Observation: Social Phobes are a lot like Parents/"Old" People who Hate Technology

Anubis

Observation: Social Phobes are a lot like Parents/"Old" People who Hate Technology

(This is done semi-"tongue in cheek", lol, but I thought these were interesting parallels, especially since a lot of us have parents who can't stand technology).

It seems that no matter how many times I show my parents how to deal with their technology (and despite the fact that my dad has a PhD, and my mom works in business), they are constantly befuddled by even the most basic technology problems. I'm talking about problems that could easily be solved by an open-minded 5 minute exploration of Windows one day (like how to change your wallpaper, lol). Certainly, some of their problems are a lot more complex than that, but it always feel like going against a brick-wall when explaining things to my parents. I'm constantly repeating basic information and worse yet, they have a tendency to get easily confused and angered if I go too fast.

Normally this pisses me off, but lately, I've been becoming more sympathetic to the plight of my parents. Why? Because after analyzing the way I approach social interaction, it seems like me and my parents share a lot more similarities than I'd like to admit:

"Old" People and Technology:
- Extremely Uncomfortable with Change
- Can't Do Anything Without Step-By-Step Support
- Easily Angered when Confused - Leads to Avoidance of Technology when otherwise would be beneficial.
- Seem to Lack Foundational Knowledge of Technology Despite having Constant and Direct Exposure to it in their Professional Career.
- Refuse to "just practice" using their Computer with an open-minded approach (Constantly citing excuses: Don't have time, Can't do it, Don't know where to start).

Social Phobes and Social Interaction:
- Can't Go Anywhere Without the Closest of Friends
- Easily Angered when Confused - Leads to Avoidance of Social Interaction when otherwise would be beneficial.
- Seem to Lack Foundational Knowledge of Social Interaction Despite having Constant and Direct Exposure to it in their Lives.
- Refuse to "just explore" social environments with an open-minded approach (Constantly citing excuses: Don't have time, Can't do it, Don't know where to start).

This is probably a big "duh", i.e. phobias are intrinsically very similar, but still, I just thought it was interesting to note the similarities between a group of people that are traditionally seen at odds with each other.

Lost Girl

Re: Observation: Social Phobes are a lot like Parents/"Old" People who Hate Technolo

Haha. I like it. Very clever. :D

Silvox Black

Re: Observation: Social Phobes are a lot like Parents/"Old" People who Hate Technolo

You are correct, but there is one key idea that should be kept in mind here. Many times the ignorance of the parent contributes to the depression and social anxiety many of us feel.

Noca

Banned

I love the comparison!

slicknsly

lol. true and cool

da_illest101

now i'm scared, what's gonna happend to us when we are gonna be old, since we are already acting like old ppl .....

Silvox Black

now i'm scared, what's gonna happend to us when we are gonna be old, since we are already acting like old ppl .....

This is where I would hope we will all be able to give our best effort to be better than our parents. Strive to be something higher and stronger than the failures of our parents. We can only try for we are only human.

caissa825

Oh that is great! Love it! I do feel like a doddering old lady when it comes to socializing. :)

Mikefly

(This is done semi-"tongue in cheek", lol, but I thought these were interesting parallels, especially since a lot of us have parents who can't stand technology).

It seems that no matter how many times I show my parents how to deal with their technology (and despite the fact that my dad has a PhD, and my mom works in business), they are constantly befuddled by even the most basic technology problems. I'm talking about problems that could easily be solved by an open-minded 5 minute exploration of Windows one day (like how to change your wallpaper, lol). Certainly, some of their problems are a lot more complex than that, but it always feel like going against a brick-wall when explaining things to my parents. I'm constantly repeating basic information and worse yet, they have a tendency to get easily confused and angered if I go too fast.

Normally this pisses me off, but lately, I've been becoming more sympathetic to the plight of my parents. Why? Because after analyzing the way I approach social interaction, it seems like me and my parents share a lot more similarities than I'd like to admit:

"Old" People and Technology:
- Can't Do Anything Without Step-By-Step Support
- Easily Angered when Confused - Leads to Avoidance of Technology when otherwise would be beneficial.
- Seem to Lack Foundational Knowledge of Technology Despite having Constant and Direct Exposure to it in their Professional Career.
- Refuse to "just practice" using their Computer with an open-minded approach (Constantly citing excuses: Don't have time, Can't do it, Don't know where to start).

Social Phobes and Social Interaction:
- Can't Go Anywhere Without the Closest of Friends
- Easily Angered when Confused - Leads to Avoidance of Social Interaction when otherwise would be beneficial.
- Seem to Lack Foundational Knowledge of Social Interaction Despite having Constant and Direct Exposure to it in their Lives.
- Refuse to "just explore" social environments with an open-minded approach (Constantly citing excuses: Don't have time, Can't do it, Don't know where to start).

This is probably a big "duh", i.e. phobias are intrinsically very similar, but still, I just thought it was interesting to note the similarities between a group of people that are traditionally seen at odds with each other.

This sounds like my Dad although my mom is very accepting of technology.

Helyna

Hahaha.:D:D

da_illest101

This is where I would hope we will all be able to give our best effort to be better than our parents. Strive to be something higher and stronger than the failures of our parents. We can only try for we are only human.

well my parents aren't failures so that really sucks for me, so far i haven't live up to their expectations and don't think i ever will::(: