese. All his other brothers laughed and teased Joseph all the more. "Dreamer! Dreamer!"

Poor Joseph didn't know what to do. He told his dream to his father, and even his father had enough of his nonsense, "You think your mother, your brothers and I are going to bow down and worship you?!"

But, it wasn't nonsense.

It was from God.

TO BE CONTINUED! :wink:

NEXT UP: THE PITS!

LA-girl

Hmmmm....does this start to resemble a sunday-school class? LOL! :roll: :lol:

OK, I will answer your question in this post GIOLANDA! The post-limit-thing again!

About the story of Joseph, yes I agree it is one of my favourite stories in the Bible. Well, I must admit I haven't read all the stories yet...but so far it's on the top of my list! :D

You asked what you can post on this thread...well I was thinking religious posts that has a positive message? I don't know was it a bad idea? I just remember Jinxed suggested this once in a post somewhere so that no-one should feel excluded...

GIOLANDA

Joseph is one of the most beautiful stories of the Bible,good idea to post it. But tell me,LA-girl,what we can post here exactly?

LA-girl

thepits3.gif

badth4.gif

josph.gif

"Here I am!" Joseph answered his father one day.

"Go see what your brothers are up to."

"Yes, Father," Joseph said.

There is another reason why Joseph's brothers probably didn't like him very much. He always wanted to please his father - and they didn't.

bah-bah-bah.jpg

But let's see what comes of that.

Joseph's 11 brothers were out in the pastures tending their sheep, and Jacob wanted to know how they were. And so he sent Joseph out to check on them. Little brothers are good at spying for their parents! And there's ANOTHER reason why sometimes they aren't liked very well by their older brothers and sisters!

But it wasn't really that Jacob was spying on his sons. He cared about all his children deeply, and he wanted to make sure they were all right. He also knew that people can get into trouble when they think that no one is watching.

And he was right.

So Joseph set out for the distant pastures.

But he couldn't find his brothers anywhere. Once again, they weren't where they said they would be.

A stranger found Joseph wandering around in the fields.

"Are you looking for something?" the stranger asked.

"I am looking for my brothers - the sons of Israel. Do you know where they are?"

"Sure do," the stranger said. "They were here a while ago. I heard them say that they were going to go to Dothan."

"Thanks!" Joseph said, and he began to walk to Dothan.

He was still a ways away, when the colors of his coat, shining in the bright sun, caught the eye of his older brother Levi. "Oh brother! Here comes that dreamer Joseph - in his fancy-schmancy coat!"

"Now is our chance!" one of the brothers said.

"Let's get rid of Joseph and his dreams once and for all! Let's kill him and throw his body into this pit here in the wilderness. We can say a wild animal ate him. There is no one around. Father is far away. Who will know?"

They thought no one could see them - and so they thought they could get away with - well, murder.

But, they were wrong. Someone COULD see them.

GOD could see them.

"Great plan!" one brother said to the other.

"Good idea!"

"Let's do it!"

But something inside the heart of the oldest brother Reuben told him that he should be looking out for his little brother - not looking to kill him. And so he said, "No, let's just throw him into the pit - we don't want his blood on our hands." Secretly, he was planning to come back later and rescue his little brother.

So when Joseph got near enough, they grabbed him.

They ripped off his fancy coat - the one they were so jealous of - and threw Joseph into a hole in the ground.

These were his very own brothers, the ones he looked up to, the ones he loved so much.

Joseph looked up from the pit with tears in his eyes.

He felt so alone. His brothers hated him, his father was far away.

But he wasn't alone. God was with him, even in that deep, dark pit.

Meanwhile, it was getting late in the morning, and the brothers were hungry. "Hey, isn't it time for lunch?" Dan said.

They cared more about their own stomachs than they cared about their brother. And that's what causes most of the trouble in the world.

And so they sat down for lunch.

"Pass me Reuben's sandwich!" Dan said.

joeshp5.gif

Just then, a caravan of Ishmaelites came riding by.

(If you remember, a long time ago Joseph's great grandfather Abraham had two sons; Isaac and Ishmael. The Ishmaelites were the other side of the family, and though God loved them just as much, they were not part of God's Chosen People. Still, God was about to use them to save his servant Joseph.)

The Ishmaelites' camels were loaded with things to sell in Egypt. And that gave Judah an idea.

"Hey, guys!" Judah said. "Let's be traders too! We can sell Joseph to these Ishmaelites. That way we can get rid of Joseph and make some money on the deal besides!"

And so, that's just what they did.

They pulled poor, dirty and bewildered Joseph from the pit and sold him to the Ishmaelites for 20 pieces of silver. That's all their little brother was worth to them.

joesold.gif

Artist conception. Probably not very accurate!
Now, you might think it was just lucky for Joseph that that caravan came by when it did. But it wasn't luck at all. That caravan could have come by yesterday, or it could have come by tomorrow. But, no, God sent that caravan at just the right time - just like he always does.

God is always at work. And God has a plan.

DON'T MISS TOMORROWS EXCITING NEXT CHAPTER: UPS & DOWNS! :D

LA-girl

cLavain said:
LA-girl needs a full time job... :wink: J/K

ROFL! :lol: Apart from my part-time regular work...This IS a full time job!
It might not give me the life and wealth of Donald Trump or Paris Hilton...but still....:lol:

EDITED BY MYSELF! SORRY DONALD! I was mean! *Slapping myself on the cheek!*

gallery1.jpg

Go ahead Donald! I guess I deserve it... :roll:

LA-girl

upsanddowns.gif

letssee.gif

Joseph was Jacob's little baby, and Jacob loved him very much. That was a good thing. :D

But then, Joseph's older brothers got jealous and were mean to him. That was a bad thing. :twisted:

Jacob gave Joseph a wonderful new coat. A good thing. :D

But that made Joseph's brothers REALLY jealous. A bad thing again. :twisted: Joseph's brothers were so jealous, they decided to kill him. A really bad thing! :twisted: :evil:

But, at the last minute they decide NOT to kill him - a good thing - :D but to throw him into a pit instead.

Bad again! :twisted:

But then Joseph's brothers decide to drag Joseph OUT of the pit, a good thing - :D and sell him to some traveling merchants, so he would never see his family again.

Joseph had to be wondering WHAT was going on! :roll:

But life is like that.

Sometimes there are good times and sometimes there are bad times. But ALL the time, God is with us. But even more than that, sometimes God uses what seem like the worst times to do something wonderful. THAT'S what was going on!

.......................................................................................................

Story continues:

Meanwhile, the caravan of traveling merchants arrived in Egypt. Now, I suppose they could have sold Joseph to just any old Egyptian, who lived in some out of the way part of town, and we would have never heard of him again.

But that's not what God had in mind.

Instead, they sold Joseph to a man named Potiphar. And Potiphar just happened to be an officer in the court of the Pharaoh, the king of all Egypt.

sbtv.h18.jpg

Well, of course it didn't just happen that way. God planned it that way!

