Pandas

IDK94657

Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections (PANDAS)

The Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections or “PANDAS” form of OCD is thought to be triggered by an infection of the same bacteria that causes strep throat and scarlet fever. As the child’s immune system fights the strep infection, it becomes confused and starts to attack an area of the brain called the basal ganglia. Although changes in a number of brain areas underlie symptoms of OCD, abnormalities of the basal ganglia have been associated with symptoms of OCD.

Of course, strep throat is a common infection and not all children who develop this infection will develop the PANDAS form of OCD. Research has shown that only those children who are genetically predisposed to OCD or tics are vulnerable to developing this form of OCD.

I visited a wonderful psychiatrist down in Roswell, GA, by the name of Dr. Richard Carpenter. He helped me to further understand my problems, and he even opened my eyes to something I had never thought of. Okay, according to Dr. Carpenter I have OCD but not the typical OCD. He says that genetic OCD stays with you forever and usually is about as severe as it will get throughout your life.

To fix the problem the doctor has recommended that I take supplements and eat foods to increase serotonin levels. I won't have to take prozac, but I'll have to take plenty of 5HT supplements and drink Ensures, as well as eat foods such as turkey and drink plenty of milk. But on the flip side, I'll need to take penicillin as it can treat my form of OCD, according to Dr. Carpenter.

Basically if all goes well I'll have no problems by time I'm through the treatment, but the treatment seems to be permanent. I'll probably be confined to 600-1000mg of 5HT per day, 2 penicillin, and 2 Ensures a day. But, if that works out then I'll never have to deal with the OCD, or it won't be even a quarter as bad as it is now.

However, the earliest this could show an effect is probably February, so I'll have to deal with it until then. But that'll be easy enough. :)

It's a little confusing because I'm 18, but he's the doctor here!

Last edited:

dooby-duck

When I started to research into tourettes I found quite a bit of information about PANDAS and there seems to be a lot of controversy around this topic.

IDK94657

Recently I've had a few increasing problems with the OCD, and now its suggested that I take paxil because they have accelerated. I've tried explaining some of the reasons but now it just seems that I'm forced to take the drug, regardless of how I feel about it.

I wanted to try the penicillin method with 5-HT supplements first, but now we're taking a dramatic step to SSRIs. I was even told my visit down there that I had control over what I did and the methods I took to take control of it, and as I told them, "So it's not happening fast enough and we're moving straight to this?"

krfoss

There has been some talk lately of treating new cases of OCD with an initial round of antibotics as a measure of preventing potential PANDAS. Even if you didnt have Scarlet Fever, or the other infections/ diseases that typically lead to PANDAS, I've heard some research suggests taking this measure may help rule this out in your treatment. Regardless of this working or not, the Psych should be doing some CBT and behavioral training to deal with the onset. Good luck with the meds. Let us know how it all works out.

IDK94657

There has been some talk lately of treating new cases of OCD with an initial round of antibotics as a measure of preventing potential PANDAS. Even if you didnt have Scarlet Fever, or the other infections/ diseases that typically lead to PANDAS, I've heard some research suggests taking this measure may help rule this out in your treatment. Regardless of this working or not, the Psych should be doing some CBT and behavioral training to deal with the onset. Good luck with the meds. Let us know how it all works out.

I did have strep throat throughout high school at least twice a year I believe, but he hasn't wanted to do the therapy yet. So far they just want to throw paxil at me. I don't mind trying, but being told "Your going to whether you like it or not" doesn't work for me.

I'll try the CBT and or stuff myself at least for a bit and see how it works. Thanks. :D