Organization/Study Skills

coolguy2005

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to be more organized with your school work. Ever since I've entered university, I've noticed that this is an area which I need strong work on. I have browsed various sites, but the information they provide is limited and too general. I was wondering if anybody with adaquate organizatoin skills can share some ideas with me.

young

What are you looking at accomplishing? you need study help? or do you need someone to organize your papers?

coolguy2005

Thanks for the reply young. I"ll be more specific.

1. I have trouble making organized notes for myself.

2. I have time management problems. I can never seem to find the time to finish.

3. I have trouble motivating myself to study.

Any suggestions on how I can improve in those areas?

young

Well there's never enough time. You just need to budget it better. And noone ever really likes studying. Well most people don't. You can either study and make something of your life. Or not it's your choice.

Toad

I'm a bit obsessive about this (hah...a bit...right)...so...i can tell you what i do to stay organized...might help, might not.

In order to keep my notes in order i date everything i write on...be it notes i take in class, or work i do outside of class. This way when it comes time to study i know what to study. I kinda made my own system where notes in class would be dated like (dd-mm-yy #) where # is the page number of that day, and stuff i do on my own (homework generally) is dated (dd-mm-yy H#). This way i can determine what the "official" material is as opposed to my random problem solvings. This also makes it easier when it comes time to study cause i tend to take everything out of my notebook that I'm studying and it gets all mixed up.

As for time management...well...dunno how to really help you there, but pretty much all I do at college is study, so the only problem I really have there is deciding what are the most important things to study...but normally I just make sure I know it all almost to the point where i could tell you the number of problems in chapters (i do a lot of math related subjects).

The way I motivate myself to study is simple...I'm a perfectionist so I never allow myself to fail...in order to prevent this I have to solve problems until I can do them in my sleep, or until I run out of time (which happens more often than not)...obviously this won't help you. However I do find it easier to study if I'm listening to music that way my mind doesn't wander all over the place and I'm not as easily distracted since I'm already mutitasking. It also makes concentrating when taking the test easier...unless of course you have a song stuck in your head which always happens to me and is quite annoying.

Joszax

I took a course on college success, and found it was little more than a review of our textbook. However, the text book itself, "Becoming a Master Student" by David Ellis, was actually a pretty helpful and it covered all your problem areas among other things. I'd suggest investing in a used copy if you could find it on the web.

Of course a problem with taking anyone's advice on note taking or motivation is that these things vary from person to person. A lot just has to be found out by one's own trial and error.

Personally, I motivate myself to study by saying "Ok, I don't really want to study right now, but it's only a short discomfort that I will probably never regard again in my life. (the discomfort that is :D ) On the otherhand, if I don't study now it will be more likely that I will fail the next test, and i probably won't remember this material after the course despite my objective to learn."

That usually works for me.

Hurricane

I once read something about mind-mapping...someone familiar with that technique?
I'm studying history in university and I really need to remember tons of facts and dates, someone who knows some helpfull tips on better learning?

black_mamba

coolguy2005 said:
Thanks for the reply young. I"ll be more specific.

1. I have trouble making organized notes for myself.

2. I have time management problems. I can never seem to find the time to finish.

3. I have trouble motivating myself to study.

Any suggestions on how I can improve in those areas?

I'm in my final year at university, and you don't get this far without being organised. I'm going to share some of the tips that help me personally but obviously, as Josazax mentioned, don't expect the same things that work for me to work for you, but they may help in pointing you in the right direction.

1. Organised notes ok....I normally deal with 8 modules a year, thats 4 a semester and each module is split into 2 distinct parts -basically lots and lots of notes. I've noticed some students keep a single folder full of all their notes or seperate folders for each module, whilst others (myself included) just take one folder and organise its contents to correlate with the following days lectures. This forces you to ensure that you know what lessons you have the next day (and may even encourage you to study, like a reminder). Using seperators really helps maintain some clarity between subjects too.

As for the notes themselves, what are you finding difficult? Is it hard to write what you need from the lecture? Can you not understand your notes afterwards?

I never date my notes but instead head them up with the subject contents in a bright pen, I highlight the things I don't understand so I'm forced to comprehend them first, then the easy stuff last. I don't copy direct from the board or what we're told to write. I try to listen and understand what we are told, then write only what I need. It's actually very hard work to not just copy blindly from the board but I think its worth it.