But Potiphar wasn't just any officer in the Pharaoh's court, he was the captain of the Palace guard. He was a big cheese in Egypt, and Joseph was in an important place.

So Joseph went from a pit in the wilderness to live in the beautiful house of a very rich and powerful man in the land of Egypt. A bad thing turned into a good thing again!

God was with Joseph, and he blessed him.

Everything Joseph did for his master turned out well. Really well. His master Potiphar saw this, and he was no dummy. He said to himself, "Why don't I just let Joseph run everything, and then EVERYTHING will turn out well!"

And that's just what he did.

Potiphar made Joseph his personal servant, and he put him in charge of all that Potiphar owned.

And God was with Joseph. God blessed Potiphar's house and all the crops in his fields and everything he owned.

All Potiphar had to worry about was what was for dinner!

But, even then, trouble was just around the corner. Again!

Okay, Joseph was a hunk.He was handsome and strong, and if he was alive today, you would probably see his picture on People magazine while you were waiting in line at the grocery store to buy a Milky Way candy bar.

peoplemagazinejune150.jpg

The trouble hiding around the corner was Potiphar's wife. She saw how strong and handsome Joseph was. And she wanted him.
"Kiss me!" she said to Joseph one day while no one was looking.

Potiphar was away, working in another part of the house. Potiphar's wife grabbed Joseph as he walked by. "Kiss me!" she said again.

mouth.gif

"I can't do that!" Joseph said. "My master trusts me! He has put me in charge of everything he owns. It is just like everything is mine. But he is your husband. How can you ask me to kiss you??!! That would be wrong! And God would not be pleased with me at all."

But Potiphar's wife would not give up.

Day after day, she secretly grabbed him and tried to kiss him. But Joseph always said no.

But one day, there was no one at home. Potiphar and all the other servants were away. And Potiphar's wife saw her chance. She grabbed Joseph by the robe and wouldn't let him go.

"I will not kiss you!" Joseph said, and he ran away so fast he left his coat in her hand.

Now Potiphar's wife was angry. She was so angry that Joseph would not have her that she decided to get even. She had a terrible idea.

She screamed!

scream.jpg

"Help me!!! Help me!!! This servant of my husband came into my bedroom and tried to kiss me!!!" By then, the other servants had come back home, and they came running into her bedroom and saw her standing there. "Look!" she said, "When I screamed, he tried to run away. He ran away so fast, he left his coat!"

yosef.jpg

That night, she told the same lie to her husband. "See, what I am saying is true. He came into my room. He even left his coat!"

Potiphar was furious.

andy_angry.jpg

He called for his servants at once. That very night they broke into Joseph's room and dragged him out of bed, and they threw him into a cold, dark prison cell.

Things looked pretty terrible for Joseph again.

And maybe that night, Joseph sat in his cell, shivering and scared. Maybe he sat there with his head in his hands wondering why all this was happening. "God, where did you go?" He might have even cried. :cry:

sadman.jpg

If only he could see the amazing things God had planned.

But he couldn't just then. For now, all he could do was trust in God, because God was with him. But, boy, it sure didn't seem like it.

But that's how it is. Even in the darkest times, God is still with us. And even then God is at work on a wonderful plan.

To be continued.....

LA-girl

thebutler.gif

oncthin3.gif

But, do you know what? They were.

There was something about Joseph.

He gave himself to God, and he let God lead him in everything he did. It was like the light of God's presence was there, wherever he went - even in a cold dark prison.

JOSEPH-jail-_jpg.jpg

That's what God wants for all of us. God wants us to be the light of His presence wherever we are.

The chief jailer must have seen that in him, something maybe he couldn't even explain. But he liked Joseph right from the start. And before long, he put Joseph in charge of the whole prison.

And God was with Joseph, and blessed him in everything he did.

Time went by, and it happened that the Pharaoh's butler and his baker must have been having a bad day. Maybe the butler spilled a goblet of wine in the Pharaoh's lap. Or maybe the baker's sticky buns were too sticky.
Or maybe they offended Pharaoh much more seriously than that.

But whatever happened, Pharaoh was not pleased with them. And when Pharaoh is not pleased, believe me, NO one is pleased!

And so he had the Butler and the Baker thrown in jail.

They were there for a long time.

Now, it also just so happened that they were thrown into the same prison where Joseph was. And before long, the Chief Jailer made Joseph their servant. Of course, this didn't just happen. God was working out his plan. A very big, wild, wonderful plan.

One night, the Butler and the Baker each had a dream. They were very strange dreams, and the next morning, they were both upset.

"You look troubled," Joseph said when he brought them their gruel that morning (you don't get bacon and eggs for breakfast in prison! You don't get pancakes, french toast and waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. Nothing like that! Nothing but gruel. Nasty gruel for breakfast, nasty gruel for lunch, nasty gruel for dinner - even nasty gruel for dessert. Well, maybe you would be lucky NOT to get dessert).

pancakes.jpg

Anyway, when Joseph set their bowls of gruel down in the dirt, the Baker said, "We both had very strange dreams last night. We are sure they mean something, but we don't know what!"

"Only God knows what dreams mean," Joseph said. Joseph knew that everything we have, and everything we can do comes from God.

"But, tell me your dreams, and maybe God will give me the meaning."

And so the Butler and the Baker each told Joseph what they dreamed.

NEXT: Good news and Bad news

LA-girl

goodnbn2.gif

thbutlto.gif

“In my dream,” he said, “I saw a grapevine with three branches. All of a sudden, leaves began to grow on the branches, and then blossoms, and then grapes. When the grapes were ripe, I picked some and squeezed them into the Pharaoh’s cup and brought it to him.”

“I have good news!” Joseph said. :D

“Here is what your dream means. The three branches stand for three days. In three days, you will be lifted up from this cold, dark prison. You will be set free, and you will be restored to your Master’s house!”

And then Joseph added, “When you are back, serving in Pharaoh’s house, please remember me. Put in a good word for me with Pharaoh, and help me get out of prison, because I did nothing wrong.”

Now, when the Baker heard the good news about the Butler’s dream, he thought, ‘Whew! That IS good news! I can’t wait to hear what my dream means!’

And so he grabbed Joseph by the arm and said, “I had a dream too!

“In my dream, I was carrying three baskets on my head. In the top basket there were all kinds of tasty baked goods for Pharaoh, and the birds were eating them.”

Joseph’s paused a moment, not knowing quite how to say what he had to say. “I am afraid for you the news is not so good. :(

“The three baskets stand for three days. And in three days, you will be lifted up too. But it won’t be like the Butler is going to be lifted up. You are going to be lifted up - Pharaoh is going to cut off your head, and hang your body on a pole for the birds to eat.”

That’s pretty scary! 8O

scared%20monkey.jpg

But it has to be scary, because it is a warning. At the end of our life, each of us will be like either the Butler or the Baker.

Jesus was like both.

The Baker offended his Master, and he had to suffer the punishment for it. Jesus was like the Baker. Jesus was lifted up on a pole when he was put to death on the cross. Only Jesus suffered for OUR offenses, not his own.

