Newbie - noise anxiety and other things - help?!

deb

the problem is that we do eat with our mouths closed and as quietly as possible but if there is something crunchy that you can still hear then the problem with my son's hearing this escalates and i was just wondering whether any of you have actually found a solution. thanks

redconvoy

Geeze! I think then everything bothers him. It has to be something more deep rooted than your family chewing on crunchy stuff. I can't see how that's annoying. Could he chew silently on something that is crunchy??? If he is, he needs to tell the rest of us how.

I apologize if I was a bit rash, but I find people who eat with their mouths opened make me lose my appetite real fast. I learned that lesson when I was a kid from some one else's mother and my own family never learned that lesson from my grandparents down to my sister.

gggg

hi. it's a relief to know i'm not the only one suffering from this, but does anyone know of a cure? i'm at the end of my tether.

ucdom

I have to admit, this thread is quite satisfyingly funny, inasmuch that I feel less like a totallymisanthropic freak for hating the same things.

When I lived at home in my 20s I actually wanted to punch my Dad's face to a bloody pulp purely because he made the most frustrating noise when he ate, banging his teeth together.

These days I'm forced to travel by train a lot, and my god it drives me insane. There are times when I want to get up and scream at everyone to SHUT THE F*** UP, or keep still, stop fidgeting, and so so.

And I've been made physically sick by the sound of people's TVs or stereos through walls, forcing me to move. Worse, because I simply can't ask for it to be turned down..

The world these days is so noisy, which doesn't help.

creativegenius

noise

i can agree with many of you. The noise that bothers me most is a group of people talking loudly in public. They get on my nerves! It's like they have no consideration for others. I want to move or leave immediately. I want to run away. I have considered getting ear plugs or something. I did see a movie tonight that I think all should view. It's starring Tim Robbins about a man fed up with noise, and especially car alarms. It was a great movie that had me cheering, quietly of course. It's called NOISE!

yulee

hmm this topic gets me thinking of the sound the trains make, i get very anxious of hearing it and the sound of the vacuum cleaner. Has anybody got the same?

Sheils

This is a really interesting thread - especially as so many people seem to be affected.

I have to say the only noise that really irritates me is hearing the sound of Tv or music through a wall.

Fortunately, I now live in a detached house so it is no longer an issue however in previous houses it used to really affect me especially if I was trying to sleep.

I would start to shake and have a really sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Strangely, it would also cause me to have to visit the loo constantly, I think it was the nerves and anxiety but it was no fun when I was trying to get to sleep.

It only happened though if the noise was coming from another house. So if it was my partner downstairs with the TV on it was fine - in fact he could have it as loud as he wanted.

In other words, if I knew I was able to put a stop to the noise at any time, it didn't bother me.

So I realised, it wasn't the noise itself but the lack of control.

Kristine

I have the exact problem, and like everyone else, am so glad to hear I'm not the only one! I get very annoyed with random people in public, but it affects people whom I am closest with the most. I get so annoyed/frustrated with my mom, certain friends, and my husband. My husband clears his throat and coughs CONSTANTLY!!! It drives me nuts. We have an amazing marriage, besides my "noise problem." I need to get help, because I feel like its ruining my marriage.

I get so aggrivated with him, I cant stand being locked in a car with him or being in the same room sometimes. Like right now, he won't stop coughing and biting his lip (which makes a loud lip smacking noise) so I'm in our bedroom with a fan on in the background to try and block out the noises. It's awful. When this happens, my stomach gets tied in knots and I feel like I want to scream and punch something.

For years, I would always try to "blame" whoever was making a noise and tell them to stop or say "why do you eat so loud?" I would make the ones I love feel like they are worthless and like they are doing something wrong, where its my fault. The same things have happened to me when I had to work in an "office setting." The people around me would drive me crazy with chewing, paper, tapping, coughing, sniffing, etc. Sometimes, I just stare at people and give them a look of disgust, because I'm so annoyed and I don't know what else to do to make them stop.

