my symptoms

Anonymous

i need to go to the doctor to get medication... if there are more than 3 people sitting in a meeting with me, my voice is croaky, i blush, possible get the sweats, hands shake, its the blushing that really fucks me up... I may go to college next year, and already am dreading it and everytime i think of it my stomach gets an anxiety ball, i deffered it last year because i practically took a breakdown thinking and worrying and being so anxious about it... anybodies thoughts on this.. please help...

shep

Hi. I'm surprised no one has posted a reply to you, especially from people around your age (I'm out to pasture nowadays). I can only say that there are lots of people here who share what you are dealing with and it's often helpful to connect with someone who understands. If you are dreading the thought of attending college next year, you may want to hold off until you are handling your sp a bit better. I have spent most of my life adjusting it around the problem. Sure, my life has not been as full as I would have liked but peace of mind is very important. So far I have been fortunate enough to be able to avoid meds as well. I did not attend college due to my problem (at the time I had no idea what was wrong with me and it was many years later that I found out) but I have developed many interests over the years and I continue to avoid, when possible, situations that make me very uneasy and I get through those that I can not wiggle out of. (Weddings, family get-togetherers, etc) Sometimes a little "dutch courage" has helped a bit. Anyway, I wish you well and I hope that someone dealing with your situation will give you a little more help and encouragement than I have. Good luck and welcome to this site.

JWH

College as in university? Can't help you so much with the anxiety as I had it easy. I had three people I knew and was friendly with from school go to the same faculty as me, two of them doing the same course which was a required first year thing. Since then I've done second and third year with other people, but it's really good because there's at max. 30 people doing the course.

If this is university you're talking about, is it possible to choose a course which is smallish and where the people are really passionate about what they do? That way your peers will spend less time worrying about appearance or your behaviour and more time about what you have to say.

I think taking medication could be a good idea for you just in the beginning, until you can take the time to settle down. Once you get into the pattern of things, it's much easier to cope. I've never taken meds either, but god knows how I would have coped if I had to do first year over without any support.

Anonymous

yea, college is the same as university, i do think it would benefit me to go and do it in the long run, its a three year course prt-time and work want me to do this and sometimes i think i can but i can't get past what I know i'm like, and the near breakdown i had this year (the reason why i deferred the course in the first place, i've seen a few counsellors since but its so hard to get up and go and keep appointments with them...) people i work with just don't know how bad i am, they just think i lack a bit confidence, but i really think if i get some medication that at least the worry of the physical side of things, it'll be easier to cope with. I got something of the doctor, i still have the prescription in my bag, just have to get it from the chemist, he says they're very mild tablets and more for anxiety, so i'll try them and c how i feel after a month, Thanks for replying to me guys....

Anonymous

Thinking back to when i started uni (2 years ago, I was 18 then) I lasted about 4 months... and while the anxiety at uni was bad, it was actually the depression and sleeping in real late that shot me down - and I resigned (even though I could have had another chance..). Im 20 now, still SP, but preparing to go back again in 2006 Jan. Until then I will have to control this SP somehow.