My FB and how it affects me.

amn0270

You can see more about me in the Introductions forum but I figured I'd elaborate on this one aspect of my social phobia. I am a 36 male and have had this problem since my teens but didn't really become fully conscious of it until my 20's. I am and always was a very shy, introverted person until I get to know someone real well. I only can recall one incident of FB from my teens that I know now was facial blushing, though there were probably tons more. I was sitting in the high school cafeteria and I repeated a funny dirty line from a movie I had seen the night before to my friends sitting with me and I remember my face getting this warm tingly feeling. I don't recall anyone saying I had turned red but knowing what my face feels like now when I get it that it was the same. For some reason in my 20's people I would talk to, strangers or whoever, made it a point to tell me I was turning beet red which is what really made me start to associate the feeling in face with the fact I was blushing and thus making me very conscious of it and thus made my very self conscious it and really made it worse. Now when interacting the anxiety of it happening makes socializing which had been hard enough for me already that much worse. So now whenever I am out in public or socializing I am careful about what I talk about since certain subjects tend to make it occur more than others. The worst is when someone asks me an embarassing question. That always triggers it. Along with the warm tingly feeling in my face, my eyes and ears burn as wel. When I feel it happening I tend to rub hands over my face like I was wiping the sleep out of my eyes so's to try and hide it. Or I immediately try and walk away quick, sometimes ending conversations abruptly in the process. Now understand, I have no problem sitting in a restaurant and ordering food from the waiter or waitress and maybe making some quick smalltalk or talking to a clerk in store. And not all other types of conversation with other trigger it either. Its hard to pin down all the triggers. Embarassing questions, or ones that I perceive as embarassing cause it. Me trying to tell a joke saying something goofy tend to as well. But there are other things that don't fit either criteria that do it to. I remember one incident a couple of years ago at my job. Someone had brought their 5 year old in for "Take your kids to work day" and I remember the kid was walking around mingling with people. I happened to be walking by him going back to my desk and as I passed him I simply said "hi there" to him the way someone might talk to a 4 or 5 year old. Kinda a goofy way. Nothing unusual. Almost immediately as I continued walking by him I felt the FB happening and then I turned the corner and one of my coworkers was walking by, and he said something like, what happened back there, why are you blushing. This all occured over the course a maybe 10 seconds tops. He never even saw my interaction of the kid or what I said to the kid but for whatever reason the FB happened. So this FB cripples me so much that I can't even talk to a 5 year old without it happening. I have very low self-esteem, not only because of it but also because of some other issues I suffer with. Everything seemed to snowball as I got older.

Adam

Coral

Hi Adam, Welcome: ) I'm a newbie here too. Also have the same problem - I blush so easily. Often I used to put it down to being a shy redhead, but as you said about yourself, it doesn't happen to me all the time either. It was worse when I was in my teens, now I'm 26 & it isn't all the time, but still bad enough to make me fear large group situations & esp. presentations, etc. I agree, it can be often triggered by sumthin embarrassing or if i try to joke about sumthin. It used to be worse for me even talkin to cashiers in a store, but that's not as bad now. Have u heard of these different group therapy things - I've actually considered goin to one, cos everyone's in the same boat but at the same time, I'd have to talk loads in front of a group :) Guess that's the idea tho! Do you ever think that if you didn't blush you wouldn't have any probs chattin to folk, I know I do. That's the main thing that ever holds me back, even tho I know I'd still be a bit shy & reserved. If I didn't blush I'd do a lot more social things, like join societies, etc.
Well, enough about me, sorry!
Here's wishing you all the best in the Blushing Battle! I'm right there too!
Leah -x-

Morpheusz

Hello Adam

I can definately relate to the FB. It usually occurs when I have to give a speech or get caught off guard. There will be times when Im just talking to someone, I can can feel my face and ears heat up. I wish I knew what caused it. There are times when I feel extremely confident and my self esteem is high. Being in my line of work.......law enforcement, I have confronted some of my biggest fears. I started keeping a log when I think IM facial blushing and what was going on at the time. I know FB will never completely go away, but Im going do my best to minimze it.

Todd

Yiddo81

Hi all,

I can relate to everything you guys have said. I too am in my mid twenties and only really started getting FB in the past few years. It is the most horrible thing that has ever happened to me and absolutely destorys my confidence.
Today at work i was talking to a lady and the same old thing happened - for no reason i can feel that horrible tingly feeling in my face as it goes red and then i get really flustered and sweaty. I absolutely hate it, it eats me up inside like you wouldnt believe.
I have absolutely no idea what to do about it and its ruining my life. Dont get me wrong, i dont have an "attack" every day but it effects me in that i pull out of certain situations daily and do things in a different way than i used just to cut out the risk of being seen blushing.

I really dont fancy going to one of those group things but i dont know what else there is to try. Apart from my wife i have never spoken to my problem with anyone and i'd feel destroyed if my parents and brother ever saw me have an attack. Has anyone got an ideas what so ever of other things to try? Any medications, remedies etc? I'll try anything!