My life has gone down the tube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

depressed_diva_93

A couple of weeks ago, my mum started getting depressed and feeling sick. I though it would only last a couple of weeks but it has gotten worse. Yesterday, for the first time in 2 years my mum smoked a cigarette. She has a depression condition that can't be cured but goes away for a long time, comes back then goes away again. After about 5 years, it seems to have come back and she is always crying, talking about running away or suicide. My mum and dad have also started to argue quite a lot. And this week I have cried about more than 10 times, thinking of last year and what a great time we had on holiday. I have also started to scratch myself with a needle, self harming myself. At school I have had problems and fights with my friends, which isn't helping the situation at home. I feel like running away or throwing myself off a bridge and need desperate help before my family falls apart :(
Female, 14 UK

Starry

I'm so sorry about everything with your family. You shouldn't have to experience that at only 14.

I'm sorry about your mother, you must find it very difficult. My mother was depressed when I was a child and would talk about leaving and killing herself, though I was younger than you at the time. So I know how it feels. It's really horrible.

I know about scratching yourself too. Since I do that too. I know I shouldn't but sometimes it seems to be the only thing to do, right? Though a lot of the time I try to do other things instead... Draw a picture, I don't mean concentrate and try to do well. Just take out your emotions on the paper, scribble away. Rip up the paper, whatever... It can help sometimes.

You should also try to find someone you trust absolutely that you can talk to. Maybe even try talking to your mother, though while she's depressed it may not prove much use.

Sorry I'm not much use. But I know how you feel.

Mondo

Hi DD93,

I feel for you as well. I come from a dsyfuntional home where my Mom would go Hysterical, be abusive and basically tear the place up... as well as any relations to her that she was around. To cope I did self destructive things that were harming, like drinking and drugs. I agree with Starry, talk about how you are feeling. Here is a good start, maybe try and reach out to friends or a counseller. Keeping it inside will only make things worse. The more you share the better it will get. You are not alone! Keep posting on here, we care, and want you to be healthy.

flake__

depressed_diva_93 said:
A couple of weeks ago, my mum started getting depressed and feeling sick. I though it would only last a couple of weeks but it has gotten worse. Yesterday, for the first time in 2 years my mum smoked a cigarette. She has a depression condition that can't be cured but goes away for a long time, comes back then goes away again. After about 5 years, it seems to have come back and she is always crying, talking about running away or suicide. My mum and dad have also started to argue quite a lot. And this week I have cried about more than 10 times, thinking of last year and what a great time we had on holiday. I have also started to scratch myself with a needle, self harming myself. At school I have had problems and fights with my friends, which isn't helping the situation at home. I feel like running away or throwing myself off a bridge and need desperate help before my family falls apart :(
Female, 14 UK

Hi depressed_diva,

You really need to talk to someone if you are feeling this way before things build up and you do something rash.

I know this sounds patronising but you are only 14. Infact i went through a very bad time when i was 14 actually. I talked to no one because i thought i could handle it myself and not worry anyone, and ended up doing something really rash and (i realised afterwards) really stupid because the emotion built up and i was not able to think rationally and put things in perspective.

Things may seem bad atm..there is obviously alot of things stressing you out like a 'nothing's going right' sort of thing. But if you spoke to someone i think you might surprise yourself at the fresh perspectives and ideas for solutions that people have. You could talk to your dad, a friend, or a counsellor...a counsellor might be best as they are a neutral person.

You scratching yourself is nothing to be ashamed of either, it just shows the amount of emotion you are feeling at the moment and how hard it is for you to deal with such emotion.

Good luck :D