People in dreams

Lowlight

I have been having an issue in relation to people in my dreams.

Currently, I have been without friends or acquaintances for 2 years now. I don’t necessarily see this as something bad, because I am finding that the more time I spend alone reflecting on things the happier I can become. The problem arises when I fall asleep.

I will lie down in bed and be content with my life. My eyes close. Suddenly I am dreaming of being in fantastic buildings of steel and glass. There are stairs and fountains and all other sorts of architectural designs. If I were alone in these structures and had time to stroll the grounds in astonishment I think I would be even more at peace with myself when I would awake the next morning. I am not alone, though. With me are people from my past.

It seems that my mind only has a few characters, drawn from real life, to play in my dreams. I see people from my high school that I didn’t affiliate with. I see teachers from my college who I liked, and teachers from my college who I didn’t like. More importantly I see people from all stages of my life that I cared for deeply.

I see a girl I had a crush on who I never talked to. I see the girl who shared in the failed relationship I’ve had. I see the guy that I had an unhealthy obsession over. They all speak to me. They question me on what I am doing with myself. Sometimes they cry. Sometimes they laugh. All the time, though, they are present. They haunt me (even as stupid and melodramatic as that sounds).

The last time I had a dream like this I was aware that I was dreaming. I was speaking to one of my friends, in the dream, when I felt the sensation that I was about to wake up. I turned to her and asked while somewhat demanding, “If I wake up, will you be here if I fall back asleep?” She said, "yes" and sure enough when I fell back asleep she was there.

This shouldn’t be a problem. They are just dreams after all.

But I can’t help the drained feeling I get from interacting with these people only to find out that it wasn’t real. Almost every night and subsequent morning I have to re-experience a part of my life that I just want to be done with.

I am very interested in your experiences with these types of dreams, if you’ve had them.