Obsessing about someone else - anyone else having this?

maria123

So hi, I've had OCD since childhood, diagnosed about 10 years ago. I've had it all. Obsessing about numbers, checking doors and heaters, symmetry-things, obsessive thougth abot being lesbian/pedophil/or some other monster. You name it, I've had it.

In real life people say I'm a caring and nice woman, now 36 years. Not working anymore because of OCD and also bipolar disorder, which was diagnosed 2,5 years ago when I was hospitalized for 3 weeks.

So over a year ago my partner (we've been together for 4 years now) used too much alcohol, every day and really much. It had slipped into that slowly after his cat died. Before he used alcohol but it wasnt such a problem.

So we talked about and argued and (verbally) fighted and he promised to be without alcohol for a year and after that use only small amounts. And so he did. He didn't drink at all for a year and now he has used normal amounts of alcohol, only weekends, like less than 10 small bottlers of beer in a week and there really is no problem really. So he has done what he promised.

The only thing is that I've started obsessing that he will become an alcoholic even though there is really nothing to suggest that. He is a nice man, for ex he has never been abusive in any way, he is faithfull and kind. We don'r even argue often.

But I obsess about this, I just think all the time in my head that what if...
It's just like with every other obsessive thought that I've had, it just keep coming back again and again and I can't force it completely out.

It's just I've used to all the other s*t there is but this is the first time I obsess about someone else than myself. And I have not yet found anything to deal with obsessions like this. I go to therapy once a week, but my therapist is not specialized in OCD so she just does not know how to help me. And I live in a small town and there is no other therapist to turn to at least I don't know anyone else.

So if there is anyone here who has obsessed about someone else in this way or similar to this situation it would really help me to hear that I am not alone in this world with this kind of obsession.

And any suggestions on how to get over this is really wellcome.

Because my OCD tells me that this is not an obsession, it is real an d at the same time my "healty " part of brain tells me this is obsession and I just should deal with it like all the other obsessions I've had.

mmmm

Well done for organising your brain so well. You seem well aware of the difference between the OCD voice and the Reason voice. That's half the battle right there. This guy sounds more or less decent. Make mental notes about how you see him behaving with your own eyes. Then use those notes as ammo against your OCD. I know this is easier said than done. And try to remember that you have no responsibility for how this man behaves, so obsessing about him becoming an alcoholic will have no bearing on whether or not he becomes one. I know you know all this already but sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else.

maria123

Thanks for encouragement :)

I'm reading it now over and over again and trying to let it sink in. That it a good idea, that I am not responsible of what happens to him, it kinda helps. Because whenever I obsess I all the time have a thought that there is something that I should do more or something that I fail to do and so all the bad things happen. It's the same with every obsession of mine. I

I did read somewhere recently that there has been a brains study in which the parts of brains that are responsible for acting to any situation are the onces that are overactive when a person obsesses. It's like brains are continuously giving impulses that there is something wrong and that one should to something to stop bad things to happen.

But it's just so d*n hard sometimes. Last week I told my therapist that it's just like I have to tell part of my brain that what it is thinking is complete nonsense and after 5 minutes I have to the same again. Anyone know what I mean?

maria123

Oh my

I did the mistake of posting my obsession to a discussion forum which I regularly use, just a regular discussion forum with nothing to do with OCD. And I now got a reply that someone thinks it likely that my partner would start drinking again.

And you might guess what happened then?

Anxiety over the subject doubled or tripled and I really feel like I can't breach normally and that my chest is tied with a iron cord ::(:

And my brains go on and on about the thing, that my partner would start drinking again.

There were also reassuring replies, which of course my brains discard immediately and only concentrate on the pessimistic views.

Oh my, I have therapy tomorrow, just have to hold myself somehow functional now. I should do many things today but I just feel so awful that I can bearly be and write this.

Anyway, thankful there is thia forum to write this, it helps a bit as I'm writing now.

mmmm

If someone posted on a discussion forum that you were going to grow horns, would you worry about it? Ignore the trolls. They have no magic powers over your situation.

MichaelW

Yes, it's hard knowing difference between valid concern and OCD - in some ways OCD is a strength for me. (Mild) OCD tendencies do have some survival advantages for the human organism, I feel.

I check and re-check facts to point I have thorough knowledge of many things. Eg, I have to look things up - after I've looked it up once I wonder how such and such was spelled - then I'm forced to look up same topic AGAIN AND AGAIN etc. I also worry about things being turned off and locked. But this has meant I've never been burgled or left heater on - well I left heater on once all day like 15 years ago.

I just wish I could ratchet down these tendencies. (In your case, I of course, don't know if its nagging valid concern or unhealthy OCD pathology your experiencing re your partner. )

maria123

Yes, that's the thing, it is really hard to know which is valid and which is OCD. That is the trouble in this case too.

The thing is that we have decided to try to have kids. And as I am 36 now, it's like now or never.

So that makes it even harder. Neither of my parents used alcohol when I was a child or they used it so little that I didn't notice. We did have other huge problems so not using alcohol doesn't mean a happy home I'm afraid. But I wouldn's want to burden any possible kids with alcohol-related problems.

bigcat1967

This helps for me - I'm not preaching to anyone here - but I am obsessing over this one person at work - I'm afraid we'll get into a fight or something.

Well - I am just constantly reading the Bible and thinking about the verses within it - it is helping keep my mind of this crazy stuff I've been thinking about...