But then, just like the Butler, after three days in a cold dark tomb, Jesus was lifted up to live in his Father’s house forever.

And so, when we come to the end of our life, everyone who believes in Jesus will be like the Butler. That is the Good News! We will be lifted up with Jesus, and we will live with him in our Master’s house forever.

But everyone else will be like the Baker. And that will not be good news at all.

There is Good News, but there is the bad news too. And that is something important to remember.

Well, three days later, it was Pharaoh’s birthday.

And Pharaoh gave himself a great party to celebrate how wonderful and mighty he was. Pharaohs can do stuff like that!

“Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me!”

BIRTHDAY.JPG

Pharaoh must have been in a very good mood, because he forgave the Butler. He even invited him to his party, and gave him his old job back in the palace.

But things were not so happy for the Baker. It all happened just as Joseph said it would.

But the moment the Butler returned to the palace, he forgot all about Joseph, and never said a word to Pharaoh about him..... :roll:

LA-girl

pharaoh's-dream-3b.jpg

pharaoh's-phive.gif

pharaoh's-two.gif

But two long years went by since Joseph helped the Butler - and the Butler never said a word to Pharaoh about Joseph.

Nice guy!

But, I guess it is an easy thing to do when you are living in a magnificent palace, where there are rows and rows of stone columns as big as trees, polished marble floors, and gold statues everywhere you look.

When you have plenty of scrumptious things to eat, and all kinds of fancy stuff and cool things, it’s easy to forget about the people who don’t.

And that’s just what the Butler did. He forgot all about Joseph in chains, back there in that cold dark prison.

But God didn’t.

pharaoh-well.gif

One night, Pharaoh had a dream.

In his dream he was standing by the Nile River, when all of a sudden he saw seven cows come up from the river. These were seven big, fat cows, and they began to munch on the reeds on the river bank.

fat-pink-bull.jpg

But then, he saw seven different cows come up from the river. These cows were all thin and ugly. They looked REALLY hungry - like they could eat a cow.

292_3.jpg

The seven thin and ugly cows ate the seven fat cows!

And that's just what they did.

kingsdreampic.gif

Pharaoh sat up in his bed. "Whoa! That's freaky!" he said. (Okay, he really didn't say that! He probably said something in Pharaoh-ese - but that's probably what he was thinking!)

And then he fell back in his bed and went back to sleep.

He had another dream.

In this one, he saw seven heads of grain. They all grew from the same stem, and they were all healthy and full.

But then he saw seven new heads of grain grow up from the same stalk. These were all thin and scorched by the east wind.

And then the seven thin heads of grain swallowed up the seven healthy ones.

grain.jpg

Pharaoh sprang up in his bed again.

"What was that all about?!!!!" he said out loud.

The next morning, he couldn't get the strange dreams out of his head. "They must mean something," he thought.

And so Pharaoh sent for all the magicians and wisemen of Egypt.

“Tell me what my dreams mean!” Pharaoh demanded.

Oh, oh! How could they do that?! The magicians and wisemen of Egypt all huddled together in the great hall of that magnificent palace, scratching their heads, trying to figure out what to say. If they didn't come up with something quick, they might not have any heads left to scratch!

"Oops!" the Butler thought just then.

It wasn’t because he had spilled wine on the Pharaoh again, but because he just remembered Joseph.

"Your majesty, please forgive me," he said, "I should have told you this a long time ago. But back when you had the Baker and me thrown into prison, there was a Hebrew slave there. We had strange dreams too, and this Hebrew slave told us what our dreams meant. And everything came to pass just as he said it would."

"Bring me this Hebrew!" Pharaoh shouted.

At once Pharaoh's servants grabbed Joseph and dragged him from his cell.

Now you can't exactly go and stand before the king of all of Egypt wearing filthy rags and smelling like you haven't had a bath in two years - the stink would knock the Pharaoh right off his throne!

And then you would be in BIG trouble!

And so they let Joseph shave and shower and they gave him a new set of rags to wear.

And then they brought him to stand before the great and mighty Pharaoh.

"I am told that you can tell the meaning of dreams. Is this true?"

"No it is not," Joseph said.

"WHAT?!!!" Pharaoh screamed. The Butler gulped.

angry.gif

Pharaoh was about to REALLY lose his temper. But then Joseph added,

"I cannot tell the meaning of another man’s dreams - but God can. Tell me your dreams, and maybe God will tell me the meaning for you."

And so Pharaoh told Joseph his dreams.

When he was finished, Joseph said, "Both of your dreams mean the same thing. God is telling you what he is about to do.

"The seven fat cows, and the seven fat heads of grain stand for seven good years. For seven years there will be lots of rain, your crops will overflow, and there will be more than enough food for everyone.

"But the seven skinny cows, and the seven thin heads of grain scorched by the east wind stand for seven years of a great famine.

"The land will dry up, your crops will wither and die, and your people will cry out for food. It will be so bad, everyone will forget the seven good years that came before.

"That is what God is going to do," Joseph said. "And he gave you two dreams to make sure you got the message! God has sent you this warning, so you can be prepared.

"This is what you must do. You must find a wise and able man, a man who is filled with the Spirit of God.

"Put this wise and able man in charge of all of Egypt. His job will be to see that enough food is saved up during the seven good years to feed your people during the seven years of famine that will come after."

"Where can I find such a wise and spirit-filled man?" Pharaoh asked.

Hmmm.

Everyone looked at Joseph.

LA-girl

joseph-rules-title2.jpg

scholars.gif

pharaoh-clapped.gif

...clapped his hand on Joseph's shoulder, “Where in all of Egypt could I find a wiser man than you!

“Surely the Spirit of God is with you!” Pharaoh said, “I will put you in charge over my house and all the land of Egypt.

“Whatever you command, it will be done!”

Wouldn’t that be fun! Whatever you asked for, someone would do. That’s why only a very WISE person should have that kind of power. Otherwise you might be commanding things like, “Bring me three dancing bears!” or “Fill my pool with butterscotch pudding!” and goofy stuff like that.

But Joseph WAS very wise. He listened to God, and only did what pleased him.

And so Pharaoh took the ring from his finger and put it on Joseph’s hand. It was the ring engraved with the royal seal, the ring of authority and power. Pharaoh said, “I set you to rule over all the land. From now on, in all of Egypt only I will be greater than you!”

And then he had Joseph dressed in the finest royal robes, and he put a gold chain around his neck.

And to think, just the day before Joseph was wearing a whole different kind of chain, sitting in the dust and dirt of a dark prison floor.
How quickly things can change when God is at work!

When things are bad, and it seems like nothing but troubles, you just never know what surprises God has waiting.

“I am Pharaoh, ruler of all of Egypt,” Pharaoh said to Joseph, “and this day I declare that no one shall as much as lift a finger unless you say it is okay.”

Pharaoh gave Joseph the chariot of his second in command, and wherever Joseph went, an honor guard went on before him, calling out, “All Hail! All Hail!”

chariots.gif

And so Pharaoh made it known throughout all of Egypt that Joseph was in charge.

