Panic attacks in mall

CheshireCat

I just had a really bad experience. I went to the mall with my b/f, I asked him if he could come with me so I could pick up some new clothes (I seriously have only a few outfits). I was in an excited mood and really wanted some new things (still nervous from my social anxiety, but nothing was going to stop me). Well that's what i thought. It stopped me. I went into the store I was looking most forward to going into and it was packed. I tried to look around with my b/f, started to feel nervous and had a panic attack. I teared up, couldn't catch my breathe felt horrible. He got me to go into two more stores, I begged him not too, but he was trying to help me and get the clothes I wanted. I had panic attacks in those stores as well...cried...and just felt miserable. I saw some really nice things too but couldn't get up the nerve to try them on. I just freaked out. I hate the response that comes from social anxiety. Sometimes I feel I can do things, and it works temporarily (like shopping), but tonight not at all. I feel miserable. I really need clothes!!

GloomySunday

Sorry to hear about that bad experience. It's happened to me in the past and I know how it feels to have a panic attack in a crowded public place.

Panic attacks are unpredictable things. You never know when they're going to occur, but there are certain things that trigger it off. Is it crowded places that do it for you?

If that's the case, maybe you could pick a time or day when it's not likely to be so crowded. Alternatively, you could go into a store, quickly view what you'd like to try on, go out and then go back later and just try it on quickly? That way you can be in and out of there without having time to get over anxious - cut the time you spend in each store into little pieces.

But it's good that you've got someone there that cares for you. That's the greatest help of all.