Not sure the Psychologist understands my problem

Shyguest

Hi

I've been seeing a psychologist regularly since August of last year after the doctor referred me to her. There was a long waiting list and I eventually started therapy.

Anyway, I told her my story about social anxiety and how it affects me on a daily basis. I specificially told her that I find it difficult to go out of the house in the daytime and I stay indoors even during the warm weather and how that gets me down because I would like to be able to go outside and enjoy the sunshine. She knows that I only go out of the house once a week and I've told her that I don't feel confident enough to come back until it's dark because I don't feel comfortable at the thought of seeing someone.

To get to the point, when I went to see her last week, the first thing she asked me was how I had been enjoying the nice weather outside? I thought 'how can she be asking me this when I've told her about me staying indoors even when the sun is out'. Hadn't what I told her yet registered with her?

I really am feeling angry about this and also the fact that she tends to contradict things. I really want to tell her how I feel about this as it's getting me very depressed. This is because she keeps telling me that she cares and that I can rely on her. Yet, she doesn't follow through with a lot of things she says she's going to be doing. She really gave me a lot of hope that she could set a plan of action that we could go through.

What should I do? I hope you don't think I'm complaining but I've been to see several counsellors and this is the second psychologist I'm seeing. I hope someone can relate to what I'm experiencing?

Last edited:
It would be very easy for her to forget details between visits, she would be seeing many clients each day and may not have a terrific memory or be super organised with note taking and reading. I can recall being annoyed with a hairdresser who would ask me the same set of questions each time I visited. If its not working well with her then maybe say what you're thinking or find another psych. You're the customer so you can expect a good level of service :)

Shyguest

This is not a simple detail though because social anxiety and being unable to go outside because of fear of criticism is something that is ruling my life. I go to see her about social anxiety, what sort of information should she be aware of about me from week to week? I've been going to see her about this issue since August of last year. Surely someone can relate to what I'm talking about.