Permanent redness with blushing?

westminster

How many of the blushers on this forum have a degree of permanent redness even when not having a blushing episode?

I do, and I also tend to flush badly when I exercise or am exposed to heat. Sometimes alcohol can trigger it to. Am starting to think Rosacea or KPRF underlies the blushing. I have keratosis pilaris a bit on my arms anyway.

Anyone else think they also have KPRF etc? What's wrong with me?!

dooby-duck

I'm probably redder in the face all the time than the average person, and I do go really red when exercising or hot as well. I don't really blush as much as I used to, but don't really get into many of those situations any more.

Once I was cycling in the lake district, I must have cycled about seven or eight miles. This woman comes over to me asking if I was all right and if I felt sick or something. It took me a while to convince her I was fine. I've been paranoid about that ever since.

Emsworth

Sounds like you're pretty similar to me, reddish cheeks, neck and forehead. I've got that KP thing on my legs too though I only realised that was what it is this week.None of that bothers me nor does the flushing/blushing from heat,cold or alcohol, it's the emotionally triggered blushing that wrecks my head and my allowing of such a relatively minor thing to have this much impact on my life.
I'm afraid I'm not sure whether its Rosacea or KPRF I have on my face either though one doctor told me he didn't think I had rosacea. I'm going into another on tuesday to ask about the KPRF but I think half of them haven't a clue. I guess it's not that common.
I've been doing a lot of reading here, on the Rosacea board and on the KP forum lately so I'm gonna try out some different treatments - if anything works I'll post.
Good luck to you.

westminster

Sounds like you're pretty similar to me, reddish cheeks, neck and forehead. I've got that KP thing on my legs too though I only realised that was what it is this week.None of that bothers me nor does the flushing/blushing from heat,cold or alcohol, it's the emotionally triggered blushing that wrecks my head and my allowing of such a relatively minor thing to have this much impact on my life.
I'm afraid I'm not sure whether its Rosacea or KPRF I have on my face either though one doctor told me he didn't think I had rosacea. I'm going into another on tuesday to ask about the KPRF but I think half of them haven't a clue. I guess it's not that common.
I've been doing a lot of reading here, on the Rosacea board and on the KP forum lately so I'm gonna try out some different treatments - if anything works I'll post.
Good luck to you.

Your position sounds very similar to me. A doctor also once mentioned he didn't think I have Rosacea; I have some KP on my legs too; and it's the social blushing that makes my life less happy than it should be. (Not to mention your username is also a place in England!) Are we related?!

Has anything been effective for you for the social blushing so far? I achieve an 80% reduction from a blend of propranolol and valium/xanax but dislike having to rely on medicine.

CBT and self-confidence techniques haven't been effective. Neither was Clonidine for me, for some reason.

Clinique's Almost Make Up seems to reduce the redness, but being a guy I have to apply sparingly to ensure it's not noticeable.

My next step is to try a facial tanner. Being tanned should take the edge off and if I get slightly pink and hot from the feeling of being similarly pink and hot during a blushing episode won't be such an issue.

AimeeSP

I've noticed this in my face, its always slightly red and i get paranoid because compared to the rest of my very pale skin coloured body, it really stands out i think (although other people deny this but i just think they're being kind - this is without make up). In photos though i can hide it behind foundation so alot of people don't believe me when i say my face is slightly red, especially on my cheeks. But i have a skin condition apprantly related to KP called atrophoderma vermiculatum. ::(: So my cheeks really are slightly red, and i have large pores, and abit of like dented skin on my cheeks. ::(: Luckily though it's not as bad as some suffers of the skin condition i have, some people have really raw looking red cheeks.

Emsworth

Clonidine and xanax are about 20-30% effective for me. Not much but it allows me to get some things done. I used to fairly outgoing and force myself to ignore the blushing but after deliberately isolating myself (v. stupid) developed social phobia eventually (though I was always a bit skittish). I don't want to sound preachy or anything but I think the worst thing anyone can do is obsess over it, it messed me up for sure.
I've got a wishlist of drugs to try so I'm off to the doc Tuesday to start on anything he'll give me.
I wouldn't mind being a bit less white myslf. The distinct border between the bright red and bone white on my face is one of the most noticeable aspects of of the blushing for me.There's a drug for tanning that is being tested at the moment called Afamelanotide Afamelanotide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that looks very promising, but like sansrosa/col 118 it'll probably be a couple of years before we see it.
As for my username, well, do you know people at Blandings old boy? It 's a character name - Lord Emsworth- from one of my favourite humorists, P.G. Wodehouse. Old style but still great.

westminster

Well, Emsworth, you certainly appear to be on the ball regarding treatments. If you wouldn't mind reporting back after your appointment on Tuesday I'd be curious to hear what your doctor says. I forgot to mention that I also use the Rosacea III discs. They do seem to cool the skin nicely, even if their ability to prevent blushing is by no means 100%.

Agree with you regarding not obsessing over it all. It's a tricky one. I work in the City of London, in quite an assertive atmosphere, and blushing isn't helpful there! So most of my concern is professional, I suppose. When I blush in front of friends and family I don't care - which of course has lessened blushing with them!

Ah, I know PG Wodehouse well. Am more familiar with Bertie's bumbling attempts to untangle himself from being engaged to two ladies before Aunt Agatha arrives than I am the events at Blandings. I should increase my library. Talking of which, Tom Sharpe is another writer who can genuinely make me laugh out loud and continues the British humourist tradition. Always good distraction material when anxious!

Emsworth

I'll report back no problem. I'm willing to try anything at this stage so I'll see if I can wake the scientist in my doctor by allowing him to experiment on me.
I intend ordering those discs myself this week plus several hundred quids worth of other non prescription treatments. After all, nothing to lose.
I think I read a Wilt novel years ago but didn't recall it until I read your post. Hmmm, time to buy some books. Douglas Adams and (early at least) Terry Pratchett are my other comical favourites.
Anything besides makeup work for you AimeeSP?

Last edited:

Emsworth

So, the doc put me on mirtazapine, not at the top of the list but whatever. Unfortunately I was so busy discussing drugs I forgot all about the KPRF. Still, I think I'll start the seborrheic dermatitis/Keratosis pilaris treatments posted over on the rosacea forum:
Keratosis pilaris 99% gone - The Rosacea Forum
Seb derm - Treating seborrheic dermatitis with raw honey and virgin coconut oil. - The Rosacea Forum
It can't hurt and may even do some good.
I have had some success at handling my blushing/flushing in the last week or so but I believe thats mainly down to the fact I've been working out a couple of hours a day for the past two or three months. Feel fit/look better - feel better kinda thing.
I'll update if there is any improvement from these and other treatments.
Good luck.