Phenelzine (Nardil) for SA? Does it work?

tool1919

Hi all, was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this for SA. Have been reading a lot of stuff that consistently says this is the best. Haven't been able to find much on this site about people's experience with it. Have you tried it and how does it compare to other's? The only meds i've been taking are beta-blockers (propranolol) for my physical blushing symptoms but think i may want to try something else.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

villacjs

I also have had a blushing problem and am wondering how your propranolol (Inderal) is working for you? I have got some but I'm not sure 10mg dose is adequate, so how is it going for you?

In terms of Nardil I think you might find it hard to get prescribed it here in Australia given it has severe food and drug interactions that can be fatal, its a very powerful drug BUT it is the best. If you go to your local GP you'll probably get an SSRI eg Prozac, Zoloft etc. They may help your blushing.

Good luck!

tool1919

I do find the propranolol helps. I just take 20mg if i feel i'll need it for a particular situation and it lowers my heart rate and feel like i'm less anxious and can't feel myself blushing. The weird thing is no one has ever mentioned my blushing and i've never actually seen it so i don't even know how bad it is. It's just always in the back of my mind now and i worry it will happen which often triggers it. The worrying and avoiding certain situations is really starting to piss me off.

kyle

Banned
Nardil is by far the best antiepressant for Social Anxiety. It saved my life. I urge everyone to look into trying it. Hopefully you find a physician that will prescribe it for you.

Yea, nardil does work. But of coarse there are things that docs wont tell you.. Nardil, justlike most anti-depressants are starting to showsigns of short term relief, rather than long term. This is something that more and more docs are becoming aware of. Its called"poop-out". It will work for the recommended time period but will start to lose its effectivness over time, sometimes 2 motnhs, sometimes 2 yrs, maybe 5 in some cases. I took paxil for my last 2 yrs of high school and thought that it "saved my life" and found myself being completely relieved from SP and depression. Wheni started college, i started feeling it lose its effectivness.. Moving up in doses made me more anxious.. Anyways, i go to school for this now and have a very good understanding on brain chem. Nardil WILL work maybe 2 months maybe 5 yrs, but feeling the SP go away, and then having it ressurfaceis devistating. Trust me.. Anyways, i would try it, but dont expect it to be a lifelong cure because its deff proven tolose effectivness, just like all other Anti deppresants. Good luck

kyle

Banned
JustAnotherDay said:
Yea, nardil does work. But of coarse there are things that docs wont tell you.. Nardil, justlike most anti-depressants are starting to showsigns of short term relief, rather than long term. This is something that more and more docs are becoming aware of. Its called"poop-out". It will work for the recommended time period but will start to lose its effectivness over time, sometimes 2 motnhs, sometimes 2 yrs, maybe 5 in some cases. I took paxil for my last 2 yrs of high school and thought that it "saved my life" and found myself being completely relieved from SP and depression. Wheni started college, i started feeling it lose its effectivness.. Moving up in doses made me more anxious.. Anyways, i go to school for this now and have a very good understanding on brain chem. Nardil WILL work maybe 2 months maybe 5 yrs, but feeling the SP go away, and then having it ressurfaceis devistating. Trust me.. Anyways, i would try it, but dont expect it to be a lifelong cure because its deff proven tolose effectivness, just like all other Anti deppresants. Good luck

after a year and 1/2 I usually switch to Paxil for a couple of months, then get back on Nardil...