Office Activities: How do you feel about them? Do you avoid them?

lithiumflower

I'm hoping to hear some of your opinions and/or experiences with this…

I work as a data processor. At my job I can wear jeans and a hoodie, listen to my iPod and pretty much be left alone most of the time. Suffering from social anxiety, avpd and depression, this works out pretty good for me.

However there's the issue of office parties and get togethers, happy hour (I don't drink), secret santa, etc. You see, I have no interest in office activities for many reasons -- not just my anxiety issues. Bluntly, I don't want to have anything to do with my coworkers outside of the job. There are quite a few of them that I like (our department is broken into teams), but even at that, I like to leave work at work. Also, I'm a homebody and a loner.

There's a reorganization move going on in the company and this other department we are merging with do lots of happy hour things, bowling, etc. In this company people seem to turn up their noses and gossip at/about people that don't jump up with excitement and participate in every event.

So I was wondering how you all feel about company activities and dealing with office parties and the like. For those of you that avoid them, how do you go back doing so? Do you feel like you always have to come up with an excuse not to participate?

For the past five years I've scheduled off ahead of time before their office holiday party. I've done the same this year as well. Though I'll probably still have to avoid another party with the groups combining.

Niceguy23

Wow sounds like a job I would be interested in. Im just like you. If I worked or even when I was In school I went to school and that was it I didnt participate in afterschool activities when I was invited places I did not go. I would avoid them all and if I ever did try and push myself I just didnt like the experience at all. I actually enjoy being home and by myself.

Last edited:

tizzy

My workplace department is full of inappropriate behavior and I will not socialize with the back stabbers and two faced staff. I used to schedule off work during the Christmas hoopla. But as I grow older, I find myself getting bolder about speaking out. Last Christmas when asked, I said, (just in a normal voice/attitude, "I won't be participating in the gift exchange or pitch in meal".... and I walked away.
I am soooo thankful I have a small office to myself and can close the door and turn up my radio.
This year, the same thing. There are just some things I will not put myself through.
Screw those people.

Niceguy23

My workplace department is full of inappropriate behavior and I will not socialize with the back stabbers and two faced staff. I used to schedule off work during the Christmas hoopla. But as I grow older, I find myself getting bolder about speaking out. Last Christmas when asked, I said, (just in a normal voice/attitude, "I won't be participating in the gift exchange or pitch in meal".... and I walked away.
I am soooo thankful I have a small office to myself and can close the door and turn up my radio.
This year, the same thing. There are just some things I will not put myself through.
Screw those people.

Thats is another thing about people I dont like. I dont like when I try to get involved with people and all they do is talk about other people and gossip and makes me dislike people more and discourages me from trying to be social

tizzy

Thats is another thing about people I dont like. I dont like when I try to get involved with people and all they do is talk about other people and gossip and makes me dislike people more and discourages me from trying to be social

Exactly! me too!

lithiumflower

Screw those people.

There's a lot of office politics games that get played in my office. That's another reason I tend to avoid most people in the department unless I absolutely have to deal with them.