Partial Hospitalization

VioletTears

Has anyone done it? If so, how did you explain your absense to your employer and co-workers?

My therapist really wants me to do this. It would by Monday-Friday for 3 weeks. I know she's right that I "need" it but I am so apprehensive about the reaction I would get at work.

FOR REAL

Banned
ive often wondered about what they would actually do at the hospital that would make a person better!
the last time i had a breakdown i really considered it but i think i would be bored out my brain

the doctor would give you a sickline that would be sent to your employer i think (its been that long since i had a REAL job)
you dont have to explain anything to your co-workers. if someone asks you just say that you had a problem (or words to that effect) cause its really none of their business (no explainations are needed)

Noca

Banned
You mean outpatient when you say "partial hospitalization"? If so what for? Is it for depression or anxiety? As for explaining it to your employer simply say its for medical reasons or have your doctor write your employer a note. As for your co-workers, tell them to mind their own business.

FOR REAL

Banned
You mean outpatient when you say "partial hospitalization"? If so what for? Is it for depression or anxiety? As for explaining it to your employer simply say its for medical reasons or have your doctor write your employer a note. As for your co-workers, tell them to mind their own business.

"medical reasons" perfect answer.:)

VioletTears

I think the purpose is mosly for my depression. I mean, really my depression and anxiety are all tied together but with this my therapist is simply worried about how much (or how little) it might take to push me over the edge. I think partial hospitalization is primarily aimed at preventing suicide.

I believe it's more intensive therapy, with a combination of assessments, individualized therapy, group therapy and personal assignments. Part of the purpose, too, would be to keep a closer eye on my response to medications, since I have been having a lot of trouble with my antidepresants being "too activating" for me.

What you guys are telling me is like what my therapist told me, too. The problem is that people at my workplace gossip a lot. If I say nothing they'll speculate like mad. And also because they share their business with me I don't know if they might feel betrayed in a way that I'm shutting them out of my life. I hate the thought of people talking behind my back, though.

I don't know if it's worth it or not. I don't have to go. It's just that I feel the program would be good for me, but the implications with work would cause me more anxiety.

FOR REAL

Banned
try to focus on yourself.

gossips are always going to be gossips, let them speculate all they like, the thing is the gossips are really annoyed when they dont know stuff, i bet they have trouble sleeping because of that!

DONT LET THE B*STERDS GET TO YOU

Anastasia

How about just make up a total lie? Say you've got some family business to attend to or something. It's probably bet not to tell them the real reason. People can still be very ignorant and, unfortunately, cruel.

I did something like this once too but didn't really make the most of the therapy on offer at the time like CBT, because I was too busy making friends for the first time in years! If you do go, I'd recommend you make full use of it because it would probably be really helpful.