panicky now and again

tdgower2

Hi all, I'm 19 and am in my 2nd year at university studying Geography. Most things in my life are going quite well, and hopefully that will stay the same, but every now and again the dreaded panic attacks keep coming back and put me in a sense of depression for days on end.
I statrted having the attacks when i turned 15, i was always quite a worrier and thought everything was going to go wrong. Socially i was quite adept, and i believe i was quite an intelligent pupil, but once i started getting bullied i didn't know how to react. So much so that i remember not going into my form class for months because i was scared that i would get bullied! This was when i was 11 or 12, so it laid the foundations for my future attacks.
The worst thing (or best thing) about the attacks is that over the course of 4 years i have noticed a change in myself, some good some bad. For example before the attacks i was more of a selfish person and didn't care much for others, but now i have become, dare i say it, a nicer person! The bad things i talk of are memory loss and lack of motivation. Both things i had in abundance before the attacks, but now they are really hard to find.
I always hope that my memory and motivation will come back, but so far they haven't. I've heard my teachers call me an under-achiever, and i almost cry thinking what could have been, great job lots of money that sort of thing.
Of course now the best thing to do is focus on the year ahead, and try and get as good a grade as i can. But sometimes the attacks are so bad that i can't think about anything other than the panic attacks. I know they will go after a few days or week but i stll hate them, plus they can crop up at the worst of times.
Anyway, sorry for the overly long post, i'm glad that i got this off my chest and that some people know of my anxiety.
:D

TRRobin

Hi tdgower and welcome to socialphobiaworld, thankyou for your post.
I'm new here to and I'm sorry for what your going through.
I relate to what you've said as I seem to have poor memory and lack of motivation, it feels like my head is foggy and I pretty much can't be bothered to do anything.
I was also bullied back in school which in turn caused me to skive alot and i think really messed me up.
I'm trying to make a change atm to make things better.
So I think we see things through a similar window.

I hope things can get better for you in the future. :)
And good luck on your geography course!
Peace.

tdgower2

Thanks for the reply TRRobin, it's comforting to know someone else is going through some of the things that i've been through (that might seem nasty but i mean it in a nice friendly way lol).
Just wondering, are u at school or have u left that dreadful place. Are u around my age? Sorry if this seems a bit personal, but your situation seems similar to mine.

:)