ocd petpeeve

meme

so, ive been opening up about my ocd lately for the first time, not easy but doable.

What annoys me is when i say "i have ocd" the common response is: "o yeah, me too, i clean a lot...im so anal about that"

grrrrr.... i hate feeling like an issue that is hard for me is being trivialized.

Musicocd

I'm exactly the same! When I told my flatmate about my ocd she said 'yeah I'm ocd about power switches, I turn them off'. I just wanted to shout..'Yeah but you don't spend 5 hours a day turning them off do you!'. I think because I hide my ocd people don't realise how much I, and others with ocd, actually suffer.

Windy74

I am so "in control" on the outside. No one can believe how insecure and out of control I am on the inside.

People like to rationalize my issues for me, like I don't know they are irrational. I just haven't been able to keep them in check for myself, yet.... Some obsessions I am able to manage, many I am still working on.

Good luck to you.

ChristmasElf

Grrrr

I hate it when u mention to someone u think u can trust about your OCD and they say 'Thats not ocd thats just being anal".... :evil: :twisted:

Infected_Malignity

Windy74 said:
I am so "in control" on the outside. No one can believe how insecure and out of control I am on the inside.

People like to rationalize my issues for me, like I don't know they are irrational. I just haven't been able to keep them in check for myself, yet.... Some obsessions I am able to manage, many I am still working on.

Good luck to you.

Everyone in this thread: take this for example. What if, when you tell someone you have OCD and they say they have the same condition, they're just hiding it like you are? think about it. It's more common than you think.

Infected_Malignity said:
Everyone in this thread: take this for example. What if, when you tell someone you have OCD and they say they have the same condition, they're just hiding it like you are? think about it. It's more common than you think.

If they're hiding it, why would they say they have it and then give an example that's not OCD?

Infected_Malignity

EtherealCreature said:
Infected_Malignity said:

If they're hiding it, why would they say they have it and then give an example that's not OCD?

What are you talking about? Give me an example to go by here. Technically, OCD's can range from counting stairs, to flicking lightswitches, to obsessive cleaning, to shitting on a cat for all I care. An OCD is an OCD. A lot of people have this condition, some are just worse off than others.

Oh yeah, and when I had OCD (a few years ago) I was VERY good at hiding it. Nobody ever knew. My parents eventually found out, but I had to say something first. Considering this very OCD kept me up at night and unable to focus during the day, I'd say it's highly possible that more people have OCD than you'd think.

Infected_Malignity said:
EtherealCreature said:
Infected_Malignity said:

What are you talking about? Give me an example to go by here.

An example? I'm talking about what you said. You said if someone else told you that they have OCD too, they might just be hiding it which doesn't make sense because if they're hiding it, why would they tell you? The OP was talking about others trivializing OCD by saying stuff like
meme said:
"o yeah, me too, i clean a lot...im so anal about that"

You know what, this is getting too hard to explain. If you don't get it, you don't get it. I'm very literal minded so I may just not understand you. I know what OCD is. I have OCD. I'm aware lots of other people have OCD. But I do relate to what the OP said about others making comments about OCD that don't really have much to do with OCD being annoying. And I don't think people who make comments like that secretly have OCD.

Musicocd

ARGH You can't 'have AN ocd' you can 'have ocd'. That's as bad as saying 'I'm ocd'. No you're not, you 'HAVE ocd' it's a thing you have not are.
sorry, but this really annoys me.

mhx

MeMe
I'm glad you posted that - I totally get what your talking about. I guy I work with once tried to tell me he has OCD because of his morning ritual to turn off his outside light before leaving for work in the morning. So I asked him, if he were to get to the end of his street and realize he forgot to turn off the light, would he need to go back. He quickly answered "no". And I gave him the benefit of the doubt by saying the end of the street, when we know the real question would have been "would he go home after getting to work which was over an hour a way?"
That's the perfect example of people trivializing their normal routines with that "pesky OCD thing".

Thanks for the laugh!