panic attacks from marijauna

steph_gem

Hi I am new to forum.
I have recently had my life truned upside down becuase of panic attacks.
It happend after eating brownies with marijauna in them. All the sudden I felt an extreme feeling of what I know now was derealization. Then the panic began. Because i had to wait for the brownies to where off it lasted from 4 pm until 11 at night. Now I get panic attacks all the time, especially at wrork. And from what I read about panic attacks is that they over quick. Not mine. MIne keep going usually an hour.
I went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed me with lexapro and adevent, sorry if my spelling is wrong. Its really making hard to go to work. I have to make sure I take a benzo before I go to work so I dont freak out again. Im so afraid my dr wont refil my prescription for them to.
Im so conviced the pot did something to me. I never had anxiety like this before. I want to be back to normal.

MpyreDzirez

samething

Me and my sister swear a bad bag gave us anxiety years ago.

My first attack came from smokin off that same bag. You have to swear it off untill you become more powerful. I have a story about it on my myspace page. www.myspace.com/anxietycure add me please

There is help for you if you look to the right places. I am not a believer in doctor prescribed medicines as they ended sending me to rehab. Half of them have all kinds of articles as to how they can make you think about going thru with a suicide attempt!!

No pills for me thank you! There are some really good ways to stop panic attacks in my myspace blog area. I stop people from having panic attacks daily now...hopefully more people will let me help them. I am loving the way it makes me feel.

Sable

I stear clear of dope since it seems to bring me down - I mean really, really down. Maybe it was an anxiety attack rather than a panic attack? I've had anxiety attacks that have lasted for hours. One particularly bad one lasted all night and most of the next day. I've never had one brought on by smoking dope though.

Quickslash

Keep on the lexapro, I recently started celexa(basically same drug as lexapro) and it has helped incredibly for panic attacks. I also had bad panic attacks triggered by pot. The caffeine in the chocolate of the brownies could have intensified the panic attack you had combined with the weed.

cr8

From what my doctor told me I guess its common for anxiety to 'appear' with marijuana use. He told me he thought it brought my anxiety to the surface...not that it caused it. My first panic attack I got was after I smoked a good amount and it lasted a few hours. My anxiety faded over time (with the help of a doctor and some medicine) and now its manageable. But man...that first time sucked. I spent the next two weeks convinced I had messed my life up forever and screwed up something in my head. I promise things will work out. I remember...that's all I thought is "I want to be normal again". It may take a little time but things WILL work out. For me it hit me like a brick. I had constant anxiety (not an all out panic attack...just general anxiety). Then it changed to anxiety with periods of being content (usualy when I would be distracted by something). Now I still get anxiety from time to time but I have a lot more control over it and that general feeling of anxiety is long gone. I'm confident you can get over this too. Keep seeing the psychatrist, it will help. Good luck!!!

steph_gem

Im feeling better now. I still notice myself getting really stressed a lot. Sometimes ithink I will have another attack but has not happend again. I think I am a little more in control.. I still have bad headaches. I really do think this has changed my life.

jessnz

I hardly touch MJ anymore because of how anxious and scared it makes me feel, it used to make me feel good but now it just brings out all the dark and horrible thoughts inside me and it's not much fun at all :(

siyko

Can definately agree with this, i started smoking dope at the age of 14 with mates, at first it was brilliant, getting the giggles, munchies, europhic feeling ect, but soon became dependant and started to get panic attacks which were awful, even after a while, i knew the symptoms of a panic attack and realised that thats what was happening, but each time the fear was still the same and i was convinced i was gonna die, over the next couple of years i started to get ocd, doing numerous rituals, mental counting ect, since then ive been on several types of medication, but none have truly worked, im on the waiting list for cbt (cognative behaviour therapy) hopefully that will help get to the bottom of my crazy mind eh! As for cannabis it can be an amazing high giving you extra creativity, different ways of thinking and it definately is a far less dangerous drug than alcohol, and the plant hemp is a far quicker and easier crop to grow for clothing, paper, ect, but i dont think enough research has been done on the long term effects of dope, i do think it has definately brought out forms of mental illnesses in a lot of ppl.

Fuck it lets have a spliff!!

dez-i

I'm curious, since eating the brownies have you smoked marijuna? Or was that the last time and you're still getting these panic/anxiety attacks?

I did experience something while having pot before but it wasn't a panic attack. I suppose it's possible it could've been some sort of anxiety attack, I'm not certain. But in my case I've already been taking medication for my social phobia at the time it happened.

Tryin

worrydoll said:
mj brings out whats inside you. its not marijuana's fault youre nervous.

worrydoll's completely right. marijuana can even bring out a mental illness, like depression, schyzophrenia, or SP. i knew someone who was in a bad, bad depression after smoking marijuana. (i said i knew him because he commited a suicide about a year ago. :( )
so, marijuana is dangerous, especially when you have tendency to mental illnesses. don't you even try it, people.

Adfcom

http://www.justthinktwice.com/factfiction/MarijuanaisHarmless.cfm

Mental health. For young users, marijuana can lead to increased anxiety, panic attacks, depression and other mental health problems. For those already prone to depression or anxiety attacks, marijuana use may accelerate or exacerbate problems.

• The United Kingdom Department of Health acknowledged in January, 2005 that cannabis is an “important causal factor” in mental illness. A spokesman for the Department said that “There is medical clinical evidence now that there is an important causal factor between cannabis use and schizophrenia—not the only factor, but an important causal factor. That is the common consensus among the medical fraternity.” (BBC News, January 29, 2005).
Because of this, the UK is reconsidering its cannabis policies.

• A British mental health organization, Rethink, reported that “there had been a 60% increase in people who had smoked (cannabis) and had mental problems in the last five years. (BBC News, January 29, 2005).

• A study conducted by Maastricht University (Netherlands) and published in the British Medical Journal reported that frequent cannabis use during adolescence and young adulthood raises the risk of psychotic symptoms later in life. (BBC News, December 1, 2004). British medical officials are also concerned about the number of cannabis-related mental illness admissions to mental wards. Marjorie Wallace, chief executive of the mental health charity Sane, told the London Daily Mail that “In London 80 percent of people assessed with a first episode of psychosis are on cannabis. The explosion of cannabis-induced psychosis is already happening.” (London Daily Mail, June 21, 2005).

A couple of months ago, before what's been going on now, I think I had the same thing. I had stopped smoking a few months before that, due to it making me feel paranoid, I went from being an everyday smoker to not smoking at all overnight. A friend of mine baked some brownies, I had one, I started feeling really strange, spent over an hour walking up and down my hallway, then it finally went away enough for me to feel safe going to sleep, I blamed it on mj, but now I'm not so sure, 3 weeks ago I had another one, perfectly sober. I haven't touched anything since that day, which was last fall. I think the freaky part is that it brings it out, but then you blame it on the drug and don't realize what is happening.