New here

Deadcat

Hi everyone,

I'm a young french woman, 24 years old, living in Paris. I have suffered of bulimia and anorexia for 4 years now, and I am recovering. But now that I've enough time and energy to focus on something else than my eating disorders, I realize I have a big problem with my relationships (sorry for my english !).

I don't understand my behaviour. I really WANT to see friends, or guys for dates, and a few days before I accept to see them, but then, when the moment approaches, I don't feel motivated anymore, and cancel.

People get really tired and I become more and more lonely... Which hurts me a lot.

I see a psychiatrist who gave me SEROPLEX (I don't know if it's the same name in english) and it worked for a while, helping me to see more people, but it doesn't work anymore.

I need some advices, about which medicines worked, and how I wan "force" myself to see people, because the more time I spend alone, the more I get used to it and feel afraid to spend time with others...

Thank you :)

Nathália

Hello Deadcat and good luck on your recovery. I can read your English just fine; it is great. I understand. Welcome to SPW world, I hope you find answers.

recluse

Hi and welcome! Bonjour! Je mapelle Recluse!:)

I can relate to the anorexia too as i'm a guy who used to suffer from it.

ellxdee

hello deadcat

I am happy to hear that you are recovering from your eating disorders. A lot of times personality disorders overlap eating disorders and go hand in hand. Have you spoken with your Dr about this. You seem to have SA from what you described in your introduction. May I suggest you take an online quiz to see if you exhibit anxiety symptoms and then speak with a dr if you fall into a category?.. good luck.

MarionBerry

Hi there and welcome,

I can speak on the medication issue as I've tried lots of different ones. Your Seroplex is the same as Lexapro in the States. It is an SSRI. I've taken that one. It worked for a little bit and then stopped and I got worse, took more, it worked for a while and then stopped again. I gave up.

I've taken several other SSRIs and can say that, for me, the sexual side effects were a major problem when the drugs were working. I wanted sex more, but couldn't....complete...so I got frustrated and mad. And then all the SSRIs either stopped working or made me manic. Your experiences will be different, each drug works a little differently on everyone. It took me a year to get the medication combo right and we are still tweaking it a little.

My advice is, don't give up. Therapy with the help of medications is probably a good path to take.

Everett

I used to live like a hermit; I never went out, never met with friends, never anything other than go to class and back. This year, I lived with 2 very close friends and it helped me cope with my hermitism by a lot! You can take it slow and start going out with your friends once your comfortable. In my case, I had to force myself to go with them the first few times.

vitalis

I used to live like a hermit; I never went out, never met with friends, never anything other than go to class and back. This year, I lived with 2 very close friends and it helped me cope with my hermitism by a lot! You can take it slow and start going out with your friends once your comfortable. In my case, I had to force myself to go with them the first few times.

Yeah, I can relate with that feeling also. It feels like you are better when you are alone because we've been trained this way. This is one of the major obstacles in trying to overcome this, because even when you finally dare to do something social, you don't enjoyed it as much, and may have the temptation to get back to get lonely and close yourself again. Like for instance, in this last year, I've been forced myself numerous times to go out for social meetings, but just once I really enjoyed it. This makes you feel kind of hopeless, but there's nothing more than trying it.

As for the OP regarding medicines, I haven't ever taken nor prescribed with since I haven't been to the doctor, so I can't comment on the issue. But for thee eating disorders I can just congratulate you for having overcame this: if you did well with that, I'm sure you can also with AVpD, just keep constant and strong!