My problems -- bad!?!

Lawsweat

I'm a new member. Here's what I deal with.

I'm a lawyer who is in front of clients, judges and the public. I get paid to think on my feet and present arguments, etc.

I was in debate programs in HS and College and was very good. I had no problems with HH or whatever back then.

I've always considered myself a very heavy sweater. I tend to be hot most of the time. When I exercise or ride bike, the sweat pours off me. In normal social situations, there is no sweat. None.

I started excessive sweating within my profession about ten years ago in my late 20s. It is now unbearable. I can feel a noticeable change in my body temperature when I am put in a sudden social situation, like public speaking, and sweat comes from all over -- head, neck, underarms, belly, back, groin and feet. There is no controlling it. I've tried beta blockers, topical heavy doses of antiperspirants, and they do not help.

Sometimes it is instantaneous. I will be on the phone and opposing counsel wants to "hold my feet to the fire" or do something nasty, then I sense my body temperature escallate and I'm sweating, usually from my forehead and groin.

For me, this is a HUGE problem. A lawyer who sweats is exhibiting insecurity and inspires no confidence. My boss hasn't noticed it yet because I am often sent in alone.

To even control or manage the situation, I have to do weird crap. Like right before my oral presentation, I put ice in my shoes; dab ice cold water on my face, groin, sit in front of my car's air conditioning, etc. About 25% of the time, it helps. If I can get rolling into my presentation and exhibit confidence, it does not flare up. If the HH or sweating starts happening, it can be an hour of sweat, non stop, so that it looks like I just took a shower. My latest episode my fingers had pruned because I had to give a 90 minute presentation to 50 other professionals. It was extremely embarrasing.

What I don't understand is that I'm really good (without the sweat) on my feet. When I was in college, I debated to theatre full of onlookers and kicked butt.

I am wondering if my problem is purely psychological. I have read that "talking cures" usually do not work. But the situation where I can be in a conference room with 6 clients, spending hours going over important case issues, me making persuasive points, and no sweat problems occur; on the flip side, if the opposing counsel calls me and tells me he is filing a motion to compel, I start excessively sweating.

Any input or help would be appreciated!

BiGz

well it sounds to me that as your sweating comes on from stressful circumstances that yes you do suffer from HH and its not psychological. I'm almost completely dry when I'm comfortable but when it comes to doing somthing such as a presentation I sweat badly.

Best thing is to see your GP, but avoid surgery at all costs.