Obssesing about getting cancer.

Mikeyp986

Let me introduce myself. My names mike im 15 and i suffer from OCD and Anxiety.

Ok well here it goes. About 9 or 10 months from January i started to used dip (chewing tobacco) with my friends. I never actually bought my own tin but i did buy 2 pouches of red man tobacco that i split with my friend. One of my friends who is addicted to it does it like everyday and i usually hangout with him like every weekend so i do it 2 or 3 times a week and during golf season i did it almost every day. Around january i quit for ever because i freaked out about getting cacner. Now im freaked out till this day.

Has any one in here done dip as a sohphmore in highschool like i did.

Is there any way i can get cancer.

random

Hello,
I was reading your post and it reminded me of something a baseball player said. He and his team mates all used dip during baseball games. His dentist noticed a white lesion (like a blister but not painful) in his mouth so he had it checked out by his physician. His physician told him it was a precancerous lesion and advised him to stop the tobacco. The baseball player stopped and the lesion went away. So then he and his team mates switched to bubble gum. They switched to avoid the long term risk of developing mouth cancer and they did it because they were aware of the fact that little kids looked up to them and they wanted to set a good example.
So if you are asking if you can develop cancer from what you have already used - I don't believe so (I'm not a doctor - I do alot of reading and I haven't read of anyone getting bone, blood cancer that sort of thing this way). But I would say that I have read that using dip can result in mouth cancer and so I am hoping you will stop and try to avoid that really really grueling addiction to tobacco that so many people fight.

lilmissocd

Hi Mikey,

I freak out about the same sort of things! as long as you stopped, I promise you, you will be okay...just dont do it again! Just because you have stopped, your risk has gone down...like smoking...once you quit, your chances go down by 40%, but if you do it for years and years...outlook not so good. You might want to tell your friends about that baseball player though, so they can choose whats best for them too!

Take care and dont worry about it anymore!

Sarah :p

mienaino

If you get it, give it to me.
You see, I have quite the opposite compulsion, the compulsion to die (relatively) young.
Anyway, life is temporary, death happens to everyone and it's usually drawn out and painful, unless there's a war on, or some other quick and easy way to innocently die, so if cancer is what's in your shotglass, then drink up and enjoy it for what it is.

SocialRetahd

mienaino said:
If you get it, give it to me.
You see, I have quite the opposite compulsion, the compulsion to die (relatively) young.
Anyway, life is temporary, death happens to everyone and it's usually drawn out and painful, unless there's a war on, or some other quick and easy way to innocently die, so if cancer is what's in your shotglass, then drink up and enjoy it for what it is.

If someone put a gun to your head you'd change your tune in a hearbeat. When you are faced with a life or death situation, all the feelings of wanting to die, jump right out the window.

mienaino

SocialRetahd said:
If someone put a gun to your head you'd change your tune in a hearbeat. When you are faced with a life or death situation, all the feelings of wanting to die, jump right out the window.

I'm not that easy to predict. And anyway, I've been in life or death situations (very real ones) and had no intention of living, but the situations were out of my control and it seems Fate didn't pluck the vibrating strings. Suicide, as always, is not an valid option, and don't even try telling me that indirect methods are still suicide, I'm way too legalistic for that.
If someone put a gun to my head, I would probably spite him out of the mere insult of thinking that I can be intimidated, or manipulated with only my own life at stake. Life, particularly my own, is neither sacred nor important to me.

SocialRetahd

Well, I guess everyone is different. I dunno, the fear of the unknown always gets to me in those situations.

mienaino

SocialRetahd said:
Well, I guess everyone is different. I dunno, the fear of the unknown always gets to me in those situations.

It's a fight or flight response. Normally people fight the battles they think they can win; I fight the losing battles. Mine is a self-destructive behaviour, I think.
By the by, this thread is spinning off on discourse. My apologies.