Then Pharaoh gave Joseph a new name.

People are all the time getting new names in the Bible. That’s because names are important. Your name says who you belong to. There is a BIG difference between calling someone by their name, and saying, “Hey, Dumbhead!“

And you only GIVE a name to someone who is very close and dear to you.

So Pharaoh gave Joseph a new Egyptian name, Zaphenathpaneah, 8O which of course is much too long to keep having to say over and over in this story, so we’ll just keep calling him Joseph. But in the eyes of Pharaoh and all of Egypt, Joseph had been accepted as one of their own.

Joseph was just 30 years old when he was made a Prince of Egypt.

After all that Joseph had been through, all the ups and downs, all the troubles, look where God had put him!

Pharaoh also chose a wife for Joseph, Asenath, the daughter of Potiphera, priest of On. And God blessed Joseph with two sons. The first Joseph named Manasseh, which means “You will forget” because Joseph said, “God has helped me forget all the troubles I have had.”

movie_72.jpg

His second son Joseph named Ephraim, which means “Be fruitful,” “For God has made me fruitful in the land that once brought me trouble.”

joe-and-then.gif

...for the next seven years the rains came, just as God said they would.

rain13.jpg

The crops of Egypt grew and grew, and when each harvest came, Joseph did just as God told him to. He went all around Egypt gathering up the overflowing food. In each city he gathered up the food from the fields around it and stored it up in barns for the years of famine that were coming.

What a valuable lesson to learn! :D

You can be as wise as Joseph. For most people, there will be good times - and there will be hard times too. When times are good, and God blesses you with more than you need, don’t go crazy and use it all up as fast as you can.

Instead, save some of it. Set it aside, and then you will be ready when hard times come.

That’s just what Joseph did. God blessed the land so richly, that soon there were mountains of grain. It was like the sand of the sea. There was so much, that Joseph finally gave up even trying to measure it all.

grain.jpg

It was truly beyond measure. :D

And then one day the rains stopped. :?

LA-girl

the-trouble-with-3.jpg

lies-meanwhile.gif

...back in the land of Canaan things were going a little differently for Joseph’s brothers.

More than ten years have gone by since they sold Joseph to those traveling traders. Joseph was just a teenager then. Remember back then, when Joseph’s brothers threw Joseph into that well?

Well, first they had planned on killing him.

But Reuben, Joseph’s oldest brother, knew that would be a terrible thing to do.

“Let’s just throw him into this well instead,” he said.

Secretly he planned to come back and pull Joseph out, and then bring him safely back home to his father. Reuben knew how much his father loved Joseph, and he knew deep inside it would break his father’s heart if anything ever happened to him.

But while Reuben was away, his brothers saw their chance to get rid of Joseph AND make some money on the deal, so they pulled Joseph from the well and sold him to those traveling Ishmaelites.

When Reuben came back to the well later that evening, he fell to his knees in the sand. “Joseph is gone!” he cried. He pounded the ground and tore at his clothes, it hurt so bad inside. “What am I going to do now?” he wailed.

Finally, he picked himself up and went to find his brothers. “The boy is not there!” he cried to them.

“No, duh!” his brothers said, and they told Reuben what they had done.

“What are we going to tell Father?!” Reuben said.

And then his brothers cooked up a terrible plan to cover up what they had done.

They took one of their goats and killed it. Then they took Joseph’s fancy coat, the one his father had given him, the one they were so jealous of, and they dipped that coat in the goat’s blood and brought it back to their father.

Web%20Mountain%20goat%20looking%20at%20camera-Vert.jpg

“We found this while we were out tending the sheep,” they lied, “Do you know who it belongs to?” like they didn’t know whose it was. This was such a clever plan, they thought to themselves. Their father will think Joseph is dead, no one will ever know what they had done, and that will be the end of it.

Of course their father Jacob recognized the coat immediately.

“It is Joseph’s coat!” he cried, and his face went white. He began to cry so hard he tore at his clothes. “My son is dead! He has been torn to pieces by a wild animal!” He cried and cried, as if he would never stop.

“How can I ever be the same? My heart will be broken the rest of my days.”

h_broken_heart.jpg

I am sure his sons hadn’t planned on that.

They tried to comfort their father, but nothing they could say could make him feel any better.

Of course, they could have told him the truth. Joseph was not dead at all, but his brothers were all caught up in their lie now.

That’s the way with lies. They never do any good. They only lead to trouble and more trouble. They hurt people in ways you never think of, and then you get caught up in them, and one lie leads to another, and it only gets worse and worse.

And you may even think you are getting away with them for a while, maybe even more than ten years, like Joseph’s brothers did. But God knows the truth, and he has a way of working things around, and one day you will get found out.

Joseph’s brothers were about to learn that.

LA-girl

the-great-famine.jpg

no-more-rain.jpg

For seven years, the rains had come. The crops grew green and strong, and there was more than enough to eat for everyone.

But then one day, the rains stopped.

Of course, no one noticed the day the rains stopped. That’s not something you notice. At first all those sunny days are great. But then after a while, the grass starts to turn a little brown, and the crops in the fields begin to shrivel a little. And then later on, the grass turns really brown, and the crops begin to wilt away.

And that’s how it was in the land of Egypt. The rains did not come, and the crops began to dry up and die.

Everywhere the land was thirsty for water. And there was none.

desert2.jpg

Now, you have to remember that this was a long time ago, and things were quite a bit different than they are now.

For one thing, when the sun went down at night, it got dark! There weren’t lights on everywhere like there are now because electricity wasn’t going to be invented for thousands of years. You couldn’t go to your tent and flip a switch to turn on a light, or sit down at your computer, or watch TV.

It was dark. Everywhere. With only the light from the moon and the stars.

If you needed more light, you had to light a candle or an oil lamp, or build a fire in the fire pit.

And when you ran out of bread, you had to make more yourself. You couldn’t just hop on your camel and run up to the grocery store, where you’d find shelf after shelf jammed with all kinds of bread in fancy plastic packages.

ftp-elmershopping.JPG

No, you had to get out the flour and yeast and water, and light the fire in the oven and bake your own bread.

And if you ran out of flour, you had to go to the storehouse and get some more wheat and grind it up into flour.

And if you ran out of wheat in your storehouse, well, then what would you do?

If you ran out of wheat, that was it. You were in trouble.

There was no grocery store you could always run to and get more. You had to wait until the next harvest, when the wheat had grown up again.

These days it’s easy for us to think that everything comes from the grocery store. The shelves are always full. Whenever we run out of anything, there is always plenty more. It’s easy to think, Who needs God? We can just go to the store and get anything we need!

But that’s not how it really is.

Everything really comes from God.

If the rain didn’t fall, and the crops didn’t grow, the shelves in the store would be empty. And there would be nothing anybody could do.

Only God can make the rain fall and the crops grow.

