Overcoming Shyness

lostwitness

Do only the jacked jocks have girlfriends? Do only these people do ANYTHING with girls? The obvious answer is a loud no. So we've discovered that you are not hopeless, just lost. There is a means to the end, you just don't have it, and probably can't figure it out yourself at the moment. But it's there. Let's take it up another notch.

You can get a girl. The possibility is there. So how do we act on it? Well, let's see! What do girls respond to? Confidence. The jacked jocks get this in spades because of popularity and body, so it comes naturally. For the rest of us, it's a bit more daunting. Here's the kicker though. If you have confidence, nothing else matters. You can even be a jackass, and confidence will get you X distance. Of course, to get further than X, you need not be a jackass, but I'm just saying. Confidence drives half the race.

Alrighty...so we need confidence. How do we do that?! ...You have quite a bit of control over this. Never put yourself down, even if you think you're just admitting the truth. Never. Ever. You are fucking awesome, and you're gonna get what you want. Period. Adopt this mindset. As said by C. S. Lewis, if you wear a mask over yourself, you'll find yourself conforming to that mask sooner or later. Believe and you will be. Every time you look down on yourself, whether you think it's true or not, you reset back to square one. Remember that.

So now we have the road to confidence. But we're not quite done. Shyness is a factor that dwindles with confidence, but still needs to be overthrown to help build confidence at the same time. Talk to the people around you. Be loud. You don't have to make a total change all at once, but just take it in comfortable strides. Talk to that girl next to you in math class tomorrow, about the weather. Anything. Say hi. I started on this road by a very simple method that worked superbly: Acknowledge every single person you see in the hall that you know. Whether you're good friends or just kind of know them from another class. I make it a point to nod and say their name. There goes Josh from Science...I nod and say Josh in a friendly-hello-ish tone of voice. This, you should start immediately. It is easy to bring yourself into, and helps greatly with shyness and confidence, without you even realizing it.

So now we're combating the shyness/confidence situation. What else do we need? Attitude. Be friendly. Always. Even people you hate. Diplomacy is the most important aspect. Be able to get along with the smartest kid in the class and the dumbest gangsta kid. Adapt to your situation such that they look at you like an equal. If you want more clarification on this I could go off on this a bit. With the sense of diplomacy thrown into the mix, all you have to do is just set your attention on the girls. Acknolwedge the girls in the halls. Say hi. Be friendly. Smile. You don't even have to talk all that much. A few hellos go a long way. Always smile too. Never let yourself look sad. That's a turn off.

...and that's it for the moment....try it out. Keep us posted. Post any events that you thought went wrong or you thought went right. We'll keep you advised. [/list]

thegoodfight

You can get a girl. The possibility is there. So how do we act on it? Well, let's see! What do girls respond to? Confidence. The jacked jocks get this in spades because of popularity and body, so it comes naturally. For the rest of us, it's a bit more daunting. Here's the kicker though. If you have confidence, nothing else matters. You can even be a jackass, and confidence will get you X distance. Of course, to get further than X, you need not be a jackass, but I'm just saying. Confidence drives half the race.

dude, youre right on the fucking money on that!

C-O-N-F-I-D-E-N-C-E

with that, you can do anything.

and the best way to break out of your shell is to randomly talk to people.
dont think about it, just do it !
it will make you feel better and positive, the more you do it the better you feel.
Who cares what they think, so many people in this world that think so many different ways, just keep trying them out until you find a few that you like ( OHH MAYBE YOU GET LUCKY AND FIND A NICE GIRL! )

I'm not trying to be cynical here but just think about it, you're a little speck on the earth, in the solar system, in the universe. Nobody cares what your past/present/future is, who you are, what you do, when you die you will be forgotten! So make the best of the time you have on the planet, and make yourself and others happy. Live life to the fullest. Be what you want to be, don't let your shyness get in the way. If you WANT to better yourself, you WILL better yourself BUT ONLY IF YOU WANT IT!!!! Be happy, life is good!

say it with me:

LIFE IS GOOD!

newshyguy

and the best way to break out of your shell is to randomly talk to people.
dont think about it, just do it !
it will make you feel better and positive, the more you do it the better you feel.
Who cares what they think, so many people in this world that think so many different ways, just keep trying them out until you find a few that you like ( OHH MAYBE YOU GET LUCKY AND FIND A NICE GIRL! )

just by thinking about how my life would be if i would talk to people i see randomly everyday is making me shy right now :oops:

LIFE is GOOD
- i know!!

Great post!

You hit the nail on the head with confidence and attitude.. I know myself it's difficult to make the initial changes but i'm slowly trying to get there haha bit by bit

Thanks for typing that dude

Quixote

Interesting post, I agree with most of what is said, especially with the notion that personality is not a fixed trait but it can be changed and "learned", and it need not be such an impossible task.

I am not completely sure about the suggestion of adopting a "cold" and somewhat cynical attitude towards human relations, because I am afraid that while making it easier to build new ones, it would also take away all the pleasure in them. I mean how could I truly enjoy the company of a person if I am practically experimenting on him/her? I would have to adopt the frame of mind of a scientist and this is hardly compatible with friendship. But then, I have had no true friends since quite a while, so I might as well try your way.

Septor

Confidence and attitude is everything.It's geting there that's the hard part but you have offered some good advice.Good job you sound like you have some good ideas. :D