Olympics

Orlando

Hi, everyone!

Does anyone watch the Olympics and get very depressed? I watched for the past few days and felt badly. I saw these athletes with awesome strenght and speed. I thought to myself, "How courageous am I compared to them? Could I do what they do in front of a crowd?" Then I thought, "Hey look how handsome the guys are? I'll never look that good." Then I looked at the women, I thought, "Wow, how beautiful are these women? They would never go out with me."

I tell you. SP is difficult...even with things that normal people may enjoy...with the social phobic, it is pure torture.

I hate the "comparison" game (i.e. I'm better than they are). I seem to lose each time!)

arlequin

Hi Orlando,
On tv is very nice to see to the sportpeople: they look so perfect! But you should see them while training. They have such a hard life, they have to give up many things and they all don't get medals. So imagine, so much sacrifice for nothing!!!
If you watch on tv a documentary about people in Africa I suppose you are better than them, they have nothing to eat and no medicines...
What I mean is that we could be better but we could even be worse.

Ice

Yes I do admire their abilities. But I don't want to compare myself with them. They are crazy people who devoted their lives into it. :p

I really like watching the Olympics and it doesn't depress me in the slightest. I do occasionaly think, 'wow, I wish I could win a medal', but then I just remind myself of some of my redeeming talents that many of those guys don't have.

Orlando

Hi, Arlequin, Ice and Noise_Terrorist!

Thanks for replying to the post. I see that I was just silly when I compared myself to the athlete's.......It's like the saying, "Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it."
Well, I know that if I was an athlete I probably have bruises on and bandages wrapped all around my head. I'm pretty sure of this because my head at times gets to be as big a three bowling balls (when I get conceited!) and is prone to being hit by low-flying aircrafts and hunters searching for elephants....and I'm not sure about this, "No pain, no gain thing." Couldn't I use some anesthesics when I'm at the gym...It's just that I'm not afraid of pain....It's just that well pain is so painful!

Orlando

Hi, Arlequin.

I was just thinking that I have a new found respect for the Olympics...not for the people who win the medals but for all the athletes. Yesterday, I was watching the weighlifting games. There was this guy from Iran who lifted approximately 500 pounds. Wow! That's half a ton (but I bet he couldn't lift my butt off the couch when the TV's on! :D ) However, there were other contestants who could not lift that (and knew it)....however, despite that (with that knowledge that they may 'lose') they did their best any way...I noticed that a lot of athlete "failed" in the games.... some tumblers fell on their faces.....some track stars came in 12th or 14th...yet, despite all their hardships they go on....they play the game. They play because of their passion (not because people's adulation)...it for themselves...It's not just to say that they are #1 but to make themselves better people...Ranking means nothing....Heart and spirit means more! That's what I'm getting from the Olympics! :D

Anonymous

joy

I really enjoyed watching the games, since they were last on I became a runner and although I'm nowhere near as fit as them I can start to appreciate just how much hard work they put in and how much it means to win and be the best in the world at the one thing you worked to hard for or how devestating it is to have to miss out becuase of injury and the likes.

It bought a tear to my eyes when I saw some people win, like kelly homes in the 1500, you could see that it meant so much to her and her dreams, that once were only dreams had come true. It's great to see and fills me with inspiration and joy.

Nick.

www.socialanxiety.org.uk

Anonymous

I liked the Olypmics too. I just think of all the altheles have sacraficed and I wish I could be like them.