Picking

OCDavid

I have heard it is common for people with OCD to pick body parts. Just interested if others here have done it. I know someone who picks zits on their face. I only realized recently that I am a compulsive picker. I pick my nose and my head. I find it enjoyable, and feel a sense of achievement if I've picked at least nearly all that is there. It's just something I'm drawn towards. When I say picking my head I refer to the part with hair. There's often dead skin or something to pick.

On a similar note I often clean my watch with my fingers. I enjoy getting rid of grime on it, though it usually doesn't need to be cleaned. One time this week I decided that I wouldn't clean something off and immediately I felt anxiety. This proves it is part of my OCD.

thursdays_child

Are you referring to Dermatillomania/Compulsive Skin Picking? If so, yes, I've struggled with this too. I had it for 17 years, and it wasn't limited to any one body part.

Harleyq

My boyfriend picks his scalp as well...maybe even worse than you if all you're picking off is dead skin. He shaved all his hair off once and I told him to grow it back. He'd left pitted scars in his head from picking at it so it looked very moon-like with all the "craters"