But God is so good and so powerful and so loving, he takes care of us every day. He sends the rain that waters the earth. He makes the wheat for bread grow; and corn, and bananas, and oranges and carrots. He even makes fun stuff grow, like cocoa beans and vanilla so we can have hot chocolate and banana splits.

banana_split.jpg

We should thank God every day, He blesses us with so much!

But what if he didn’t? What if one day the rains stopped falling? And the crops in the fields DIDN’T grow, then what would we do?

We would have nothing to eat at all.

And that’s just what began to happen in the land of Egypt.

LA-girl

the-great-famine.jpg

the-famine-was-hard.gif

in-the-lands.jpg

...children looked to their parents with empty stomachs and asked, “Mommy, what is there to eat?” and there was nothing but stale old crumbs.

It all happened just as Joseph said it would.

But there was food in Egypt, they had so much left over from the seven good years. But then even the cupboards in Egypt began to run bare.

And so the people cried out to Pharaoh for food.

And thanks to Joseph, and God’s plan, Pharaoh had an answer.

“Go to Joseph, and do everything he says!”

So Joseph opened his storehouses. He sold grain to anyone who came to him, and there was enough for all.

The word quickly spread that there was food in Egypt, and soon hungry people from lands far and near were coming to Egypt to buy grain from Joseph.

The word even spread to the land of Canaan, to the home of Jacob and his family.

“There’s nothing to eat!”

Simeon, one of Joseph’s brothers, said one day, looking into an empty cupboard with a pain in his stomach.

“Why are you looking at me?” his father Jacob said to him, “Can I make any food appear? But I have heard that there is grain in Egypt. Why are you brothers just standing around looking at each other like a bunch of dummies? Go there and buy us some food before we starve to death!”

gn42_02.jpg

And so the ten brothers of Joseph threw their empty packs over their donkeys' backs and went down to the land of Egypt to buy grain. But Jacob wouldn’t let their youngest brother Benjamin go. He had already lost one young son (or so he thought), his heart couldn't take the pain of losing another.

When the ten brothers arrived in Egypt, they asked “Where do we go to buy grain?”

“You must go to the Governor,” they were told.

And so they appeared before the throne of the mighty Governor of Egypt, and bowed their faces to the ground before him.

Of course, the mighty Governor of Egypt was really their little brother Joseph. But they could hardly have recognized him. The last time they saw him, he was just a twerpy little kid. Or that’s how he seemed to them anyway. Now they bowed before a fearsome and powerful man, the second most powerful man in all the world.

My, how things can change!

Besides, this man spoke the language of the Egyptians, and they had to have one of his slaves tell them what he was saying.

But Joseph recognized his brothers the moment he saw them.

And when he saw them bowed before him, all at once he remembered the dreams he had all those years ago. He remembered how he dreamed of gathering wheat, and how his bundle of wheat stood up, and the bundles of wheat of his brothers bowed down to his.

gn42_06.jpg

He remembered how he dreamed even the sun, the moon and the stars bowed before him.

And now it was all coming true. Here his brothers were, bowing before him just like he dreamed!

And then he remembered how much his brothers had teased him when he told them about his dreams. He remembered how his brothers laughed at him.

Look who was laughing now!

But Joseph wasn’t laughing. Instead he rose up from his throne and glared down at the ten brothers bowing before him.

“Where do you come from?” he demanded, pretending not to know them at all.

“Please, Sir, we are but ten brothers from the land of Canaan. We have come to buy food,” they answered, their knees trembling beneath them.

“YOU ARE SPIES!” Joseph roared.

“No! No, my lord!” they pleaded, “We are your humble servants. We were twelve brothers from the land of Canaan. Our youngest brother is home with his father, and another is dead.”

“I don’t believe you! Bring me your youngest brother, and then I will know you speak the truth!” And then, to show them just how mighty and powerful he was, Joseph had his brothers taken off to prison (just they way he had been carried off to prison all those years ago).

gn42_14-15.jpg

After three days, he came back to them. “I am a man who fears God and so I always try to do what is right. I will spare your lives under one condition. If you are honest men, let one of you stay behind. The rest of you take the grain I will sell you back to your starving families. But bring me back your youngest brother so I may know that you are not lying. Otherwise, you will die.”

And so the ten brothers whispered one to another, “Surely now God is punishing us for the evil thing we did when we did away with our brother Joseph. He begged for his life, and we did not listen. Now we know what it is like. The same thing is happening to us!”

Now the sandal was on the other foot!

“I told you so!” Reuben said. “I told you not to hurt the boy. At last the time has come to pay for the evil thing we did.”

That’s how it is. You might think you are getting away with the bad things you do - even just the little ones - but they always come back to you sometime.

The time always comes when a price has to paid for all the wrong things we do, one way or another.

Now, the ten brothers were speaking to each other in their own language. They didn’t know that Joseph understood every word they said. And everything they said brought back a flood of memories, how he missed his family, how much he loved his brothers, even though they treated him so badly. And so he had to leave the room.

And when he was out of sight of his brothers, this mighty man broke down and cried.

When he was finally able to get himself together again, he went back to his brothers. He chose Simeon to stay behind, and he had him bound up in chains for them all to see.

Then he ordered his servants to fill his brothers' packs with all the grain they needed, and to give them food for the long journey home.

And then he ordered his servants to put his brothers’ money back in their packs. And so with their donkeys loaded down with grain, the brothers set off for home again.

gn42_03.jpg

That evening they stopped to make camp. They built a campfire and were settling in for the night when Levi opened one of his sacks of grain to feed his donkey.

There he found a big surprise.

“Brothers!” he cried out, “Here is my money! I swear I didn't know it was there - but the Governor of Egypt will say that I stole it. Now we will all surely die!”

Yep. They were in big trouble now.

LA-girl

Uh-oh-hidden.gif

Uh-oh-title.gif

Uh-oh-brother.jpg

Uh-oh-what-is.gif

what-has-god-done-to-us.gif

The Sons of Jacob couldn't help but wonder - and with good reason! After all this time, they couldn't forget what they had done to their little brother all those years ago.

Before they even stopped to unload all the food they had brought home from their hot, dusty journey to Egypt, they ran in to tell their father Jacob all that had happened.

"The Governor of Egypt spoke harshly to us, and accused us of being spies!" they told him, " And now Simeon is in prison until we bring back our brother Benjamin to prove we were not lying!"

Nope. Their trip didn’t go very well.

But at least they came back with food. So they went back to their donkeys and opened their packs -

- and each one of them found a sack of silver sitting on top!

“Oh, no!” they all cried. “What will become of us now! It was bad enough when we found just ONE of our sacks of silver. Now we have ALL our money back! The Governor of Egypt will accuse us of being spies AND thieves! He will come and put us to death for sure!

"We have to go back with Benjamin right away and prove to him we are honest men!” (Which, of course, they weren’t exactly!)

"What will happen next!" their father Jacob cried. "Joseph is dead, Simeon is gone, and now you want to take Benjamin away from me?!"

gn42_24.jpg

Rueben said to his father, "I promise over the lives of my two children that if you send Benjamin back with us, I will bring both Simeon and Benjamin back to you."

