Oxybutynin worked for ME! 95% Sweat Free over 2 years now!!

jzymom

I suffered from Hyperhidrosis for many, many years. My hands, feet, and armpits would literally drip sweat constantly. I know that many of you can relate!! I tried nearly everything, and I was considering the nerve surgery (I figured being sweat-free was worth risking paralyzation - shame on me!).

I was doing some research online and came across a post from a guy that tried Ditropan. I figured it was worth a try! That was over TWO YEARS AGO!! I have been 95% sweat free since I started this medication! I cannot tell you how it has changed my life for the good!

No more wiping my hands on my jeans until my jeans were soaked; no more huge, wet armpit stains; no more avoiding all social situations because of the fear of soaking wet handshakes; no more damp socks and shoes; no more ruined papers.....shall I go on?!

I asked my Family Physician about getting this medication. He's the one that put me on it. I get "Oxybutynin" which is generic for Ditropan. (I found out that the generic actually works better. If you cannot get the generic, choose Ditropan over Ditropan XL. The regular Ditropan works better.) I take 5 mg of Oxybutynin each night.

The only noticeable side effect (besides the decreased sweating!) is fatigue. Which is why I take my pill right before I go to bed. It took about 2 - 3 weeks before I noticed a major difference so stick with it! After your sweating decreases, your anxiety lessens, which causes you to sweat less, which causes you to think about it less.....it's a wonderful positive cycle!!!

Copay at Doctor's Office $20
Cost of Prescription $5
Dry, Confident Handshake PRICELESS!!!

Please feel free to email me with any questions! I'd like to help as many people as possible as this medication has definitely helped ME!

Christy

That's great that it's worked so well for you, congrats!

Do you not get any other side effects, dry mouth, dry eyes, blurred vision?

jzymom

Thank you, Pinker. I want to let as many people know as possible. It truly has been life-changing for me!

I've experienced no other side effects. In fact, the fatigue that I experienced when I first began taking Oxybutynin has subsided as well. My doctor suggested that I get annual bloodwork done, just to make sure all is well internally. All bloodwork has been completely normal.

I just wish that more people knew about this medication so they can end their suffering as well.

Pinker, this is a great forum. Thank you for all the time and effort you put forth into maintaining this forum.
Christy

clack013

I take oxybutynin also but I take 12.5 mg's a day so the side effects are much worse than what you experience. You are lucky such a small dose works for you.

jzymom

Clack, I'm sorry to hear that. What kind of side effects does it cause for you? How long have you been taking Oxybutynin? Where did you first hear about it? Just curious!

clack013

ive been taking it for about 2 years now. Dry mouth and throat w/ trouble speaking has been the worst side effect but also flushing of the face, upset stomach, shortness of breath, and due to the fact that it depresses the CNS impotence has been a problem. If there was a better alternative I would try it but oxybutynin does give me relief from sweating and without it I sweat so bad that it would be impossible to be a normal part of society.

Joker

I've been taking Oxybutynin for about a year now. It does help, but unfortunately I still sweat a decent amount. I usually take 5mg twice a day. If I got any higher than that I really start to notice dry mouth/throat.

Glad it works so well for you though!

clack013

do you have whole body hyperhidrosis? I sweat a decent amout also even while taking the pills, but that just goes to show how bad my hyperhidrosis is without pills. Have you tried secure wipes? I just ordered them to see if I can minimize the sweating in problem areas and/or lower my dose of ditropan. I take about 2.5 mg/s a day and the dry mouth and throat is pretty severe. I noticed if I take .5 x 5 times a day the dry mouth and throat isn't as bad but the sweating isn't lowered as much either.

clack013

as you probably know ditropan depresses the central nervous system. just out of curiosity have you noticed any of these side effects such as impotence, drowsiness, shortness of breath etc. ?

roz

It's great to hear this medication is working for you. I have inquired about getting a prescription from my dermatologist and he was hesitant in doing so. He mentioned how this medication is really for the relaxation of muscles in the bladder to increase capacity and decrease frequency in voiding. The decrease in the secretions from sweat glands is actually a side effect of the medication. Please let me know if it's too personal but did you have any problems with excessive urination in addition to hyperhidrosis that caused your doctor to recommended this particular medication? Has it had any effects on your urinary system?

clack013

no I did not have any urination problems. I researched and found out that it was commonly prescribed for hyperhidrosis and asked my doctor to write me a prescription which he gladly did. While taking it I do notice that I can "hold it" longer and sometimes you have to be patient to get the stream to start, but once it starts you will generally pee for a long time. If you think about it any effect from a medication that you don't want is considered a side effect, but really they are just all effects of the medication. If you are taking it for sweating than decreased sweating is the desired effect while decreased frequency of using the bathroom is the side effect.

roz

Re: Oxybutynin worked for ME! 95% Sweat Free over 2 years no

Thanks for your reply clack013. I would also like to extend my question to all who have responded and are currently taking Ditropan to treat their hyperhidrosis, especially Christy/jyzmom who began the thread. Thanks.

