Opinions? Advice?

typewriterx

So I was thinking of signing up as volunteer tutoring. It looks good on resumes and I'm lacking in the extra curriculars. The only problem is, I keep thinking that I'm going to forget the stuff I'm tutoring on, or will teach it poorly. I'm currently in Pre-Calculus and I was going to sign up for helping with Algebra1 or Geometry.
[The order math classes must be taken in my school goes: 1.Algebra 2.Geometry 3.(Advanced)Algebra2. Pre Calculus. &so on.]
I did well in both of these classes, but I have a constant worry. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Dave_McFadden

Yeah, go ahead and tutor. Like you said, it'll look good on your resume. And since you're not actually grading people, they won't blame you like they would blame a teacher if they don't do well. You won't be "the bad guy". Besides, almost nobody teaches math well anyway. Although, if you had a good math teacher, try to imitate them.

Also, one bonus is, since you're tutoring math, people will EXPECT you to have social problems. So if you get anxious or nervous, etc. don't worry about making a bad impression or looking stupid in front of the person you're tutoring. They probably didn't expect a social butterfly. In fact, if you seem "normal" enough, they might pay you a HUGE compliment like "You don't seem like a math person."