My first presentation in over 10 years!

black_mamba

Just under 2 hours ago I completed my first presentation since I was a 12 year old - and I'm still blushing!!

[Ok, white lie - I did one last year about making bottle rockets but that was in front of 30 kids, and I'm not shy around children at all].

So today I spoke to 8 classmates and a lecturer about rotary engine valves (oh trust me, it's fascinating). It was all very informal and my time limit was about 2 minutes i.e. it was the perfect opportunity to get some practice without too much pressure.

It went ok - I'm sure my face was bright red throughout but I managed to maintain a loud voice until the end. At one point I forgot what the thing in front of me was called and stuttered a little - god damn you overhead projector!!

Overall - not bad, especially for a bumbling fool like black mamba. :)

The moral of the story is; If I can do it, so can you.*

*Not applicable for presentations in front of more than 9 persons. :evil:

Bexi

dazysez_well_done.gif

pitkreet

wtg, black_mamba

how were you in terms of anticipatory nerves in the days leading up to the presentation?

....was that a talking dog?

Angie_05

Congrats. It's great that you are dwelling on the small mistakes, but on the overall performance. yay!

coolguy2005

I habitually consider presentations to be quite fun and interesting. Instead of dwelling on the negative aspects of it, which I believe there are none, I think of the opportunities: to teach people new things, to show myself off, and to challange myself. If you sever your former negative beliefs, and adopt a 'fun' attitude to presentations...you can do it! You'll be a new person, just like a wife is a new person when the veil is lifted!

Mamba, I command you on your performance. Excellent work. I hope your positive attitude towards presentations remains indefintely.

and bexi...could you send me that dog picture? I find it rather amusing.

coolguy2005

I habitually consider presentations to be quite fun and interesting. Instead of dwelling on the negative aspects of it, which I believe there are none, I think of the opportunities: to teach people new things, to show myself off, and to challange myself. If you sever your former negative beliefs, and adopt a 'fun' attitude to presentations...you can do it! You'll be a new person, just like a wife is a new person when the veil is lifted!

Mamba, I command you on your performance. Excellent work. I hope your positive attitude towards presentations remains indefintely.

and bexi...could you send me that dog picture? I find it rather amusing.

4myself

Yay Black mamba!, You just accomplished one of the most difficult things to do, heck even people without sp dont like giving presentations. So Yay to you! :)

nighthawk

Congrats, I know presentations can be really intimidating. But I love that feeling, after your finished, of pride of having gone thru with it and - perfect or not- realizing that most of your previous negative anticipation was unfounded. Postive feedback/cycles Kick Ass huh??? :lol:

PEACE

black_mamba

Thankyou thankyou thankyou everyone who congratulated me!!

It was only a 2 minute talk however, and I'm left wondering if I could cope with anything more meaty. At the end of the year I have to present my technical dissertation and talk for 15minutes: that is gonna be terrifying and I really really don't want to do it. :cry:

Some more good news though - I passed my motorbike driving test today. Horaah! *eats her L-plates* :)