Music Therapy

Digitaldreams

Recently I came to realize how much music can affect mood and I've been using music to improve my mood and other things about me. Do any of you have any recommendations on positive music.....that is,what are some good artists or types of music to go for "positivity"?

Also,do you have any interesting thoughts about what makes a song more positive? For example, I've observed that some music from the 80s has a more positive sound to it and I think that a large part of it is due to the synthesizers. Certain types of electric guitar,on the other hand,make songs sound depressing. (I wish I knew music more so I could express this more eloquently)

SocialButterSlip

Digitaldreams said:
Recently I came to realize how much music can affect mood and I've been using music to improve my mood and other things about me. Do any of you have any recommendations on positive music.....that is,what are some good artists or types of music to go for "positivity"?

Also,do you have any interesting thoughts about what makes a song more positive? For example, I've observed that some music from the 80s has a more positive sound to it and I think that a large part of it is due to the synthesizers. Certain types of electric guitar,on the other hand,make songs sound depressing. (I wish I knew music more so I could express this more eloquently)
dance music overall is mood changer to the positive, French electro is quite uplifting, but some of the songs have sad chords try Justice, Sebastien Tellier, (Calle 13) spanish they make me laugh

wooaah

Bobby Mcferrin seems right up your alley if you don't listen to him already. He wrote the song "don't worry, be happy" in the 80s. And his other stuff is very light and fun too. Great voice.

If you don't mind listening to international music this cd by japanese artist Toshinobu Kubota http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SRCL-3721 is my last resort mood lifter.

Also recently some guitarists from the label CandyRat have been getting a lot of attention in youtube. I recommend searching youtube for Antoine Dufour, his stuff is very bouncy and the songs he adds a little funk into just makes me happy. This is one of my favorites: www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJL3Buw0l0

... in fact. I was struggling to think of a genre that you could call happy. Because theres just so much variety of music even in one genre. But funk. yeh. funk is happy (for me anyway). and awesome. and probably the only genre of music that will stay cool forever.

best thing to do i think is just find one artist you like, on music sites or youtube or whatever, then scour the comments for recommendations for similar music. www.pandora.com is a great site for doing that if you're in the US (i think its blocked in all other countries due to licensing issues). And www.muxtape.com is a great site to just check out what other people are listening too, and hear some new music.

Digitaldreams

Thanks for the advice,SocialButterSlip & wooaah.

wooaah said:
... in fact. I was struggling to think of a genre that you could call happy. Because theres just so much variety of music even in one genre. But funk. yeh. funk is happy (for me anyway). and awesome. and probably the only genre of music that will stay cool forever.
Yeah,funk is cool. BTW,I think that ska also might be a genre that could be called happier music. Most trumpet music in rock,I think, tends to be happier music. (i.e. Early Chicago,The Brian Setzer Orchestra)

Triselle

Yes, music helps improve your mood. But listening to harcore, rock or screamo is not going to help because listening to those are gonna make your mind more tense. So if i were you i'd stick to more classical music, or maybe other than that disco can help because it'll make you dance and then you'll wanna start to dance. =D

asubscriber99

i like eminem, he takes my anger to the roof. javascript:emoticon(':x')
Mad :x

listen to Lose Your Self, and start eating college books. javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing

Digitaldreams

I tend to listen to Megadeth or Metallica for anger. :wink: In the long run,though,anger doesn't seem to aid me in any way.

Ajuna24

I listen to music quite often, but I have never found it to be having a therapeutic effect on me, other than that I become less likely to smash my face in the wall.

bleach

Banned
Funk rules!!! I could give you thousands of recommendations and/or uploads if anyone is looking. And yes it does cheer me up.

Iseesky

I actually made my friend a CD entitled 'happy songs.' Pretty original eh?!
But, a few of my favourites are:

1. Train- Drops of Jupiter
2. The La’s- There She Goes
3. New Radicals- Dreamers Disease
4. Oasis- Wonderwall
5. Matchbox 20- Unwell
6. Cranberries- Linger
7. Matchbox 20- Story of a Girl
8. Deep Blue Something- Breakfast at Tiffany’s
9. The Stone Roses- Waterfall
10. Rob Thomas- Ever The Same
11. Sixpence None the Richer- Kiss Me

Mainly all of them are from the 90's...I think.

But, my all time favourite song, and the song that immediately puts me in a good mood is She's So High by Tal Bachman. I play it all day on repeat. It's the only song that I never get tired of.

Also, I find that anything by the B-52s always cheers me up...it's just so bizarre and up beat.