New Video - 10 Myths about Social Anxiety

Kyle_rg

Hey everyone, I just posted a new video on my social anxiety Youtube channel. It's concerning some of the myths about social anxiety that I've heard from a couple people and some of the things I used to believe but I have found to be untrue. Maybe you guys know some of this already, but I hope it's new info that helps everyone here.

For those of you that don't know me, I used to have pretty severe social anxiety and I have mostly overcome it, so I'm here to help out.

I will try to make new videos every couple days as well. It would be awesome if some of you could post your questions about SA so I can make more videos to help you. You can private message me if you'd like. If I make a video to answer your question, I will not use your name or anything, it will be anonymous.

10 Myths about Social Anxiety

Thanks for watching, cheers guys

Last edited:

Kyle_rg

yea, I'm pretty sure it's just your computer. Try clicking the link at the top of the video which should take you directly to where the video is on Youtube

SpLynx

1 myth is absolute nonsense, who can even say that? Usually those people are very intelligent, I guess that is their problem lol

2 myth is also nonsense. Usually those people are very good looking. At least I saw many good looking people with such problems, only in this site you can see on the picture thread. You prove that also :D

Thank you especially for myths nr 6,7 and 8. I needed to hear those.

Thanks for this video, good work. Thanks for spreading the light ;)

U

userremoved

Thx bro, it's good to see that people can overcome this problem. Also I thought I was born this way too.

Kyle_rg

So glad to hear you guys got something out of the video :) Yes, social anxiety can be overcome! I've mostly killed mine

Shift

I agree with a lot of what you said. Especially the first two. I hate when people think I am mentally retarded just because I don't talk to anyone. I'm definitely not a genius, but I'm smarter than most people. I'm hoping it's true about it not taking years and years to get rid of my social anxiety...

I don't think I agree with you completely on 10 though. Do you know the concordance rates for social anxiety? I'd research that before completely disregarding genetics. But I do think the environment does play a big part in developing social anxiety.

Ellla

thanks amazing, thought i knew quite a lot but your claims we very simple, true and inspirational.

thanks so much for your time

Kyle_rg

I wonder if SP running in families is a myth....or is it not?

I think a lot of it can be learned from your parents and it seems that a lot of it can be kind of "downloaded" into you when you're born. So it can be sort of genetic in that sense. This does not mean that you can't change the behaviors and beliefs that cause it. As always, I could always be wrong but it seems like a lot of people have overcome fairly severe social anxiety.

My father has SA and I believe that I learned it from him. I just took on his behaviors and thinking patterns, which does not mean that I can't change.

I don't think I agree with you completely on 10 though. Do you know the concordance rates for social anxiety? I'd research that before completely disregarding genetics. But I do think the environment does play a big part in developing social anxiety.

Yup, that's why I have the disclaimer at the beginning to say that's it's my opinion, not fact. I base my beliefs on the latest scientific research on genetics that says it has little to do with behavior. This does not mean that behaviors can't be sort of "programmed" into you from birth from your parents. I think that has truth, but you can change your behaviors once you are fully conscious of the destructive ones.

I can't find the stuff I read on genetics, but please do some research on the latest findings and you'll see what I mean. I'll try and find the video that changed the way I look at genetics being a role in social anxiety.

Last edited:
I think that genetics could play a role as far as predispositions to things like this... not a complete "cause" and not something that you would necessarily have to be affected by- but something in your genetic make-up could make you more susceptible to getting SA.

If it were all environment, then many more people would probably have SA... like anyone who had a lot of the same things happen to them as you did would get it... the fact that people can have different reactions to some of the environmental "triggers" for SA probably means that it isn't the full story... your personality, temperament, and sensitivities are probably genetic to a certain extent.

Kyle_rg

I think that genetics could play a role as far as predispositions to things like this... not a complete "cause" and not something that you would necessarily have to be affected by- but something in your genetic make-up could make you more susceptible to getting SA.

If it were all environment, then many more people would probably have SA... like anyone who had a lot of the same things happen to them as you did would get it... the fact that people can have different reactions to some of the environmental "triggers" for SA probably means that it isn't the full story... your personality, temperament, and sensitivities are probably genetic to a certain extent.

I agree with you there. I believe that most of us may have a genetic temperament that makes us more sensitive than most people and more prone to criticism and rejection. But, I still think that you can change your thoughts and behaviors so that you are no longer affected by anyone's opinion, rejection or criticism.

I used to be extremely sensitive to rejection, being made fun of and criticism. Now these things are not nearly as much of a big deal to me, I can handle a lot more because I changed the way I think about things.

The anxiety still comes up when I get criticized or made fun of (people are always going to make fun of you, no stopping that), but it no longer takes over my thoughts like it used to. I think I'm on my way to being immune to the opinions of others, which means no more social anxiety :)

Making these Youtube videos has helped me as well. I'm now exposing myself to potentially being made fun of, criticized or disliked. I actually look forward to these things because if I am at all affected, it lets me know that I have more work to do. The most confident people are unaffected by the opinions of others, but can still listen and use criticism constructively. I think it's great for us to make videos about our issues or just make videos about other stuff, since we all seem to be camera shy :)

ahazaq2

I know it's basically a nature vs. nurture type of thing, but there's also cases where the environment and genetics are very similar, and you get two completely different people in terms of social anxiety. Me and my sister are polar opposites. I have social anxiety, but my sister is a social butterfly. We both had the same (bad, but not really bad compared to **** some people go through) upbringing.

EDIT: And Kyle, dude, if I met you somewhere I would just think you were a cool normal type of guy. Just goes to show that it's not easily predictable.

Kyle_rg

I have social anxiety, but my sister is a social butterfly. We both had the same (bad, but not really bad compared to **** some people go through) upbringing.

EDIT: And Kyle, dude, if I met you somewhere I would just think you were a cool normal type of guy. Just goes to show that it's not easily predictable.

Yea, because I've gained social skills by working in a restaurant and such (F#@K that was painful at first!!), people think I'm "normal" now, which is nice, but I still have some anxiety. I haven't had a panic attack in a long time which is nice, but I'm probably going to get back into public speaking because I think I can handle the anxiety that i still get from that.

It's funny to see people who you would NEVER think to have social anxiety that have it... it blows my mind. I just watched a youtube video of a super hot girl that has very good social skills and was quite confident, and she gets panic attacks all the time. I've also seen people who are obviously shy and nervous, but it's all good, I used to be painfully shy and nervous and awkward, glad those days are mostly gone. I'm so glad I joined this forum, so many cool people here