I feel like I am trapped and living in a cave and can't get out. I travel a lot for my job, so am frequently on air planes. If I am walking to my seat and see that there is someone chewing their gum loud behind me or just "loud" in general, i will try to change my seat. So yes, you could say that all of this causes anxiety, because I am constantly thinking of it.

I find that going on walks or being in my house alone helps and gives me a boost for the day. But I need to get help or find a cure, because I'm sick of feeling this way and constantly having it on my mind. My husband says I just need to stop thinking about it and "change my thoughts." I wish it were that easy, and I'm a very strong person, but I've struggled from this for almost 20 years now and it keeps getting worse.

I'm going to enroll myself in counseling and PRAY a lot! I know God will heal me from this. Its just nice to know that I'm not the only crazy one with this problem. We shouldn't have to live like this. :)
I think another problem is....is that I dwell on noises. I'm always "waiting" for my husband to clear his throat or cough, instead of trying to ignore it.
Do other people get sick to their stomachs and want to punch things?

me23xx

1) any repetative noise (monotone or otherwise)
2) the sound of people biting or picking at their nails (sound and movement)
3) people eating with their mouth open
4) clunking jaws when people eat
5) people gulping coffee loudly
6) high pitched noise
7) hearing televisions through walls (ie next door neighbours' tv's on loud so you can hear it but muffled)
8) people playing with pens in meetings
9) people chewing gum (with or without mouth shut)
10) the cat cleaning itself and any animal making 'chapping' noises.
11) clicking fingers
12) repeated coughing and sniffling
13) heavy breathing / snoring
14) people twiddling a piece of their hair repetatively.
15) coleague at work hacking up flem - sounds like she needs to hack up a furball like cats do!
16) repetative tapping

OMG thats me!!!!!!!!!!!! my doctor wont believe me, my family think im nuts, i have lost friends because i cannot stand to have them eat around me, chewing gum makes me phsyically sick, there are no clocks in my house i dont sleep because i can hear noises from next door!!!! and as i speak im giving someone evils for crunching on a biscuit to loudly!!

Oh and also.... why do people look at me as though im being unreasonable when i ask them NOT TO BREATH SO LOUDLY........... arghhhhhhhhhhhh drives me mad!!

lucyloo

I have the exact same problem, Im 25 and Ive lived in fear of hearing and seeing people eat. Its got so bad that I get angry with myself if I make the slightest noise while eating or gulp too loud. I find myself staring at someone and giving them filthy looks if they eat noisily. If someone talks to me while eating I get angry with them and start being mean to them.

I thought I was the only one with this problem!

If someone eats or drinks near me, my ears instantly prick up and I cant stop listening to every single noise they make, its driving me crazy! If they make noise then I get so angry, sometimes I start copying them just to annoy them and I cant stop myself. Its horrible!!!

When I lived at home with my mum and sisters, they were too scared to eat around me because of my problem. My mum got so nervous that she would eat in another room away from me. As I think about this it makes me so sad that Im inflicting my stupid phobia on everyone I love.
My partner of 5 years gets very annoyed with me over this, he makes alot of loud breathing noises through the nose when he eats and I get angry with him and I cant stop myself. He also chams and looks like a cow when he eats, Discusting!!

A couple of years ago I saw a hypnotist to see if they could help me, I had 5 sessions with her but it didnt help me at all. I couldnt afford to carry it on so had to stop.
So for a while Ive been trying to find info on Paul McKenna to see if he could help but as hes in America at the moment and Im in England so its not really going to work. So now I really dont know what to do.

Ive upset alot of people over this, I get so angry and tense if I know someone is going to eat near me. I want to punch them, my heart starts thumping, my stomach is in knots, I even start shaking if there making alot of noise. Usually I make an exuse for why I have to leave the room.
I HATE seeing and hearing people chewing gum, it makes me very angry. If I see the manager of Manchester United chewing gum on the tv then I always shout at the telly and tell him to shut up.