But Jacob said, "No, I can't let you take Benjamin from me! If anything were to happen to him, I would die!"

gn42_36.jpg

And no matter how hard they tried, they couldn't convince Jacob to part with his youngest son.

And so time went by. The famine got worse and worse, and finally they had eaten all the grain they had bought from Egypt. And they were hungry again.

Finally Jacob said, "You must go back to Egypt and buy us more food."

"But Father!" Judah said, "We can't go unless we bring Benjamin with us! If we don't, when the Governor sees us, he will throw us into prison - or worse!"

"Why did you even tell the Governor that you had a little brother?" Jacob moaned.

"Father, if we don't go, we will ALL starve to death. Send Benjamin with me, and I promise I will bring him back. If we had gone sooner, we could have been there and back two times by now!"

Jacob sighed. There was nothing else he could do. "All right. But do this. We still have some spices, some nuts, and some oils left. Bring them as gifts for this Prince of Egypt. And bring him back twice the amount of silver. Maybe it was just a mistake that your silver was put back into your packs.

"Take your brother and go, but my heart will be breaking."

gn43_01p13-14.jpg

And so the Brothers Israel packed up their things and hurried back down to Egypt.

When they arrived, they took a deep breath, and entered the magnificent court of the Governor.

When Joseph saw his little brother Benjamin with them, he said to his Chief Steward, "Take these men to my house and prepare a meal. They will be having lunch with me today."

gn43_16.jpg

And so the brothers were escorted to the Governor's house. They were scared to death! "This is a trap!" they whispered to each other, "He thinks we stole his silver! His soldiers are going to jump on us and make us his slaves forever!"

When they got to the door of Joseph's house, they grabbed the Chief Steward by the arm and said, "Please sir! We didn't take your master's silver! We found it still in our packs! Honest! And look, we have brought it all back - and more! We don't know who put our money back!"

"Do not be afraid," the Chief Steward said, "Your God, the God of your father Jacob, put treasure in your sacks. Don't worry, I got your money!" And then he brought their brother Simeon out to them.

Then the Chief Steward took them inside, gave them water to wash up with, and food for their donkeys. After they washed up, the brothers laid out the gifts they had brought...

...and then they waited.

The Governor was going to arrive at noon.

"What in the world is going on?" they wondered. What was going to happen next?

What was God up to?

Sometimes we just have to wait and see....

LA-girl

joseph-silver-cup.jpg

joseph-wasn't-through-2.jpg

....with his brothers yet. He needed to test them still.

Were they still the same mean brothers who sold their little brother just to make a few bucks? Or had they changed?

Did they still only care about themselves and what they wanted?

That's what Joseph needed to find out.

And so his brothers were waiting for the Governor of all of Egypt to come home. They had their gifts laid out. The palms of their hands were sweaty. What was going to happen next?

When Joseph walked into the room, his brothers bowed low to the floor - just like Joseph's dreams again, the ones his brothers had laughed at!

But then Joseph surprised them. He was nice to them! (His brothers still didn’t know who he really was.) He asked them how they all were, and then he asked, “And how is your father? Is he still alive?”

“Your servant our father is very much alive and well,” the brothers answered - and they bowed low to the ground again.

And then Joseph saw his brother Benjamin. Remember, Benjamin was Joseph's little brother, and he had missed his baby brother very much (even though he wasn't a baby anymore!).

“Is this your brother Benjamin?” Joseph asked, still pretending he didn't know them.

gn43_26-29.jpg

“May God bless you!” Joseph said to his little brother, and then tears began to fill his eyes. He had to run from the room before his brothers could see him cry.

gn43_30b.jpg

When the tears finally stopped, Joseph washed his face and went back to his brothers.

“Let’s eat!” he said. He clapped his hands, and immediately his servants began to bring in great platters of food.

Now, Egyptians thought they were better than everyone, and they would never even think of sitting down to eat with Hebrews. Why are people always thinking they are better than other people? God loves each of us just the same - and more than we could ever know!

So the Egyptians in Joseph’s household ate at one table, while the eleven brothers ate at another. Joseph ate at a table all by himself.

But then, to his brothers' complete surprise, Joseph got up... and served them himself! The Governor of all of Egypt was serving THEM - and all the best stuff from his own table!

Well, it's just like the God of the universe gives us the best stuff from HIS table every day! It is an amazing thing!

The brothers were seated by their age, the oldest to the youngest - and as Joseph served them, they couldn’t believe what was happening. They hardly even noticed that Joseph gave his brother Benjamin five times as much as anyone else.

You can be sure, if they were at home and any one of them got as much as one BITE more than the other, there would be trouble. You know how that goes! But the brothers were so amazed at their good fortune, and having such a wonderful time at this great feast, they didn't even notice.

How strange. Here they thought they were going to be in big trouble, and instead, they were invited to a feast!

I wonder if that’s how it is with us. Sometimes we are sure God must be mad at us (and sometimes for good reason!), but He loves us so much, and is so forgiving, He really is preparing a great feast for us instead.

When they had finished, Joseph gave these instructions to his steward, “Fill the men’s packs with as much food as they can carry - and then put each man’s silver back in his pack.

“And then, put my silver cup in the mouth of the youngest one’s pack, along with his silver and his grain.”

The next morning, just as the golden light of a new day was beginning to fill the sky, the brothers loaded their packs on their donkeys and started for home.

Joseph waited a bit, and then he said to his steward, “Go after them! Say to them, ‘Why have you repaid good with evil? My Master’s silver cup is missing!’“

“What are you talking about?” the brothers said when Joseph’s steward had caught up with them.

“Why would we steal your Master’s cup? We even brought back the silver we found in our packs the last time! If you find the cup with any one of us, let the one who has it die, and the rest of us will become your slaves!”

Oops! Remember, they had promised their father that nothing would happen to their brother Benjamin - and the cup was in his pack!

The Steward said, “Very well. But if I find my Master’s cup, the rest of you can go free, only the one who has it will become my slave. ”

They each lowered their packs to the ground, and the steward began searching them. He started with the oldest and went one by one, oldest to youngest, until he came to Benjamin.

Benjamin opened his pack - and there was Joseph's silver cup!

Empire_Silver_Cup.jpg

They couldn't believe their eyes. “How can this be!” the brothers cried. And then, they tore their clothes and fell to the ground, “What will we do now?!”

There was only one thing they could do. They had to go back and plead for Benjamin’s life.

Joseph was still at his home when Judah and his brothers rushed in and threw themselves to the ground at Joseph’s feet.

“What have you done!” Joseph said, “Did you really think you could get away with anything?!”

“What can we say!” Judah pleaded, “Your God knows everything, and it is impossible to get away with anything with Him. We had your cup, and now we will all be your slaves!”

But Joseph said, “No, only one of you is guilty. He will be my slave, the rest of you may go home to your father.”

But Judah begged him, “Please sir! I am only a humble servant, and you are as great as Pharaoh himself, but may I say something?

