My family Dr advised me how to get rid of the depression. :/

Marvolo

Hi.

I've on a visit at my general family doctor's (is it called GP as well, in English? I'm not sure) recently, with some other health case.

When I'd some possibility to tell about my condition, I shyly suggested that I might have depressive feeling and so - do you know what he said? He advised me, that if I seeked and found some summer job, I would get rid of the depression. Zero understanding!

Even a doctor doesn't understand, that young people develop depression - I haven't even tried to tell him about anxiety feelings... :?

Oh, the phone rings. I'll obviously not answer it, and nobody else is at home. :x :oops:

Foxglove

Some doctors can be real assholes. Can you maybe try another doctor, one who would take you seriously? I have to put up with a lot of crap from the doctor I get my antidepressant medication from. He asks me stuff like "Are you STILL a housewife?", or "What do you DO all day?", stuff like that. Incredibly disrespectful. I won't go to him again if I can find a different doctor. I think a lot of doctors are just full of themselves, think that they are God, and just don't give a damn about their patients. They just want to keep on making the big money.

I don't usually answer my phone either. We have one of those caller i.d. things, which shows the number of the person calling. If I don't recognize the number, or if it's somebody I don't wanna talk to, I just let the answering machine pick up.

Marvolo

Thanks, Foxglove, for the answer. Well, I should look for some other doctor actually, but currently I'm too depressed to take any action. :roll: :(
It's miserable.

Cheers to you! :)