Its not just food noise that annoys me. I get angry with my partner over the way he sneezes because it sounds like hes coughing. If he bites his nails, clicks his fingers and toes. Uses his inhaler cuz of the annoying breathing in noise. :evil:

Actually, I think every noise people make annoy me. For instance- breathing noises, holding breath, I hate people who hiccup, sneezing, coughing, sniffing, swallowing.
I even hate certain words associated with it that I feel angry if people say them. My sister says 'would you like a tea?' it annoys me so much, why cant she just say 'would you like a cup of tea?' God I must sound like a complete loon!!
My partner tells me I have OCD but I dont know, mostly cuz Im obsessed with wanting things tidy and in place. If anythings out of place like an ornament moved slightly it makes me very annoyed.
He also eats with his knife and fork in the wrong hand and it makes me very tense watching him eat like that. Its awful!

Oh my god!! The cat also annoys me alot. She is constantly licking and she jumps on me for a cuddle then starts licking her bits. I end up telling her off and I get so annoyed. The dog makes constant slobbering noise too and I just cant stand it anymore.

Im so glad that Im not the only person like this. Im always made to feel like Im an idiot, a freak. Im also told that Im being selfish!
I cant help it if I cant stop myself, this is a genuine fear!!! :(
I need help!!

A

anon1116

I feel as you do. Everything you describe is me! I have dealt with this a long time-since grammer school. Let me know what kind of help you have found.

A

anon1116

Does anyone have a solution to this? I started taking Zoloft to try and resolve some of this, but it does not seem to work. I too was thinking it was an OCD type of behavior. What else is there to do?

H

HHy

Hi there all noise haters!
How funny, I am sat here in Australia reading all of your posts and laughing with relief as I also am a massive noise hater. Eating noises don't bug me so much although I remember they did when I was little, I think maybe this is a control thing then as you can't be boss of your parents. But yeah Dad used to drive me crazy with his clearing of throat and my Mam used to pause before she breathed out, I used to tell my friends to 'stop breathing' when they slept over! The neighbours barking dogs was also a thing that drove me crazy but most of all it was the TV muffled noise through the walls and dad's snoring!! Dad got so mad at me that he brought home some earplugs when I was aged 14 and I have been unable to sleep without them for the past 20 years. Well I can actually when I fall asleep in front of the TV (loud) or when I am having an afternoon nap and it doesn't matter if I fall asleep or not. But if I have a big day the next day I kick my husband out of bed just in case he wakes me up -what a mole!

Anyway, I went for some hypnotherapy too as I found it was the ANTICIPATION of the noise that made the worst anxiety, so my adrenalin was going crazy even when it was bloomin quiet!! It did help a bit, it was general stress and anxiety hypno. I now do yoga, have massage, and am a generally deep and spiritual person and I have found that some of the noises don't bug me as much. Eg school noises, traffic is fine, office noises even ok now.

However - it is my neighbours! Sometimes they play bassy music and I JUST HATE IT, I can tolerate their dogs (every neighbour in aus has dogs) as I know they do shout to it to shut up, and some just bark when people pass - ok this is acceptable. But why do they play bass so loud and why outside? I hate the aussie living outside thing, they think it totally reasonable to have big 21st parties etc and have music absolutely cranking til midnight and longer! I have to go away for the weekend when this happens. The neighbours hate us as we are always round complaining, even though to their credit they always apologise and turn it down and oblige.

My main worry now is the anxiety, will they have a party this weekend kind of worry. Weekends are worse, I do love it when they all pi$s off back to work on a Monday. I have looked into living in the country but can't afford it and need to deal with it here.

I am having another baby in Feb and with my son I had a gorgeous homebirth, I want the same but as it will be in summer here I am totally worried that it will be noisy........argh and I won't be able to let the baby out as I will be so up tight.

Boy even just writing it makes me feel better.

Do you feel the same - eg worried about noises happeneing even when SILENT????
Oh what can we do???????????????????????????

F

FruitLoop

Wow. There seems to be alot of us with this problem. Thank goodness I'm not alone! Have been putting off seeming my GP about it for 2 years. Perhaps she won't laugh me out of the practice telling me to get over it...

Everything everyone has described is exactly the same as how I feel. The original post made me want to cry, it was like I had written it myself! It's a relief to hear other people sound as irrational as I do when I try and describe it to someone. Not that I have told anyone about it, but people around must know something is going on when I run out of a room when they are wolfing down crisps or bashing cutlery against their teeth and dinner plates.

