New here


New member

I've been looking for a place to discuss SA for a while. I hope this works out.

I am pretty much self-diagnosed, although I'm searching for a good counselor at the moment. Does anyone have any recommendations on the type of counselor I should look for?




Well-known member
Welcome Photogal7!

I have never been to see a counsellor, so I can't really give you any recommendations. Just thought I would welcome you! :)

I do hope all works out for you. We're here whenever you need us.

Take care now, from Frozen_In_Time


Well-known member
Photogal7 said:

>Does anyone have any recommendations on the type of counselor I should look for?<


If you're paying out of pocket, be sure you look for a counsellor or counselling agency that provides a 'sliding scale' fee that's adjusted to your income.

Don't be discouraged if at first you don't get the right one - there are some bad ones, and you'll know by how you feel leaving the office. Try to get a free introductory sesssion. It took me a few years (YMMV), but the one I have now works out perfectly for just plain talk therapy AND the price is right.

good luck :)



Well-known member
Hiya, Photogal7,

I would suggest a therapist that knows Cognitive/Behavioral Therapy. I was looking in the psychological journals and this type of therapy has the most research to back up its therapudic value.
I have been seeing the same therapist for a long time. He has helped me a lot. However, if you can't find one, then settle for someone who you feel that you can trust and get along with. When I first started therapy, my therapist was the only other contact I had to the outside world. I rarely even spoke to my family. For a while, he was the only person I could trust (to speak to).

Good Luck....and remember that atleast you have this website, so you can speak to others that feel the same kind of fear. (I didn't have that!)