“We brought back our brother Benjamin just like you asked us to. But our father is old. He loved his wife Rachel dearly, and she gave him two sons in his old age. One is dead, and now you wish to take the other. Please sir, my father loves Benjamin so much, it will break his heart if he loses him too.”

And then Judah admitted everything that had had happened, how it nearly broke his father’s heart when he believed that his son Joseph had been killed by wild animals. “Let me stay and become your slave,” Judah said, “I couldn’t bear to tell my father that Benjamin was gone too.”

Once his brothers sold their brother Joseph into slavery - but now they were willing to become slaves themselves to keep their brother Benjamin safe. Before, they were willing to let their father think Joseph was dead, and now they would do anything to keep from hurting him again.

They really had changed. They really did care.

Finally Joseph couldn’t keep it in anymore. Tears began to fill his eyes, “Please,” he said to his servants, “Everyone go. Leave me alone with these men.”

When his servants had left, and Joseph was alone with his brothers, he broke down and cried so hard and so loud that everyone in his house could hear.

“I am your brother Joseph!” he said through his tears. “Please, you must tell me, how is father?”

gn45_01p04.jpg

But his brothers were terrified. They could not say a word.

gn45_04-05.jpg

Joseph opened his arms and said, “I am your brother, the one you sold into Egypt! Don’t be afraid!”

And then he told them, “There are still five years of famine to come. For another five years the earth will be dry as bones, and no food will grow. But God told me everything that was going to happen, and I have stored up grain for us all.

“Don’t you see? You didn’t send me here, God did! It was all God’s plan from the very beginning. God sent me on ahead to save his people!

“What you meant for evil, God meant for good!”

With tears of joy in his eyes, Joseph threw his arms around his brother Benjamin, and then his older brothers too. He forgave them for everything they had done.

gn45_15.jpg

Through all the years, and all his troubles, God was really at work, doing an amazing, wonderful thing! Even though what Joseph’s brothers did WAS a terrible thing, God’s love and forgiveness is so great that he took a terrible thing and turned into a great blessing!

heart-break-3.jpg

Many, many years later, there will be another cup, in another story. This time, it will be the cup Jesus drinks from at the Last Supper. And just like God sent Joseph, God will send Jesus on ahead to save his people - you and me!

Just like Joseph's brothers turned against him, Jesus's own people will turn against Jesus too. They will put him to death on a cross. But God will turn that terrible, terrible day into the best thing to ever happen in the history of the world.

Three days later God will raise Jesus from the dead!

Jesus will rise from the dead, and everyone who believes in him will live with Him forever!

It is all part of God's amazing, wonderful plan to save His people - you and me!

THE END!!

LA-girl

From Joseph to Daniel! :)

While the story of Joseph is one of my favourite stories in the Bible, I find the Dream of King Nebuchadnezzar to be one of the most exciting prophecies. I just heard it recently and wanted to share it with those who are interested. This will only cover the first of four prophecies in the book of Daniel. I will post the dream in 3 sections.

Nebuchadnezzar2-PL.jpg

THE MILLENIAL MAN

In this dream of the multi-mineral image, God outlined for all future millenniums the rise and fall of the empires that would have a direct influence on His people.

Nebuchadnezzars_Dream_by_joseph_art.jpg

Daniel 2:1, "And in the second year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar dreamed dreams, wherewith his spirit was troubled, and his sleep brake from him."

First of all, let's grasp the context of the time and place we are looking into...

In the year 604B.C., in the city of Babylon, and over the entire Babylonian Empire reigned a king who was named, Nebuchadnezzar. This king had just finished spreading his empire to new regions because of many conquests, including Jerusalem, where he captured many of the Jews. Among these captured Jews was the young prophet Daniel. In the world at this time in history, the power of this king Nebuchadnezzar was without a doubt totally undisputed. He was king of the world to put it bluntly.

One night, the king had a very upsetting dream. When he awoke he was unable to remember the content of that dream. However, it still remained in his heart that it was a very upsetting thing he had dreamed. So he desired gretly to know what it was.

dan2-dreaming.jpg

Daniel 2:2, "Then the king commanded to call the magicians, and the astrologers, and the sorcerers, and the Chaldeans, for to shew the king his dreams. So they came and stood before the king."

Nebuchadnezzar, like many kings of old, was accustomed to consulting astrologers and magicians, especially for the interpretation of dreams. However, this time, his demand was extremely unusual because of the fact that he was asking more than the simple interpretation of the dream: the king wanted to know everything about the dream including all that he saw in it even though he totally forgot the dream and its contents. Of course this troubled the magicians and astrologers greatly because they felt that it was completly impossible to tell the king what he had dreamed as well as the intrpretation of it without knowing at least the dream itself.

Daniel 2:4, "Then spake the Chaldeans to the king in Syriack, O king, live for ever: tell thy servants the dream, and we will shew the interpretation."

No different than today with all the psychics and magicians, the magicians and astrologers of Daniel's day were also fakes. These magicians and astrologers were in it for the money. Problem was however, what the king was asking this time was totally different. He not only wanted the understanding of the dream. He wanted to know WHAT he dreamed as well! With that request, the king literally discovered he had employed nothing but a pack of liars and fakes as magicians and astrologers.

Daniel 2:9, "But if ye will not make known unto me the dream, there is but one decree for you: for ye have prepared lying and corrupt words to speak before me, till the time be changed: therefore tell me the dream, and I shall know that ye can shew me the interpretation thereof."

As we can see, the king’s suspicions are confirmed when they could not comply with his request. Seeing how the magicians and astrologers could not guess his dream, he looked upon that as proof that they were nothing but fakes without any power whatsoever! Being caught red handed, they tried to pull the onus off of themselves by trying to tell the king that his demand was unreasonable, but it only made him even the more angered. So angry in fact that he decided they should breath their last for lying to him for all those years.

Daniel 2:12, "For this cause the king was angry and very furious, and commanded to destroy all the wise men of Babylon."

dan2-fakes.jpg

Problem with this decree is, Daniel was also considered one of the wise men because of his graphic faith in the one True God. A God that did know secrets and was no faker by any means. So this death decree fell upon his head as well. So Daniel quickly appeared before the king begging mercy so as to have time to do as he requested regarding the dream. Daniel wanted to ask God to reveal to him the kings dream. And seeing how the king knew of Daniel and his honest ways, he accepted his offer....

LA-girl

Chapter 2: Secret Revealed

Daniel 2:19, "Then was the secret revealed unto Daniel in a night vision. Then Daniel blessed the God of heaven."

