panic attacks question

stevecl

does the fear of having a panic attack trigger a panic attack? or is it a certain situation?

regards steve

Alexp

Hi Steve,

The fear of having a panic attack certainly can trigger a panic attack in itself. The theory goes that its the day you truly believe you cant have a panic attack, is the day you wont have one. By accepting and embracing the fear, you can avoid panic attacks. Panic attacks is a type of fear that its based off fear, so it feeds itself..so the fear of having a panic attack certainly does make it more likely to trigger one.

Certain situations can invoke a panic attack too though. Its typically a situation where the person thinks they cant 'get away' in some form. Its a blockage buildup in my opinion that's constantly being diverted by the person, that eventually breaks through in the form of a panic attack that lasts a few seconds. The reason it usually hits when the person feels they cant get away, is that they feel they can no longer continue to block and protect themselves and then the fear sets in and everything falls apart just for a moment.

Alexp

Stopping panic attacks is extremely difficult and would recommend working with a psychology or psychiatrist.

Heres a few thoughts though based on the work I've done.

"Control" can be a misleading word. Many times what drives panic attacks is the need to control the fear itself. The unwillingness to submit to whatever is driving the fear. Its when you can let go and not even acknowledge any fear is when it ceases to have power over you. If you try to actively control the fear or put the fear aside - then it can drive the fear higher.

It usually some kind of emotional blockage thats causing the fear to begin with. An unwillingless to submit to your mind. Its the effort to continually fight back many times without even knowing what you are fighting.

As I said, working closely with a doctor is the best. Any advice I could give though would be to work on 'letting go' and allowing your body to feel the emotional process when the time is right.

MrsP

I'm ok now as I've not had one for so long (about 8 months) but when I used to have them all the time, I'd dread waking up each day as I was so afraid of being anxious enough to have another attack.