Oh...fu*k...

Toad

Sorry...that is the only way to describe what just happened to me though. I get home from work, check my email...and what do I see? Oh yay...it's someone volunteering me for a huge presentation...that is to be given in 3 days...AHHHHHH. Well...I'm officially in panic mode now and feel like I'm going to puke. I thought I hated people before tonight, but this one sure takes the cake. Basically this presentation in part of a competition...and it will be judged on everything, and I now get to fuck it up for my school...they really have no idea what they just did by volunteering me.

The part of the presentation that I am now responsible for is a small part...I just basically have to answer questions the judges have after the presentation. Unfortunately, the part I am responsible for will get the most difficult and technical questions...my answers will be judged on how quickly and accurately I was able to respond...wonder if no response gets a lot....because that is what will happen. I know the stuff that they need me to know pretty well, but unfortunately I will go blank when I am standing in front of around 500 people of which 10 are judging me and about 50 others are professionals in what i will be responding to...I don't know what I'm going to do now...there is really no way I can get out of this short of dying since the person who was supposed to do it but now can't is the only other person who has the required knowlege, and with three days to prepare...well...I'm fucked, and now I really hate people.

cLavain

Yeah, it sucks when others make that decision for you. One positive thing about it is that you'll be probably feel euphoric for a few days when you're done! :)

What's the subject?

Septor

Wow that's hard.They had no right to volunteer you like that. :x :x I guess it's best if you try and look at it has a learning experience.Good luck

Toad

The subject is Civil Engineering, more specifically, concrete mixtures. Yeah...I might feel good for a day afterwards, but if I screw up I will be regretting that for years to come...and feeling good for a day is not worth that. This is the one "social" thing I do in college, and I get thrown into this...why do I even try.

IanM

yea that is very harsh, i wouldnt be pleased if i were u, cant u say u already made plans for that day or something. bring on the excuses....

Toad

IanM said:
cant u say u already made plans for that day or something. bring on the excuses....

Heh...no...unfortunately I can't really back out of it...this competition is like a four day thing and we had to sign up for it a couple months ago...it's a really big competition...me backing out would probably cost me. I did reply with the best set of excuses I had short of saying I have sp....which would probably get the job done, but I don't exactly want that public knowledge. The reply I got from my email of excuses (although...they weren't really excuses since every one of them was true) wasn't very promising...looks like I'm stuck with doing this...maybe I'll puke on the person who volunteered me while he is presenting...that would keep him from doing this again.

Chilling__Echo

hey sweetie, just keep in mind, maybe you were volunteered for a reason? maybe they see you as being a good candidate to handle it well? you can do it :D

black_mamba

Toad said:
Oh yay...it's someone volunteering me for a huge presentation...that is to be given in 3 days...AHHHHHH.

Look, you've been volunteered and its part of a competition i.e. non-compulsory. There is NO way anyone can force you into this.

Normally I would say f*ck it: you're a smart guy, with a bit of practice in front of some class mates you'd be brilliant. But trying to get ready in 3 days is going to aggravate your anxiety too much. I recently did a group presentation with only 1 days worth of practice, but I could only do that because I'd done another [harder] presentation a month before and had some beta-blockers to hand. If your mind isn't up to it, don't do it.

Or....how about asking someone to help you, as back up in case you get stuck or can't answer a question? Maybe thats a better option than backing out all together? Being up there with a few others will definitely feel more relaxed!

Let me know.

dzerklis

maybe try to use rational thoughts, like 'everybody else will be freaked out just like me, so what. it wont be a life and death experience. nobody will ever remember this presentation after 5min' etc those help me a lot.

Toad

black_mamba said:
Or....how about asking someone to help you, as back up in case you get stuck or can't answer a question? Maybe thats a better option than backing out all together? Being up there with a few others will definitely feel more relaxed!

Yeah...I will be up there with two others, but unfortunately I am the only person with the knowledge to answer the questions regarding the concrete mix...so if I freeze up, no one will save me. I've tried to back out of this, and will keep trying, but I don't think I will get out of it...anyways...I'm off to my doom now (gotta go to the competition site early for the other "events"...the ones im actually interested in)

Cork_Tree

dzerklis said:
maybe try to use rational thoughts, like 'everybody else will be freaked out just like me, so what. it wont be a life and death experience. nobody will ever remember this presentation after 5min' etc those help me a lot.

I agree, What's the worst thing that could happen, and as others have said before you can take comfort in the fact you had other peoples bleesings.

P.S. I am not offended at all by swearing but I thought it was very sweet of you to block out the C :D I probably wouldn't have.

corrinaelizabeth

i think ul feel achievement afterwards even if u do make a few mistakes,at least uve given it a go,u know what they say to help conquer sp 2 keep doing the things you dread crap advice i know and its so hard to do,but if you even manage to turn up for the day i think uve donr exceptionally well and you should feel proud off urself!
good luck 4 the day and keep thinkin positively
:lol:

black_mamba

Toad said:
black_mamba said:

Yeah...I will be up there with two others, but unfortunately I am the only person with the knowledge to answer the questions regarding the concrete mix...so if I freeze up, no one will save me. I've tried to back out of this, and will keep trying, but I don't think I will get out of it...anyways...I'm off to my doom now (gotta go to the competition site early for the other "events"...the ones im actually interested in)

Do you have any medication for one-off events like these? Although, its a bit late for that now. 8O Give me more notice next time and I'll mail you over a big sack load of 'em. :) (Am I kidding? I'm not sure!)

Toad

Well, I'm back and survived it...barely. It pretty much went how I figured it would...before the presentation I felt sick and my heart was racing...all the worst case scenarios played through my head...the usual.

When it came time for the questions I was pretty calm, but after I had been talking and answering questions for a couple of minutes I began shaking...like usual. Of course about 7 of the 10 questions were directed at my field of "expertise", so I had to do most of the answering. Every time I talk in presentations I start shaking...it's so damn annoying, I don't really even feel that nervous all the time.

My answers to the questions were ok...there was one that I froze up on because I didn't expect it at all and had no idea what the answer was so I just made some shit up, and one other that I didn't like my answer to. Whatever...it's over now and I don't have to think about it until I'm forced into it again next year...I'll be looking for those meds then black_mamba :p.