Daniel was blessed with the exact same dream the king had that night while sleeping.The Almighty Creator that knows secrets as well as all dreams of mankind as well as any thought of the hearts was merciful and blessed the faith of this prophet. So the very next day he rushed to the king to let him know what he knew.

dan2-daniel.jpg

Daniel 2:27-30, "Daniel answered in the presence of the king, and said, The secret which the king hath demanded cannot the wise men, the astrologers, the magicians, the soothsayers, shew unto the king; But there is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets, and maketh known to the king Nebuchadnezzar what shall be in the latter days. Thy dream, and the visions of thy head upon thy bed, are these; As for thee, O king, thy thoughts came into thy mind upon thy bed, what should come to pass hereafter: and he that revealeth secrets maketh known to thee what shall come to pass. But as for me, this secret is not revealed to me for any wisdom that I have more than any living, but for their sakes that shall make known the interpretation to the king, and that thou mightest know the thoughts of thy heart."

The Lord blessed Daniel in a mighty way that day. And as the true prophet of God always does, Daniel did not seek glory for himself. He made sure it was known the secrets were revealed by the Creator God Himself so as to bless the king with knowledge of those things that troubled his heart as well as glorify the Lord.

Daniel 2:31-35, "Thou, O king, sawest, and behold a great
image. This great image, whose brightness was excellent,
stood before thee; and the form thereof was terrible. This
image's head was of fine gold, his breast and his arms of
silver, his belly and his thighs of brass, His legs of iron, his
feet part of iron and part of clay. Thou sawest till that a stone
was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his
feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces.
Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the
gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of
the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away,
that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the
image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth."

dan2dreamtold.jpg

The first thing the king saw was a great image made of the following mineral elements:

1. Head of Gold
2. The chest and arms of silver
3. The belly and thighs of bronze
4. The legs of iron
5. The feet a mixture of iron and clay
6. The stone breaking the statue, then becoming a mountain

Daniel had related the dream precisely as God had given it to him. Now the king eagerly waited, wondering what the dream meant....

LA-girl

Chapter 3: The Interpretation

!It is important to note that the prophecy was concerned with the empires that conquered or ruled over Israel (His chosen people).

Daniel 2:36-38, "This is the dream; and we will tell the interpretation thereof before the king. Thou, O king, art a king of kings: for the God of heaven hath given thee a kingdom, power, and strength, and glory. And wheresoever the children of men dwell, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the heaven hath he given into thine hand, and hath made thee ruler over them all. Thou art this head of gold."

As we can see, each part of this statue the king saw in his dream represents an actual kingdom.

dan2-head.jpg

The first one, the head of gold, is in fact his kingdom of Babylon.The king was regarded as the head of the state. This is why Nebuchadnezzar represented Babylon, the empire that began the prophecy. Neo-Babylon ruled the world from 612-539 B.C. as one of the mightiest empires of antiquity--one that could aptly be described as the head of gold. Notice that the prophecy begins with Daniel's time.

Daniel 2:39, "And after thee shall arise another kingdom inferior to thee

dan2-chest.jpg

Historic fact is, after a reign of 67 years, the Babylonian Empire was overthrown by the kingdom of the Medes and the Persians. The Medo-Persian monarchy lasted 208 years, from 539 B.C. to 331 B.C. The prophet Daniel actually witnessed the overthrow of Babylon in his lifetime. Represented by the chest and arms of silver, the Medo-Persian kingdom was indeed not as rich and beautiful as Babylon, howevere, its army was much more powerful as historic fact confirms.

By the way… Notice how, as the metals decrease in value on the statue, they actually increase in physical strength as well from this point foward

Daniel 2:39 “…and another third kingdom of brass, which shall bear rule over all the earth."

dan2-belly.jpg

Historic record confirms that in 331 B.C. the Greek armies destroyed the last Persian king during the famous Battle of Arbela. The Greeks saw victory by the powerful and young king Alexander the Great. The Greek Empire was then established. It’s rule actually covered far more territories than the two previous kingdoms. The reign of the Greek Empire of Alexander lasted 163 years, from 331 B.C. to 168 B.C.

Daniel 2:40, "And the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: forasmuch as iron breaketh in pieces and subdueth all things: and as iron that breaketh all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise."

dan2-legs.jpg

In 168 B.C., it was the Roman Empire’s turn to enact its supreme rule upon the region. Prophetically speaking, iron perfectly symbolizes this kingdom: its military strength and discipline, its domination over many conquered nations, its laws imposed on all people far and wide. Every aspect of this nation was like the strength and endurance of iron. This kingdom reigned until A.D.476. In fact the fall of this kingdom is VERY important to Bible Prophecy. It sets up what we see today in fact.

Daniel 2:41, "And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters' clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, forasmuch as thou sawest the iron mixed with miry clay."

dan2-toes.jpg

Did you notice? The dream that Daniel interpreted did not foretell a fifth global / universal kingdom to follow after the fourth, but rather the division of the fourth kingdom was prophecied instead.

The kingdom of Rome weakened and was attacked by barbarian nations that finally resulted in the defeat of Rome. Each nation took a “piece” of what was left of the Roman Empire in fact. Just like the toes of the statue, these nations were ten in number. Seven of them originated European nations, but the other three disappeared completely thanks to the "little horn" of Daniel 7:8. Prophecy does in fact declare “how” they disappeared as well. But that as well as the little horn itself is an entirely new Bible study

1. The Saxons, originating the English nation.
2. The Franks, originating the French nation.
3. The Alamanni, originating the German nation.
4. The Visigoths, originating the Spanish nation.
5. The Suevi, originating the Portuguese nation.
6. The Lombards, originating the Italian nation.
7. The Burgundians, originating the Swiss nation.
8. The Heruli, who have since disappeared.
9. The Vandals, who have since disappeared.
10. The Ostrogoths, who have since disappeared.

(You may be wondering about the "ten nations" of Europe. As of 2004, the European Union consists of about 25 nations. These include nations that are not a part of the original Roman empire. )

Daniel 2:43, "And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay."

The dream Daniel interpreted foretold that in spite of the efforts of these Euopean nations that sprung up from the fall of Rome, they would not succeed in unifying to form a fifth global empire. Although many have tried, it will not come to be! Charlemagne, Charles the Fifth, Louis XIV, Napoleon, William II, Hitler, all have tried in turn to place Europe under the authority of only one ruler, but each one saw his dream fail in a major way.

dan2-timeidol.jpg

Daniel 2:44, "And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever."

Daniel 2:45, "Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure."

dan2-rock.jpg

The stone that was cut without human hands represents God's kingdom. It will not be a conglomeration of earthly kingdoms, but a total replacement (Revelation 21:1). The Scriptures declare that when Jesus Christ returns to earth, He will completely consume all the kingdoms of earth and establish an everlasting kingdom (Daniel 2:44). What exciting news! Jesus Christ is coming again! All history is moving toward this climactic conclusion, when the Son of God shall return in majesty to bring in the kingdom of everlasting righteousness.

Daniel makes all doubt to disappear in the king’s mind that this dream is a definite fact. And for those of us that live today, we can see that Daniel was given 100% accurate understanding of this dream. For it has indeed come to be with uncanny 100% accuracy.

Absolutely every aspect of this prophecy has been proven to be true by simply reading a history book!

Sources:
http://www.remnantofgod.org/daniel2.htm
http://www.amazingfacts.org/items/storacle_lessons.asp