Phone Problem

Helen145

I've always been afraid of talking on the phone..especially making the phone call..I'm 15 and there is a program at my school where you're given a younger person who you call up about twice a week and go through books with them to help them improve their reading..i really want to do it to help someone with their reading but i'm terrified..and it will only be a 10 year girl who i never even have to meet..but i'm terrified of talking to her and especially if a parent or sibling picks up the phone..Is anyone else like this?

Aramoor

hey Helen - I also have a bit of a problem with phones. I just dont like talking into a bit of plastic really. I'm not a big fan of mobs either - baisically its impossible to live without one these days, but it makes you accessible to the whole world *shudder*. Wish i ahd been born a caveman sometimes lol.

exuser01

Yea, I can relate Helen. Good thread.

What about taking messages? Sometimes they go too fast with their number and information but you dont want to ask them to slow down cause you're affraid that they will go insultingly slow.

Septor

Yea I have a problem talking on a phone but I have more of a problem when I have to make the phone call and I don't know the person i'm talking to.That always make me nervous. :(

Does anyone else have problem with answering machine.Even know I refuse to use them. :( :(

Derek

ya me too I hate talking on the phone. every time my phone rings I get this huge rush feeling in my chest and a lot of times if I dont know the number I dont answer it. and I agrea with septor on the answering machine thing, I haven't left a message on one of those for as long as I can remember even if its important and I realy should leave one, I just cant do it. I just feel like ill screw up and sound all stupid and stuff or forget my own phone number.

AntiSocial

Wow,I just posted a similiar thread on another board about not being able to make phone calls!...I just hate it,I get so nervous & feel so childish,I cant even call my own family!! :oops:

spikefan777

I have a much harder time talking to people whom I do know. It's easier to talk to someone over the phone who you know your never going to have to talk with, ever again.
I also have a hard time talking on the phone with other people around listening.

maggie

Helen145 said:
I've always been afraid of talking on the phone..especially making the phone call..I'm 15 and there is a program at my school where you're given a younger person who you call up about twice a week and go through books with them to help them improve their reading..i really want to do it to help someone with their reading but i'm terrified..and it will only be a 10 year girl who i never even have to meet..but i'm terrified of talking to her and especially if a parent or sibling picks up the phone..Is anyone else like this?
hiya Helen145...yeah, i hate the the phone, and i have to really psyche myself up to make the simplest of calls...today, i had to call my parent's house..and i was so freakin nervous...stupid, i know :oops:

Jack-B

Helen,

I was scared of using the phones for ages, would have out and out panic attacks at even the thought. I was suicidal and anxious all the time, i carried a knife with me when i was out because i was so scared of everything and everyone. So i decided to quit my job and face my fear by working on a call centre. Its tough at first but its not life or death. Funny enough after about a couple of days my fear erroded away. This gave me confidence to realise that i could overcome all my fear of anything.

What is anxiety? A state of mind that fools us into believing we should be afraid. What's the best way of overcoming anxiety? Seeing it for what it is then dis-believing it, it then drains of all its power. It's similar to the feeling of "oh that really wasnt so bad, what was i so worried about?".

Things to focus on before the call:

You are giving the younger person a wonderful gift by helping them, it will stay with them forever.
They are younger more vulnerable and probably more afraid than what you are.
You will probably really enjoy it.
No-one at all will know if you are nervous.
You are more than capable of doing this, easily.

Good luck

Jack

captain

The phone
One of the best and worst things in the world!
I also hate talking on the phone, but getting caller I.D. helped a lot (though obviously not with making callls. That still freaks me out). Then you have a few moments to prepare yourself before actually answering it.

goatscheese

yes i hate answereing the phone and usually just let it ring or le someone else answer, and if i have to make a phone call i get so annxious and have panic attacks :oops:

S

I hate making phonecalls, and it takes me a long time to be able to do so. My best advice for this is if you want to do it, go for it. And when it comes to making the phonecall, dont dwell on it and think about it for ages, because it's likely that that will make you more nervous and make you more likely to not be able to do it. If you just pick up the phone and dial the number, and go from there. I know that I always find myself thinking about what I'm going to say, trying to think of exactly how I want to phrase it, but when I pick up the phone, it all comes out different anyway, so I should just cut out that bit because it makes me worry more.
If you do this, you'd be helping another person, but also if you have to phone them every week, then it may make you more confident in being able to do this. You probably wont ever have to meet this person, and over the phone it's more difficult to tell if someone is nervous, because there's no body language or anything.

Best of luck with it if you decide to do this :)

Predacon

I don't have a big problem with answering the phone or making phone calls. As its easier then dealing with someone face to face. When I'm making a phone call to something I try to keep any important details written down so that I'm prepared for anything they ask.