RE: It's great to hear this medication is working for you. I have inquired about getting a prescription from my dermatologist and he was hesitant in doing so. He mentioned how this medication is really for the relaxation of muscles in the bladder to increase capacity and decrease frequency in voiding. The decrease in the secretions from sweat glands is actually a side effect of the medication. Please let me know if it's too personal but did you have any problems with excessive urination in addition to hyperhidrosis that caused your doctor to recommended this particular medication? Has it had any effects on your urinary system?

jzymom said:
I suffered from Hyperhidrosis for many, many years. My hands, feet, and armpits would literally drip sweat constantly. I know that many of you can relate!! I tried nearly everything, and I was considering the nerve surgery (I figured being sweat-free was worth risking paralyzation - shame on me!).

I was doing some research online and came across a post from a guy that tried Ditropan. I figured it was worth a try! That was over TWO YEARS AGO!! I have been 95% sweat free since I started this medication! I cannot tell you how it has changed my life for the good!

No more wiping my hands on my jeans until my jeans were soaked; no more huge, wet armpit stains; no more avoiding all social situations because of the fear of soaking wet handshakes; no more damp socks and shoes; no more ruined papers.....shall I go on?!

I asked my Family Physician about getting this medication. He's the one that put me on it. I get "Oxybutynin" which is generic for Ditropan. (I found out that the generic actually works better. If you cannot get the generic, choose Ditropan over Ditropan XL. The regular Ditropan works better.) I take 5 mg of Oxybutynin each night.

The only noticeable side effect (besides the decreased sweating!) is fatigue. Which is why I take my pill right before I go to bed. It took about 2 - 3 weeks before I noticed a major difference so stick with it! After your sweating decreases, your anxiety lessens, which causes you to sweat less, which causes you to think about it less.....it's a wonderful positive cycle!!!

Copay at Doctor's Office $20
Cost of Prescription $5
Dry, Confident Handshake PRICELESS!!!

Please feel free to email me with any questions! I'd like to help as many people as possible as this medication has definitely helped ME!

Christy

wow, just amazing to not feel alone in this. Im just starting regular ditropan at 5mg X a day. I hope it works as well as yall have reported. Im so close to just getting the ETS. Thanks again for the comfort in sharing this pain in the ass affliction. Larry

tbanner523

I think it's variable on how well it works with people. Part of it probably has to do with how much you sweat, which causes you to take higher dosages which, in turn, creates more side effects. But, judging by some heavy sweaters here and on other forums, a moderate dosage works well for them. It may be that heavy sweaters that have success with Ditropan versus those that don't boils down to individual differences in how they react to the drug. Or, maybe, their hyperhidrosis is somehow different. Who knows....

I took Ditropan years ago when I first started experiencing generalized sweating and it worked well at low dosages. My whole body would dry up and I would only experience minor issues with dry mouth and drowsiness. Over time, as my HH got worse, the Ditropan became less effective. I had to up the dosage, and I started overheating and turning red. It got to the point where I had to ditch the med because of the side effects. But, in general, it seems like this drug has helped a lot of people.

hb72

I just started ditropan aswell, robinul worked for me great but it was not available here, had to buy it online from canada. Started ditropan on Friday 10mg in the morning, limited effectivness. yesterday 15mg better results and then today 20mg in the morning and dry all day . Tomorrow ill stay with 20mg in the morning and 20mg at night to get 24/7 dryness. I get less side effects with this than robinul , the dry throat was worse with robinul but ditropan makes my eyes drier but has less severe dry throat even with 20mg. I have HH on the hands and feet.

clayton123

hey im taking 5mg twice a day and its working fine but i have one problem..while i go to the gym i dont sweat i just have that sticky feeling around my body and im worrying alot :/ did it happen to you?

zerocool

I can also confirm that oxybutynin works. I had been a long term user since 2003 up until end of last year. I was taking 2.5 mg twice daily. I had to be pretty consistent on the timing for it to work 100%. I would order the pills from an online Canadian pharmacy even with a prescription because it was cheaper. I decided to stop taking the meds last year because I did not want to deal with the side effects anymore. It definitely effected normal urination, "male" problems, and constant eye, skin and mouth dryness. I actually have a tiny scar on my eye my doc says because my eyes were so dry. It definitely works for sweating but for me it just didn't feel healthy as a long term solution. I'm trying ionto now as a replacement.