Okay, I'm getting a little worried

Thelema

So I had this big bowling tournament a couple months ago and for a few weeks before, I was nervous about and that made my hands sweat. I could understand that, but the sweating hasn't gone away, but gotten worse. Now it's really interfering with my day to day activities. It's like a mind trick where I'm nervous and my hands sweat, but even when I'm not nervous, I'm still nervous about my hands sweating...making them sweat.

Is there any way to get it under control? I've read rubbing antiperspirant on my hands might help.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm turning in to a nervous wreck over this and it's just getting worse and worse

cm123

From what it sounds like, you would benefit most from "Propranolol 20mg tablets" Propranlol is the generic name for Inderal / Inderide and is what is known as a beta-blocker.
The are used right before high anxiety situations like bowling tournaments and will calm you down a bit so that you sweat less if at all.

You seem to have a case of "Performance Anxiety"

You can read more about Inderal here:
Beta Blockers and Performance Anxiety

and here:
Excessive Underarm Sweating And Hyperhidrosis Treated With Oral Medicatio

Jezza

Depends a lot on how old you are, what meds your using currently (if any) and how bad the sweating is. Only thing I can tell you right now is mention it to a doc as soon as possible. Who knows, maybe it IS a circle of anxiety--> sweating--> anxiety and it that case you'd better treat it sooner than later. A beta blocker would be a good bet in that case, relatively harmless in low dosage (measure your BP, chances are it's quite high, but if it's low a b-blocker can be a bad idea). A b-blocker isn't addictive like a benzo, which is a big benefit.

If it isn't the anxiety in itself (and I'm quite sure it isn't in most people with full blown HH, which hopefully you don't have) you might check the general thread for all kinds of treatments that may work for you. It's really personal so I can't tell you what will work for you and what won't...but anyway, check everything out now cause you can't rely on it to disappear with time.

ANd keep in mind that I'm no doc but just someone with HH with an interest in the workings of this affliction, which is a good thing and a bad thing, but the b-blocker 10 or 20mg/day is pretty much harmless. I took up to 40mg/day myself but for me it wasn't enough so I quit taking it eventually. But hope you have a better experience, which is entirely possible.

Last edited:

g35

I know what you're talking about, I get that too, especially when I'm about to do an exam or something. Give Iontopheresis a shot, I'm using that right now and it has reduced sweating by 95% so far

Thelema

Thanks so much for the help and suggestions guys.

I think it's some kind of anxiety loop I'm stuck in, like Jezza said. I've had sweaty hands in anxiety situations in the past, but once the anxiety was gone, the sweaty hands went away, but I think since I was having anxiety over the tournament for a few weeks, it made me sweat all the time and develop anxiety about the sweating itself.

I've been doing some research and I've been looking into a homemade treatment YouTube - Re: Cure Sweaty Hands, Palms, Hyperhidrosis, Hyperhydrosis (in fact you can see a question I posted about batteries)

Anyone have any experience with such devices?

cm123

The person who made that video has a thread in this forum with people talking about the device he made. A lot of people have tried it and it works wonders. Personally, I use the Drionic Machine but would like to get a nicer machine eventually.

Thanks so much for the help and suggestions guys.

I think it's some kind of anxiety loop I'm stuck in, like Jezza said. I've had sweaty hands in anxiety situations in the past, but once the anxiety was gone, the sweaty hands went away, but I think since I was having anxiety over the tournament for a few weeks, it made me sweat all the time and develop anxiety about the sweating itself.

I've been doing some research and I've been looking into a homemade treatment YouTube - Re: Cure Sweaty Hands, Palms, Hyperhidrosis, Hyperhydrosis (in fact you can see a question I posted about batteries)

Anyone have any experience with such devices?

Thelema

The person who made that video has a thread in this forum with people talking about the device he made. A lot of people have tried it and it works wonders. Personally, I use the Drionic Machine but would like to get a nicer machine eventually.

Thank you!

I really should have searched this forum before I posted