new jobs

MarkR1983

I have a question (I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I will ask anyway.) I have worked at the same job for the past five years (since I was about 19) but now that I am getting older I need to find another job. In the past 9 months I have tried three jobs. They were all great jobs with great benefits, but I just can't get my self to go in the first day of the job. The few days before the jobs I am feeling great, actually looking forward to the job, but when I wake up in the morning, the first day of the job, I start to "freak out". I can't get myself to go in. After the last time/job today, he prescribed me Xanax. I took one pill at home, but it put me in such a stupor that I don't think I could have possibly functioned at work, especially since I have to use power tools. Has anyone has this problem, and if so what do I do?
P.S. If anyone has any questions - I know I was vague because I didn't want to make my blog 8 pages - please ask me.

Sounds like anticipatory anxiety, I've had that lots of times. The only thing that has helped me with it is Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). With ACT perhaps you can feel the anxiety and yet still be able to get control of your body enough to actually start at the new job. Good luck and hang in there.

whatever12

I totally know what you mean Mark. I too can't get my self tgt somewhere, where it's my first of working. I get excited beforehand about working somewhere new, to meet people I'll be working with, but the first day is just overwhelming. There's so many negative thoughts that go through my head not just the first day but everyday. If your so anxious about the first day, or working somewhere new, I would just suck it up and just work. Take medication if you can to ease your anxiety...I need to get myself to do that. You need to work or go to school, one or the other..unfortunately that life :?

whatever12

I totally know what you mean Mark. I too can't get my self tgt somewhere, where it's my first of working. I get excited beforehand about working somewhere new, to meet people I'll be working with, but the first day is just overwhelming. There's so many negative thoughts that go through my head not just the first day but everyday. If your so anxious about the first day, or working somewhere new, I would just suck it up and just work. Take medication if you can to ease your anxiety...I need to get myself to do that. You need to work or go to school, one or the other..unfortunately that life :?