Music and my Anxiety

Bustn Justin

For the past while I have made some amazing progress with my anxiety.

One thing that puts my anxiety off for awhile is listening to music that I enjoy. For me techno music makes me chill out and want to dance. I am in the moment and don't think of the past or the future.

I like to check out different tunes on youtube but was always afriad to like them since most peeps I know on FB are not into that type of music. A few months I decided that thier opinion wasn't important and decided to like what I like. To my suprise I had a couple of peeps hit me up on FB and were happy I shared simillar interest in music.

The first wanted me to meet up with him so he can share some music he had on his flash drive so I can experience different artists.

The second one I knew 3 years back but never hung out. He would announce where he has been doing his DJ sets on FB and always felt awkward asking him if I could come and check out his spins. Of course he has allowed me to come and really liked what he has mixed. A few days later I hit him up on FB chat and talked about the musicand gave me the heads up on future shows. Just a month ago we were talking and then finally opened up about my anxiety. To my suprise he was very understanding about it and glad I talked about it instead of hiding it for so many years.

This friend has also begun DJ at a local bar once a week and I go there to support him. When I walk inside the first thing I want to do when I hear the music playing is that I want to go dance (even by myself) and did not care if peeps watched me or not since I dance with my eyes closed. This particular night I found it cool that most peeps who show up go to enjoy the music, which makes less imtimidating when I come up to introduce myself. By the third I have come to this club, some of the peeps that I have seen before I walked up to them and started talking to them although the conversations are short.

I am glad I took some small steps and opening myself to other people and focus more on the process rather than the progress.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

...I am glad I took some small steps and opening myself to other people and focus more on the process rather than the progress.

That's well put - I just found this out too. Focus on the PROCESS not the PROGRESS. For progress will be slow; focusing on that's always doomed me in the end. Progress will come. Can't force it. Glad to hear you're making small steps Justin and the music is working/helping ya.