It has to be something chemical surely. Something is going on inside that makes us feel the need to run away or just get plain angry. Fight or flight instinct kicks in.

I also have arachnophobia and similar irrational symptoms occur. The one I find most fascinating is when you don't feel the need to run (usually when you can't run because your stuck in the same room/ bus/ train as the spider/ person eating ect) but to stare. Like I've found myself fixated on the sight of the spider so I know exactly where it is- so i'm in control, I've found myself staring at someone on the bus, clicking their gum or eating really loudly, just staring at them, think all sorts of horrible things I could do, just to make it stop. Not that I ever would, I'm very gentle natured. But the staring gets me into trouble sometimes. Nutcase.

Hope we find a cure or at least a cause. Goodluck.

S

samcoronado

After reading all the posts, I feel like I've found a "home" with other noise haters. But no one seems to know what to do to help - has ANYONE found ANYTHING that will help? I read that taking magnesium helps, but does it? I dread weekends (will the neighbors have a party), I dread hotels (will the room be quiet), etc. Please, please, I am begging, what can I do?

L

LCI1980

Hi everyone,

This is the first I have ever heard of someone else suffering from this. For me it's all the noises people have mentioned and many more, also I have issues with movements others make such a picking nails, twirling hair and the worst is wiggling feet and toes.

As much as it helps to hear I am not alone I would be really interested to hear if anyone has found anything that helps?? I have been seeing a counsellor for a few months but I was just told last night that there is nothing I can do, I just have to learn to accept this is just the way I am. Iam devastated as this is ruling and ruining my life. Any help at all would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

bam7810

To All,
I am exactly like all of you. All of those noises make me very upset also. I share an office with someone who chews with her mouth wide open. She slurps, smacks and makes me want to vomit. She also cracks her gum. Then there is a guy who walks around whistling loudly and shrilly, and when he sneezes, you’d think we just had an earthquake. This is what I don’t get. Many of you feel that you have a problem (and I guess it is “our problem” to some degree), but haven’t you all noticed that this “problem” has gotten worse over recent years? Lack of manners, lack of courtesy, lack of common sense, lack of respect have all increased lately too. And no one seems to care. Everyone looks the other way. Why is that ok? Why is it ok that other people walk around yelling into their cell phones and whistling when we are trying to concentrate and work? Why is it ok that people cough (and pull up constantly) with out covering their mouths? Why is it ok that they are screaming on the commuter trains when I am tired from working a 55 hour week and I just want to read or relax? Why should I be the one to shove ear buds in my ears to mask their yelling (and I haven’t found any yet that really mask their yelling- I still hear them anyway- which makes me even more angry). But my point is – I am not convinced that we need the (noise anxiety)“label”. The world has become lazy, disrespectful, ill mannered and rude. And it seems like everyday there is yet another type of anxiety label put on people, rather than the obvious truth be told: WAKE UP- stop being a rude pig and respect your neighbor- it is not all about you. Don’t get me wrong. It is very comforting to find all of you. But I don’t see any solutions here, and I can only imagine what the “new” anxiety labels will be 5 years from now if this “live and let live” attitude continues.

bam7810

...one more thing....Amtrak has Quiet Cars. And some other rail lines do also now. Does that mean that that a huge majority of the population has "noise anxiety," or do you think that perhaps many people are just fed up and just want peace and quiet from the growing number of RUDE, self centered, lazy, disrespectful, ill mannered people in this world?

Sheils

Hi there all noise haters!
it was the ANTICIPATION of the noise that made the worst anxiety

This is so true.

When I go to bed I sometimes find myself worrying incase a car alarm goes off or a house alarm, or that someone will walk past making a noise outside.

Duing the day I can cope but anything that might cause me to lose sleep panics me.

Simple solution though - ear plugs - they really do work - well for me anyway.

I don't share the common fear though of people eating, coughing etc so I can't offer any remedy for that.

I agree with bam7810 though - the world has become rude and ill mannered, for sure.

Last edited: