My Self-Image is Totaly ****ed Up

Okay I wrote a huge post on this but my browser crashed and I lost the whole thing so Im going to make this breif. :mad:

My self-image is severely warped by my mental disorders. I think of myself in terms of my "failures" and my weird behavior, even things which I did 12 years ago! I think of myself as a weirdo and a failure who has not, and does not, act like a normal person should. To support this belief I constantly remind myself of my "terrible" failture to embrace the things I presently value or enjoy, or which normal people are "supposed" to do, until "too" late in life. However, most of these behaviors are not things to base my self-esteem on, and now that I think of it, I ACTUALLY wanted to do them for years before I started to. I didn't do them BECAUSE MY ANXIETY HELD ME BACK! Here is a short list...

1. Partying. - first wanted to in 10th grade.
2. Going out at night with people. - 10th grade.
3. Dating & romance. - 6th grade.
4. Having sex. - 10th grade.
5. Going to dances. - 10th grade.
6. Dressing in typical / normal clothing. - 6th grade.
7. Working out. - 9th grade.
8. Skating. - 10th grade.
9. Playing pool. - 10th grade.
10. Paintballing. - 6th grade.
11. Listening to music in general. - 6th grade.
12. Listening to rock-music specificaly. - 6th grade.
13. Wearing stylish clothing / accessorizing. - 6th grade.
14. Learning to fight - 9th grade

Here is a short list of some of the weird things my disorders cause(d) me to do. I evaluate my self-image in terms of my propensity to engage in these activities, even though they have nothing to do with my PERSONALITY!

1. Dressing in weird, dorky clothing in middle school and during 11th and 12th grade.

2. Not taking care of my personal hygiene in 6th - 7th grade.

3. Jerking off compulsively.

4. Jerking off to a sick, violent fetish. (not from anxiety disorder per se but related) ;)

5. Isolating myself in my room all day.

6. Saying or doing very insensitive, socialy inappropriate things

Finaly, I now realize that I have NEVER done ANY of the things I consider to be very loserish other than the ones I listed above or in my previous post on my worst "defects". The things I do which are dorky, nerdy, or weird, I am usualy proud of and don't care what others think. Here's a list...
1. I watch heroes.

2. I have a gem collection.

3. I collect military gear.

4. I have a costume prop collection.

5. I used to collect money from various countries.

6. I like to research psychology, sociology, history, and genetics.

Therefore, in light of the above evidence, I conclude that...

1. I am not now, nor have I ever been a weird, creepy, or loserish person. ("weird" to me imlpies unacceptably strange)

2. My anxiety disorders have often caused me inadvertantly or involuntarily, to think and act in weird, creepy, and loserish ways.

3. I am odd in a number of ways which I don't mind.

Last edited:
"6. I like to research psychology, sociology, history, and genetics."

i would like to do that, except i don't believe i have the mind capacity. every time i read something that explains stuff like how the mind works i get overwhelmed with thoughts of it and end up never finishing the book because its too much for me to process, or so i think.
or maybe i have ADD, except every time i consider the possibility then i think about how i can read all the girly-teen/stupid let's-see-how-many-guys-we-can-****-and-how-much-alcohol-we-can-puke-before-graduation books i own in one day, but no books that will make me any smarter. lolol.

I think you are caught up alot in what you learned off from others or TV. You let these labels from society become too important to you. I relate alot to what you post, and I also dont thnk you are weird or a loser at all. You defintiely need to get over your past and not dwell on it. Yu also need to change your outlook for the present and future.

I think you are caught up alot in what you learned off from others or TV. You let these labels from society become too important to you. I relate alot to what you post, and I also dont thnk you are weird or a loser at all. You defintiely need to get over your past and not dwell on it. Yu also need to change your outlook for the present and future.

Yes, I obsessively worry about my "failures" and use them to define my self-image rather than basing it on my personal interests and other qualities. You are entirely correct Punk.

DownInAHole

Yes, I obsessively worry about my "failures" and use them to define my self-image rather than basing it on my personal interests and other qualities. You are entirely correct Punk.

I do the same thing man, base my self-image on the things I don't like about myself, or things I haven't done. Instead of thinking of my good traits, and the fun things I've experienced in life.

I do the same thing man, base my self-image on the things I don't like about myself, or things I haven't done. Instead of thinking of my good traits, and the fun things I've experienced in life.

Ive recently let this go since making the post. Have you realized why it's nonsense and you cannot fairly base your self-image on these things?

"6. I like to research psychology, sociology, history, and genetics."

i would like to do that, except i don't believe i have the mind capacity. every time i read something that explains stuff like how the mind works i get overwhelmed with thoughts of it and end up never finishing the book because its too much for me to process, or so i think.
or maybe i have ADD, except every time i consider the possibility then i think about how i can read all the girly-teen/stupid let's-see-how-many-guys-we-can-****-and-how-much-alcohol-we-can-puke-before-graduation books i own in one day, but no books that will make me any smarter. lolol.

Off topic: For some inexplicable reason, your pic, when I look at it with peripheral vision... I always thought it was a picture of Einstein having fun. I wouldn't mention it, except it's happened every single time... You know the picture of Einstein grinning with his unique hairstyle and all? (This is a compliment btw, since I love Einstein)

On topic: I'm glad you had the realization. You may be picking up on things on tv that made you label yourself negatively.