2. I think you need to be realistic about how long certain activities take, and if in doubt (which is most of the time) add some buffer time into your plan incase you take longer than expected. I know its a pain, but pre-planning your time helps in the longrun. In an exam, would you just rush in and try and complete all the questions regardless of how much time you should be allocating for each? Hopefully not. :) Take a little time to pre-plan your week, spreading out the study time so you don't get bored etc. Do you use a diary? They're invaluable!

3. I find it impssible to motivate myself to study subjects I have no interest in, so maybe you need to inject some realism into what you study. You didn't mention a subject, so assuming its all flat dull theory (like a science, or even economics or something very structured and dull like law)...it would be great if you could find a way of engaging yourself to the subject. Either that or imagine a nice shiney pot of money at the end of your degree. ;)

I'm a little bit competitive with my grades and always like to see that I've done better than most. This is what pushes me to work hard. It's strange, and probably not very healthy, but it makes me feel good and forces me to work better. 8O

Let me know what you think of this advice. :D

coolguy2005

Hi everyone.

Thank you for all of your support. You guys are great. I've noticed that SA People like us are some of the brightest and most talented people out there. it's a gift.

Toad...you have a very interesting system. I will look into that. I encourage other people to look into it too.

JOz, thank you for recommending the book to me and thank you for giving me some words of wisdom with regards to motivating myself to study.

And Mamba, last but not least, thank you for telling me how to organize my stuff, how to plan, and how to prioritze.

P.S mamba: I am also very competitive about my grades. however, 3 days ago I suffered a panic attack due to overstudying.(I used to study for 10 hours at a time) I have decided to take it easier from now on.

Mamba, if you are stressing out about grades, don't :) Take it a little bit easier and enjoy yourself. Be competitive, but don't let the grade get to your head. A couple of % lower won't cost you your future job :)

And by the way, I do have trouble taking down notes. What should I do to take better notes(other than recording the lecture or borrowing someone other's notes). I find that the professor goes too much into detail, talks too fast, and goes into a lot of off topics. How do I know what to write down?

coolguy2005

Hi everyone.

Thank you for all of your support. You guys are great. I've noticed that SA People like us are some of the brightest and most talented people out there. it's a gift.

Toad...you have a very interesting system. I will look into that. I encourage other people to look into it too.

JOz, thank you for recommending the book to me and thank you for giving me some words of wisdom with regards to motivating myself to study.

And Mamba, last but not least, thank you for telling me how to organize my stuff, how to plan, and how to prioritze.

P.S mamba: I am also very competitive about my grades. however, 3 days ago I suffered a panic attack due to overstudying.(I used to study for 10 hours at a time) I have decided to take it easier from now on.

Mamba, if you are stressing out about grades, don't :) Take it a little bit easier and enjoy yourself. Be competitive, but don't let the grade get to your head. A couple of % lower won't cost you your future job :)

And by the way, I do have trouble taking down notes. What should I do to take better notes(other than recording the lecture or borrowing someone other's notes). I find that the professor goes too much into detail, talks too fast, and goes into a lot of off topics. How do I know what to write down?

Bexi

Me too! i wonder what it means, i will try to find out, albiet for my own personal curiosity

PhantomPod

For organizing your notes, maybe it would be good if you had a big 3-ring binder with separators between each subject. I myself just have a different colored notebook for each subject. And I also date all of my notes and homework papers. I have one folder that I keep all of my stray papers in, but I go through it and clean it out often so it doesn't get full of unnecessary papers.

black_mamba

coolguy2005 said:

I work hard at my studies, but not to a ridiculous level. You had a panic attack? 8O That's intense study!! I'm not a straight-A's type, or even an A* type, I just try to get high grades in subjects I like. Funnily enough, last year I obtained 4 A's and every other grade percentage was 1,2,3 and 4% away from an A grade. Enough to give anyone a panic attack. :x

Back to you - Is your problem that you try to take down every piece of info the lecturer gives out?

The best way to know what you need to write down is analyse yourself and the way you learn; [I can only use myself as an example here]

I find that you can re-learn most information for a specific event e.g. coursework or an upcoming exam, and the only problem with this is how well your notes convey old information to you. Maybe try imagining yourself trying to re-read all your notes as you write them; this will force you to only write what you need when revising the info again. So simple, basic stuff that can be assumed from other notes or from common sense - leave it out.

What do you study anyway? *curious* :)