overanalyzing emotions?

So I just wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone. Sometimes when I'm talking to people I start analyzing how it is that I'm supposed to feel while not really feeling anything. Like someone will say something and it sounds like it might be offensive, so i'll start thinking "wait a minute, am I supposed to be offended? Should I pretend I'm mad? But what if I pretend I'm mad but it turns out it wasn't offensive" Or if basically someone is saying a sad story and people start getting sad but I don't feel anything, I think "oh crap! I gotta pretend I'm sad now". Am I the only one who gets like this?

Nathália

So I just wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone. Sometimes when I'm talking to people I start analyzing how it is that I'm supposed to feel while not really feeling anything. Like someone will say something and it sounds like it might be offensive, so i'll start thinking "wait a minute, am I supposed to be offended? Should I pretend I'm mad? But what if I pretend I'm mad but it turns out it wasn't offensive" Or if basically someone is saying a sad story and people start getting sad but I don't feel anything, I think "oh crap! I gotta pretend I'm sad now". Am I the only one who gets like this?

It's very hard for me to have a vocal conversation, to talk. When I am talking I can't hit the backspace button and ponder about what I should say or do.

When I talk sometimes I say things that are not me to keep up to speed because I am thinking all of these things like you.

I should work on having a teflon mind and let everything come and go as it please and not hang on to the bad things that come but what am I suppose to say and not?

I do feel for people but I don't want to to think I am a zombie. I've came across as apathetic and had to force my inside to show it on the outside.

Yes.

Last edited:

I don't think you're the only one in this situation, only that maybe other people know to pretend a bit better. :))
Seriously though, small talk usually gets people like this, because small talk is by definition kind of neutral and if you're talking about things that don't really interest you, you don't feel so strongly about it.

totoro

The main time that happens to me is when someone says something funny but I don't find it humorous or funny even though I can see why some people would.

So I think to myself "should I pretend to laugh and find it funny? but what if they see through it and realise it's fake?" Then I may start thinking..."what's wrong with me? why didn't I find it funny and react like everyone else? gosh, why am I such an hopeless weirdo..."

LostAndNotFound

I over analyze so much! Emotions, thoughts, and actions.. Just always worried I'm going to do the wrong thing. Emotions are probably one of the hardest things for me, because I don't know how to express it... When I'm sad, I don't look, or seem sad at all. I get called "heartless" all the time for my non emotionless side of me... It sucks. You are not the only one who over analyzes your emotions.

Srijita52

I don't think you're the only one in this situation, only that maybe other people know to pretend a bit better. :))
Seriously though, small talk usually gets people like this, because small talk is by definition kind of neutral and if you're talking about things that don't really interest you, you don't feel so strongly about it.

Agreed.......