New to Botox for hands, many questions!

Sweatygoals

hello, I am planning on having the Botox injections into my hands. Being new to this treatment, I have many questions. I would love to hear about anyone's experience with Botox injections.

What determines the length of time in which the Botox injections will last?
How effective is this treatment?
What are the most common side effects and how long do these effects last until your hands are back to normal strength/coordination(if affected)?

Look forward to hearing your responses!

Sprawling

Here's a post from 2011 by most likely a former member. Just search the
archives archives:

Hi everyone, I just registered, I’m a lurker but I’ve never posted.
A brief introduction, I’m a 23 year old girl from Australia.
I suffer from severe palmar and plantar ( hands and feet) hyperhidrosis.
2 weeks ago today I had 100 injections of botox injected in my hands, Palms only.
My doctors organised a plan for me so I wasn’t required to pay, this was a one off so that if it was successful I could save up for next time.
I went to this doctor and they put numbing cream on my hands for about an hour.
My doctor said it would take about 2 minutes each hand with 100 injections in each palm.
Because it was painful and I asked her to stop so many times it took about 15 minutes.
It was very painful but not to the point where I needed to cry or anything, and at the time I felt it was well worth it and if it worked I wouldn’t hesitate to repeat it each year.
My hands bled a bit and my doctor said I have the most blood vessels in someone’s hand she had ever seen. After the procedure my hands were a shade of blue and purple and this indicated where my blood vessels were. My hands remained bruised for 3 days and each individual needle ***** was visible as well. My hands had a annoying sensation like I had fallen over on cement, that annoying tingling feeling.
My doctor said it would last between 9 to 12 months and hands were her specialty and just the week before had performed it on a 13 year old girl, but it was clear hers was not as severe as mine. So my hopes were pretty high. I was told that I would see results between 4 to 7 days.
At around day 5 my palms were 100% dry, and it made my fingers look 10 times worse. I was so happy in this time, I was showing my close friends and family constantly, I checked my hands many times a day because I just couldn’t believe it. Even though we only did my palms I felt more confident. I didn’t have to have my car air-conditioning on the highest setting to prevent sweat dripping down my arms. I didn’t have to carry a towel around the house.
At about day 12 I started noticing my palms getting damp again, I dismissed it as sweat that had dripped down from my fingers, but it’s become more obvious that I’m slowly starting to sweat more and more again.
Today, day 14, I went to my doctor and she did a test to see if my sweat glands had stopped working. She put something that looked like white flour on my hands and the had me tip my hands over to remove the flour. I then turned my hands back over to reveal black flour. The black flour indicates where the sweat glands are still present in your hands. Half of my right hand had patches of black and 30 % of my left palm had black patches. I was devastated. My doctors have decided that we will not go forward with putting Botox in my fingers as probably by next week my hands will be at full sweating capacity again.
I’ve been pretty upset all day crying and such. I don’t want to talk to anyone but I felt like posting on here and just getting it all out. I’m studying at the moment so I can enter the Police academy but I thought I could have my hands sorted by then. It looks like I might never get to do my dream job. I was so excited about the thought of dating guys and letting people get close to me. I was excited about being able to high five people. Excited about not carrying a towel around…
I just wanted to share my Botox experience, maybe save some people spending money. My doctor said (if it worked) it would cost me $2000 a year to have Botox in my palms and fingers. Which I would have found a way to pay (if it worked). I think my hands are just too damn sweaty. I would only encourage people with mild sweating in the hands to get it done.
So I think that’s it, post some questions or whatever if you like and I’ll keep an eye on this thread.
I have some amazing determined doctors so I will keep you updated.
Candice
DesertFox is offline Report Post

NickM

I had the Botox procedure done in my hands. It only lasted for about a month or 2. Not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk